Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Windows 10 v.1903 Update

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 505
OMG !
Another one, I wonder what's going to be broken now !?
SuperFist likes this.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shutdown for one thing... No amount of anything yet including making sure fast boot is not enabled and a run of CCleaner allows to fully shutdown. While the process completes, fans are still running on HTPC. This is probably just on my end somehow and won't affect others cuz I'm lucky like that.

Using Kodi v.19 I've checked my scripts and players still work as intended:

PowerDVD v.18 good for 3D frame packed iso's.
DVDFab Media Player v.13 good for HDR iso's.
MPC-HC/BE and PotPlayer including madVR good for mkv's and iso's 2D and 3D.
Kodi v.19 VideoPlayer good too.

nVidia did not update and I don't want it to but it did revert some settings but not all of them. Color space mainly.

Still plugging along here. Going to safe boot and see if it fully shuts down next so I know if it's a 3rd party app causing it. Wish me luck...

*EDIT*
Well, safe mode leaves me with a hung 'Windows is shutting down' window. Even holding in the power button does nothing. Have to turn off PSU. Wonderful...

Anyone else using 1903 experiencing this? Again, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only lucky one.

*EDIT*
Turns out my RocketRaid Controller Card isn't compatible anymore. I never did like it anyway. My old USB Bluetooth dongle is acting up too. Won't retain pairing after a reboot. Windows shutdown is fine now after removing the controller card.

*EDIT* Turns out reinstalling the same ol' controller driver fixed both issues. No need to upgrade any components. Small miracles do happen. So far... so good.

W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz

Last edited by brazen1; 05-22-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Very happily running 1803 still on 5 PCs at home and at work.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I upgraded 5 PCs to 1903 on May 21 with no issues. All are Haswell or Ivy Bridge. I just had to change some telemetry settings and re-enable WASAPI for Kodi and Foobar 2000 as per usual with new Windows 10 builds. I updated my GPU drivers prior to updating to 1903.
brazen1 likes this.

Last edited by Slosh; 05-23-2019 at 12:41 AM.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked: 2811
If your HTPC is working fine as it is, dont update. Simple.
SuperFist likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes but some of us use our HTPC's as all in one solutions. We're here to report affects upgrading. So far, I've found nothing detrimental other than reinstalling a couple very old specific W7 hardware drivers. Fwiw, I too had to reenable wasapi in Kodi. The official roll out was yesterday when I posted this. Not sure if earlier installs are going to update to this build? Here are some known issues with this release: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/known...ay-2019-update

And here are a few snippets related to our community. The 2nd one affected me but for some reason has been working fine after one episode when it threw a fit.

Audio not working with Dolby Atmos Headphones and home theater
Unable to discover or connect to Bluetooth devices
Intel Audio displays an intcdaud.sys notification
Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi connectivity
AMD RAID driver incompatibility
D3D applications and games may fail to enter full-screen mode on rotated displays

There has been a report that Fullscreen Exclusive does not work anymore. I know MS has been debating dropping it. I don't use it anymore anyway. I enabled it just to test. It no longer reports Fullscreen Exclusive. It just reports Exclusive. HDR does engage and I see no adverse affects using it. Disabling it reports Fullscreen Windowed normally. This too looks fine to me.

Last edited by brazen1; 05-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #8 of 34 Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If your HTPC is working fine as it is, dont update. Simple.
To keep Windows from updating, you're disabling it in the Task Manager ?

And if one did that, does that not kill all the updates, like the useful security updates ?
Is there a way just to keep the OS from updating, and even then, things like drivers and other programs will or may eventually stop working because the security updates for those said drivers and programs become out of date themselves in an older version of Windows ?

Windows 10 is a ****ty OS !

EDIT:
And of course there's all of this...

