Atmos really playing from Netflix app HTPC to Denon? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By WynsWrld98
  • 1 Post By WynsWrld98
  • 1 Post By db999md
  • 1 Post By denyam

post #1 of 27 Old 05-21-2019, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Atmos really playing from Netflix app HTPC to Denon?

Windows 10 HTPC (Intel NUC) with Netflix app having issues getting Denon to display Atmos on front of it/Info menu. HDMI connection directly between HTPC and Denon X6300H.

Playing Atmos content from Netflix app I'm confused by my Denon X6300H displaying Dolby Digital + on Info menu and front of Denon but when hitting the Movie button on Denon remote it automatically has Atmos selected as shown in the pics but why doesn't it show Atmos on Denon? So I'm not sure I'm really hearing Atmos. Then I played some Netflix titles that do not show Atmos on the Netflix info for the titles but when I hit the Movie button on the Denon it also has Atmos selected as shown in second picture which makes no sense.

When I play an MKV with Atmos on the HTPC the Denon displays Atmos correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with Netflix app on HTPC to a Denon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2569794   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2569796   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2569798  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 2021
From my understanding, Netflix Atmos is not supported on PC's.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Interesting. I would think it wouldn't show Atmos on the info page for the title. That's how I thought it worked that if the device can't playback Atmos it doesn't show up on the Netflix info page. Maybe for HTPCs it's a bit different than something like a Shield, Roku, etc. Hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
From https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Which devices support Dolby Atmos audio with Netflix?
The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix. For exact device models with Dolby Atmos available, please visit the device manufacturer's website.

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)

LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)

Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)

Pixela 4K Smart Tuner

Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)

Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 or newer models)

Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)

Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)

Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
SuperFist likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-22-2019, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Did you have the Atmos app for windows 10 setup and running? It should be free and you only need free mode as long as you have an Atmos amp.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Did you have the Atmos app for windows 10 setup and running? It should be free and you only need free mode as long as you have an Atmos amp.
Yes but for some odd reason in the Windows Sound if I click the Configure button Atmos is getting deselected. I'll select it, apply it, play something in Netflix and get Atmos on the Denon but then later I won't get Atmos then look at Configure and it's set to stereo vs. Atmos. Not sure why/how it's getting deselected, weird and annoying.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a similar problem with my own x4100w Denon. It shows as a device that is connected to the desktop. After the last update of windows 10, I can no longer see it as a default device in the sound settings. I get atmos for headphones but not for home theater????
post #8 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The whole problem arises from the fact that Windows 10 will only allow Atmos for your PC if you pay a license for it.

This creates a whole problem because nVidia has to cycle their drivers whether the user has an Atmos license or not. It's a big problem and I've beaten my head againsts the wall over it for months.

That said, when it IS installed correctly, Atmos works beautifully and my AVR sees it as such. The Punisher is a good Netflix show to demonstrate it.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
The whole problem arises from the fact that Windows 10 will only allow Atmos for your PC if you pay a license for it.

This creates a whole problem because nVidia has to cycle their drivers whether the user has an Atmos license or not. It's a big problem and I've beaten my head againsts the wall over it for months.

That said, when it IS installed correctly, Atmos works beautifully and my AVR sees it as such. The Punisher is a good Netflix show to demonstrate it.
I thought they only charge for Dolby Headphones when I installed the plug in.
ratbuddy likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I had to reinstall this after the latest Win10 update and with an ATMOS AVR it is free, only the headphone app has a charge. This makes since as you already paid for the license when you bought the AVR. The update also clobbered my HDMI audio driver so I also had to reinstall the same version of that.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 05-27-2019 at 08:15 PM.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Windows 10 HTPC (Intel NUC) with Netflix app having issues getting Denon to display Atmos on front of it/Info menu. HDMI connection directly between HTPC and Denon X6300H.

Playing Atmos content from Netflix app I'm confused by my Denon X6300H displaying Dolby Digital + on Info menu and front of Denon but when hitting the Movie button on Denon remote it automatically has Atmos selected as shown in the pics but why doesn't it show Atmos on Denon? So I'm not sure I'm really hearing Atmos. Then I played some Netflix titles that do not show Atmos on the Netflix info for the titles but when I hit the Movie button on the Denon it also has Atmos selected as shown in second picture which makes no sense.

When I play an MKV with Atmos on the HTPC the Denon displays Atmos correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with Netflix app on HTPC to a Denon?

