AVS Forum banner

DVDFab Can Create Dolby Vision Playable Files

19K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Shub Niggurath 
#1 ·
The most recent version of DVDFab can now create files that are capable of playing back Dolby Vision from a computer:

World's 1st simple solution to enjoy Cinema equivalent Dolby Vision videos at home is here — DVDFab UHD Ripper now can convert 4K UHD Blu-ray discs containing Dolby Vision contents to MP4 videos, retaining the breath-taking Dolby Vision video quality and featuring the top-tier AAC 7.1/E-AC-3 5.1 audios, that a modern home 4K UHD TV can handle. No need to go to a cinema, and no need of an expensive hardware 4K UHD player, neither!

#3 ·
The most recent version of DVDFab can now create files that are capable of playing back Dolby Vision from a computer:
To be clear, they are just introducing a method to rip a dolby vision file into an MP4 container for playback on certain devices including some UHD TVs, not necessarily playback on a PC. I'm not sure what the status of DV playback on PC's is.

#4 ·
It works fine using the DVDFab Media Player

#8 ·
Yes with DVDFab you can now convert dual layer DV to single layer DV. It uses an MP4 container. This will allow you to play back UHD rips on devices like the Apple TV 4K that only support single layer DV. I have tested it successfully myself in Infuse. The problem is that the MP4 container has some limitations like lack of proper HD audio support, chapters, PGS subtitles, etc. Some people have gotten DTS-MA to work at least in an MP4 container. There is more info here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18602. I really wish matroska could get DV working in an MKV container as that would address all these issues. As for playback on an HTPC, I have no idea.

#15 ·
Keep an eye on the website, there are often sales. I just received an email the other day concerning Black Friday. I got everything (minus the UHD components) two years ago for under $100. Although I haven't used hardly any of it except for the DVD/Blu-Ray ripper.

As to which one, as this seems to pertain to 4k, you would likely be looking at the UHD ripper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.