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nstalling.html

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-24-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think it's ****ty? Been checking out the new built in 'Sandbox' feature. I like it. A lot. As for your update worries, this build has more adjustments for update control then you can imagine including deferrals you define although I can't imagine why you would want to defer anything. I've never had any problems with updates now or in the past? Maybe it's a difference when using pro.

post #10 of 34 Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I don't think it's ****ty? Been checking out the new built in 'Sandbox' feature. I like it. A lot. As for your update worries, this build has more adjustments for update control then you can imagine including deferrals you define although I can't imagine why you would want to defer anything. I've never had any problems with updates now or in the past? Maybe it's a difference when using pro.
I don't have the Pro version, so the extra options to control Windows update are not available to me.

We'll agree to disagree on if it's shi**ty or not, all I know is that I've spent more time trouble shooting with this OS then any other.
Driver incompatibility issues and that branches out to things not functioning properly, like my Logitech mouse pad 3 finger swipe action has stopped working in Windows Movie and TV App again, this happened after a did a restore point to try and fix a problem with the HDR not functioning correctly.

I've now wasted another hour of my time trying to get the 3 finger swipe action to work, and it's still not working _ the Windows restore botched that function up some how _ re-installing the Logitech driver didn't help _ probably have to nuke and pave to get it to work _ another entire day gone nursing it through that !

I think if I go that route I'll go to 1903, and I always burn a disc, wipe the drive and start fresh and hope to God that things don't get worse.

On a 3 thousand dollar Dell gaming laptop the Synaptics Touch Pad driver is botched, scrolling icons randomly get stuck on the screen, another 1/2 a day trying to fix that and that doesn't work yet and probably never will.
Microsoft would have me spend another 3 grand to replace the laptop to one that's designed for W10, they can go screw themselves, even more so since the one I have is not even 3 years old, it came with W8.1.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, I have an old HP HDX 18, that runs W10, but the fans and processor are constantly kept busy with all crap running in W10.
I re-installed W7 and all is well, the funny thing is that one came with Vista and worked well enough, but W10 keeps things very busy on it.
Sometimes doing a clean install of 10 works for a few weeks, but then it starts draining its resources.

Windows 10 is like a "colicky" poorly designed British Sports car.
Rather then do right in the first place and leave it alone, the engineers are constantly trying to fix a buggered up design when they should start fresh.
All there buggering around just makes it worse.

I think I'll get 1903 to work and turn off Windows update, but I also use the TV app to rent movies, so with out Windows update, that will stop working eventually, there's no winning.

So there you go.
The scree shot shows the scrolling icons that get stuck on the desk top on the Dell gaming machine.
On a god note, the WiFi dropping seems to have magically fixed itself on the Dell laptop.

I would have to remember to copy and paste my posts so I wouldn't loose what I just typed when the radio suddenly turned it self off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Even More.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	2571214  
post #11 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You're using an 11 year old computer designed for Windows 7 and blaming Windows 10 for your problems?
Your using an old Dell laptop designed for some O/S prior to Windows 10, vintage unknown, and blaming Windows 10 because your Logitech mouse pad drivers don't work properly but do using Windows 7? You paid a lot of money back in the day so 11 years old or not, you expect them to work forever through every O/S upgrade? Therefore, Windows is poorly designed?

That said, my HTPC is 11 years old too. I'm running the latest upgraded edition of Windows 10 v.1903. I have no problems and this isn't just an HTPC playing back every single format there is perfectly. It's a workstation too. Granted, I've upgraded things like hard drives and video cards once or twice through the years. I stay away from laptops because they can't be hardware upgraded and you're left in your position.

But to blame the Windows 10 platform? C'mon...

post #12 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're using an 11 year old computer designed for Windows 7 and blaming Windows 10 for your problems?
Your using an old Dell laptop designed for some O/S prior to Windows 10, vintage unknown, and blaming Windows 10 because your Logitech mouse pad drivers don't work properly but do using Windows 7? You paid a lot of money back in the day so 11 years old or not, you expect them to work forever through every O/S upgrade? Therefore, Windows is poorly designed?