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that netflix atmos is compressed dolby digital + the atmos info on top of it instead of the lossless atmos that you get on the HD blu-rays. For what it is worth, when you play atmos content from netflix on apple tv to my denon x4300h it shows atmos on the front of the receiver. I have an xbox one s in another room with a denon x2400h and that shows atmos on the receiver also when playing netflix atmos.

For what it is worth, as much as I generally dislike apple products I have found that the apple tv is the best awy to play dolby atmos from netflix. I used to use the xbox one s for this about 1 year ago but I got all kinds of dropouts with the denon and xbox one s. I think this may have been fixed with xbox firmware updates, but not 100% sure ( i do not watch atmos content much in that other room with the x2400h so I cannot really tell you if the problems are fixed.)

The bad thing about apple tv is there is no passthru of lossless audio to the receiver. SO if you have an atmos file and you want to play it with plex on the apple tx you are out of luck. For that I need to use the nvidia shield. Still looking for one device that will do everything! At least I now have it narrowed down to the shield and the appletv.

my HTPC does not have a good enough video card to play netflix 4k so I cannot try to duplicate your issue.

Dennis
ckronengold likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I had to reinstall this after the latest Win10 update and with an ATMOS AVR it is free, only the headphone app has a charge. This makes since as you already paid for the license when you bought the AVR. The update also clobbered my HDMI audio driver so I also had to reinstall the same version of that.
Thank you Microsoft (sigh)
post #13 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Have the same question. I had my HTPC with a Zotac 1050ti connected to Denon S720 and a TCL P605. Whenever I played a movie with Atmos through the Netflix Win10 app, the AVR display showed Atmos.

I have since put an RTX2060 int he HTPC and switched to a Pioneer LX503 AVR and PX800HD projector and this changed all of my sound settings in Windows. When I select "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" the changes never stick and always revert back to stereo. Now when I play an Atmos movie in the app, the new AVR shows DD+ and only five speakers are lit up in the display. I am not sure if I'm getting Atmos sound. If I play a movie labeled 5.1 in Netflix, the AVR also shows DD+.

Viewsonic PX800HD | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Audio Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Surrounds + Atmos | Bic V1020 x2
post #14 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
Have the same question. I had my HTPC with a Zotac 1050ti connected to Denon S720 and a TCL P605. Whenever I played a movie with Atmos through the Netflix Win10 app, the AVR display showed Atmos.

I have since put an RTX2060 int he HTPC and switched to a Pioneer LX503 AVR and PX800HD projector and this changed all of my sound settings in Windows. When I select "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" the changes never stick and always revert back to stereo. Now when I play an Atmos movie in the app, the new AVR shows DD+ and only five speakers are lit up in the display. I am not sure if I'm getting Atmos sound. If I play a movie labeled 5.1 in Netflix, the AVR also shows DD+.
In the Windows sound settings if you click the Configure button does it have Atmos selected? When my AVR was showing DD+ playing a Netflix Atmos movie it was because the Configuration setting was set to Stereo not Atmos. But every once in awhile that Configuration setting will change from Atmos to Stereo ; I have not been able to figure out a pattern when it does it. I'd bet if the AVR is showing DD+ vs Atmos it isn't playing Atmos.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In the Windows sound settings if you click the Configure button does it have Atmos selected? When my AVR was showing DD+ playing a Netflix Atmos movie it was because the Configuration setting was set to Stereo not Atmos. But every once in awhile that Configuration setting will change from Atmos to Stereo ; I have not been able to figure out a pattern when it does it. I'd bet if the AVR is showing DD+ vs Atmos it isn't playing Atmos.

Nope. If I select Atmos, it always reverts back to stereo as soon as I close the window. If I select anything else, 5.1, 7.1, the changes take but I still see DD+ on the AVR.

Viewsonic PX800HD | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Audio Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Surrounds + Atmos | Bic V1020 x2
post #16 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope. If I select Atmos, it always reverts back to stereo as soon as I close the window. If I select anything else, 5.1, 7.1, the changes take but I still see DD+ on the AVR.
That's different than the behavior I get with my setup.
post #17 of 27 Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine with a 1050ti was doing the exact same thing after the latest Windows update. I did a right click on the audio icon and ran the fix issue. It gave me an option to reload the HDMI Audio driver and cleared up the issue. Atmos should still work for all your bitstream players but to get Netflix Atmos for me this needs to be set to Atmos.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #18 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Welp, not sure what I did but last night I decided to fiddle around with the sound settings and low and behold, choosing Dolby Atmos for Home Theater actually kept this time. When I now play an Atmos movie in the Netflix app, my AVR shows "Atmos/D+" and all 7 speakers light up.

post #19 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by denyam View Post
I have a similar problem with my own x4100w Denon. It shows as a device that is connected to the desktop. After the last update of windows 10, I can no longer see it as a default device in the sound settings. I get atmos for headphones but not for home theater????
Try to reinstall the audio drivers and search for updated audio drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
NOT TRUE! Atmos works just fine for free if you have a receiver.