That said, my HTPC is 11 years old too. I'm running the latest upgraded edition of Windows 10 v.1903. I have no problems and this isn't just an HTPC playing back every single format there is perfectly. It's a workstation too. Granted, I've upgraded things like hard drives and video cards once or twice through the years. I stay away from laptops because they can't be hardware upgraded and you're left in your position.

But to blame the Windows 10 platform? C'mon...
The Dell laptop is only around 3 years old, my HTPC is newer still, so yeah, I blame Windows 10 and or software/hardware companies like Logitech and Dell for not providing drivers that work properly.
How difficult is it to properly re-write drivers to work on machines that are only 3 or 4 years old ?

Ironically the 11 year old HDX18 has the least problems when it comes to driver compatibility, but it doesn't really have the resources to run W10.
The screen shot is from the Dell and the Synaptics touch pad driver problem with W10 with all the scrolling icons freezing on the screen.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #13 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Microsoft would have me spend another 3 grand to replace the laptop to one that's designed for W10, it came with W8.1.

I have an old HP HDX 18, that runs W10, came with Vista.
3 years old or not, one was designed for Windows 8.1 and the other Vista. It's new old stock. Still, your problems are on the devices inside your old laptop hardware designed for old O/S's. Not so much on Dell for not influencing driver support from manufactures to continue on this older hardware but ultimately on you for expecting this hardware to continue functioning into the more modern O/S, Windows 10 no matter the build. It's common that device manufactures discontinue support for their older hardware especially into new O/S's. That said, many times older devices work or half work using older O/S drivers with a newer O/S. I use a couple VERY old drivers for a couple peripherals myself.

I have to disagree with you here about Windows 10 being the problem and you cringing at every update of builds stating it suffers from excessive gas in the alimentary canal. Things advance. Next time spend big money on something you can upgrade to keep up with driver and software advancements imo. Maybe live without a 3 finger swipe function.

Last edited by brazen1; 05-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3 years old or not, one was designed for Windows 8.1 and the other Vista. It's new old stock. Still, your problems are on the devices inside your old laptop hardware designed for old O/S's. Not so much on Dell for not influencing driver support from manufactures to continue on this older hardware but ultimately on you for expecting this hardware to continue functioning into the more modern O/S, Windows 10 no matter the build. It's common that device manufactures discontinue support for their older hardware especially into new O/S's. That said, many times older devices work or half work using older O/S drivers with a newer O/S. I use a couple VERY old drivers for a couple peripherals myself.

I have to disagree with you here about Windows 10 being the problem and you cringing at every update of builds stating it suffers from excessive gas in the alimentary canal. Things advance. Next time spend big money on something you can upgrade to keep up with driver and software advancements imo. Maybe live without a 3 finger swipe function.
I'm updating my HTPC now, I tried doing an in-situe install and that didn't work, a dll file from the Logitech driver was still in there somewhere.
I would get this on the screen every time I booted up telling me the file was not to be found _ re-installing the driver didn't help.
CCleaner didn't help either.

So I'm at the point where I wiped the drive and started from scratch.
I also got rid of the UEFI boot in the BIOS and just went to legacy. (all those useless partitions)

When I get things up and running, I will create some restore discs like I used to do in W7 and use those if something stops working.

The part that's frustrating is the 3 finger swipe was working and in trying to fix a another problem and going back to a restore point, that's when it broke.
I'll post again and let you know if my nuke and pave method works, but I do know the registry was a mess.

And yes things advance, but at least I can upgrade the HTPC, and there are new drivers for the MoBo for it.
Like I said though, the industry is dreaming if it expects people to blow 3000.00$ dollars every 3 years just because things become out of date.
Even more so if all it would take is some new drivers from Dell.
Having them not updating drivers just pushes customers away I would think, I would never by another Dell laptop again, or HP for that matter.

I'm not in the "buy a new product crowd" just because there us a new one available, even more so when it comes to vehicles.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not in the "buy a new product crowd" just because there us a new one available, even more so when it comes to vehicles.