Quote:
But every once in awhile that Configuration setting will change from Atmos to Stereo ; I have not been able to figure out a pattern when it does it.
The pattern is this:
1. after each Windows feature update -> reset to Stereo
2. if you start the Audio configuration wizard but you cancel midway or fail to set it properly -> reset to Stereo

LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC8I3BEH2 (HDMI 2.0a), i3-8109U (Coffee Lake , 2018) and Intel NUC7i3BNH (HDMI 2.0a), i3-7100U (Kaby Lake, 2017), both NUC's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapter, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #20 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM

I thank you for your support, I've done all of the things you mentioned. I even reset my window OS to previous versions ( still windows 10) now I see hdcp support, as well as the other hd version of audio. The problem now is that I have a different screen display on my TV screen than what I see on my desktop. I'm just gonna leave it alone for the moment to take my mind off it before I begin to lose my mind. Lol
post #21 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 746
It is not necessary to set Windows to Atmos in order for Netflix to bitstream it to your receiver. I would actually recommend against doing so, since it usually does no good, and at worst can prevent your receiver from upconverting non-Atmos signals. The one exception would be games written to use that Atmos output mode, but there are still not many of those and you'll probably know it if you're playing one.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM

It's strange how this happened, because the desktop output is Hdmi to avrx4100 hdmi output to my tv. My tablet nuvision output hdmi to avrx4100 with atmos.. shows the same display on both the tablet and tv. The saddest thing i've encountered is that Microsoft doesn't have the ability, or just doesn't care about this thing
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM

My internet service is too slow (Verizon doesn't provide fios in parts of Baltimore) as if the fact I am living here is not bad enough. I used Netflix from my phone and cast it to my Roku 3, which sends to my avr x4100w Denon. I get atmos with no problem. I was just trying to get it back to the setup I had before the last update of windows 10. Thanks for your support as well. It's not the worst thing I've encountered in my life, but I would just like to have what I have paid for with the Dolby access app on windows 10
post #24 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:48 AM

There are a lot of videos on u tube that I really enjoy watching with the DSU on my audio system using 5.1.4
post #25 of 27 Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Whenever I play DDt, my avr x4100w always displays atmos on the info as Dolby digital plus input and Dolby atmos output
post #26 of 27 Old 06-01-2019, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
It is not necessary to set Windows to Atmos in order for Netflix to bitstream it to your receiver. I would actually recommend against doing so, since it usually does no good, and at worst can prevent your receiver from upconverting non-Atmos signals. The one exception would be games written to use that Atmos output mode, but there are still not many of those and you'll probably know it if you're playing one.
Can you give us a way to do this? Even on the Netflix web sight it states you must install the Dolby Atmos App for it to work. This issue came back for me again after another Win10 update. This time I had to remove the Dolby Atmos app and reinstall it. Its now working but I fear another reboot will clobber it again. I have no issues bitstreaming ATMOS lossless with all my players its only DD+ lossey from Netflix that has issues.

post #27 of 27 Old 06-01-2019, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Can you give us a way to do this? Even on the Netflix web sight it states you must install the Dolby Atmos App for it to work. This issue came back for me again after another Win10 update. This time I had to remove the Dolby Atmos app and reinstall it. Its now working but I fear another reboot will clobber it again. I have no issues bitstreaming ATMOS lossless with all my players its only DD+ lossey from Netflix that has issues.
I don't really know, because I've never had to do anything special to get it working. I leave my Windows sound on 7.1, unless I'm playing a game that only supports 5.1, in which case I switch to that. When playing content from the Netflix app, the receiver simply switches to say DD+ or Atmos no matter what setting Windows was on. The Netflix app just takes over the audio connection and bitstreams whatever format the show is in.

What kind of video card are you using? I'm on Nvidia, maybe AMD or Intel have some issues with this?

edit: I should also try it here - I haven't used Netflix in about a month, maybe they broke something. Their dev team is pretty bad.

Last edited by ratbuddy; 06-01-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page