I hear ya'. Nor am I. I'm about as resourceful as one can get tbh. I hope your install goes well and you get your functions back using v.1903. The last time I installed Windows fresh and did a setup was W7. Every update after has been an upgrade over 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and all the builds since release. One day I will install fresh. I simply haven't had a reason to... yet. Knock on wood.

post #16 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a similar problem with the new windows 10 update. I can only get Dolby atmos for headphones. Prior to the update I was able to use Dolby access app to play Dolby atmos for home theater. All I get is 2 channel audio and no HDCP SUPPORT. My x4100w Denon avr doesn't show up in the sound settings as a default device, but it shows as a connected device in the device manager. I have tried to download the relatek driver with no success, uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. The sound settings used to show 5.1 and 7.1 audio
post #17 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Microsoft has been no help at all. I tried Google for a HD audio drivers update for HDCP SUPPORT no help PLEASE HELP ME
post #18 of 34 Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 548
What media player are you using?
post #19 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Last weekend we updated my friend's old PC to 1903 without issue. It's a Core2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB DDR2. The only upgrades are a 120GB SSD and an AMD R7 360 GPU. It took quite a while to install but is working perfectly.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 02:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 4750
My rule throughout the years with regard to computers and electronics has served me well and every time I don't heed it, I regret it...

DON'T UPDATE ANYTHING UNLESS YOU NEED TO!!!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #21 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To keep Windows from updating, you're disabling it in the Task Manager ?

And if one did that, does that not kill all the updates, like the useful security updates ?
Is there a way just to keep the OS from updating, and even then, things like drivers and other programs will or may eventually stop working because the security updates for those said drivers and programs become out of date themselves in an older version of Windows ?

Windows 10 is a ****ty OS !

EDIT:
And of course there's all of this...

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nstalling.html
I'm still on 1703. Everything's working great so I'm not updating.

I disabled windows update service, background intelligent transfer service, and update orchestrator service. I can't remember if I did anything else, it's been almost 2 years. Whatever it was, seems to have been effective.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #22 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyam View Post
I have a similar problem with the new windows 10 update. I can only get Dolby atmos for headphones. Prior to the update I was able to use Dolby access app to play Dolby atmos for home theater. All I get is 2 channel audio and no HDCP SUPPORT. My x4100w Denon avr doesn't show up in the sound settings as a default device, but it shows as a connected device in the device manager. I have tried to download the relatek driver with no success, uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. The sound settings used to show 5.1 and 7.1 audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by denyam View Post
Microsoft has been no help at all. I tried Google for a HD audio drivers update for HDCP SUPPORT no help PLEASE HELP ME
Dolby atmos should be played by bitstreaming the format to your receiver. You do not need the dolby atmos app.

post #23 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm still on 1703. Everything's working great so I'm not updating.

I disabled windows update service, background intelligent transfer service, and update orchestrator service. I can't remember if I did anything else, it's been almost 2 years. Whatever it was, seems to have been effective.
Did you disable the "Windows Update" service as well, or is that still running ?

Logitech actually got back to me concerning my mouse pad (T650), they have another driver for me to try.

There something definitely wrong with how the 3 finger gesture works with Windows apps, it works fine in Firefox, but not in IE11.
That would also explain why it's not working in the Windows Movie and TV app, the question is, what's broken ?

It doesn't matter obviously about IE11 not working, but not the other.
If I'm surfing around looking at movies and trailers, it becomes quite tiresome to have to keep mousing up with my finger to hit the back arrow to get back to the previous screen.
While this wouldn't be a problem on small computer monitor, it becomes tedious on a large screen in a home theatre.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-29-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Logitech MX Revolution Bluetooth Mousehttps://support.logitech.com/en_my/a...00000069usMAAQ
Best mouse ever made. I have a back button programed for my thumb along with a few others. Convenient for large screen. No dongle needed if your device has Bluetooth. Just pair it using Windows 10 pairing in settings. Charger. 11 programable buttons. Ergonomic. I really like it. Cheap on eBay.
beerhunt likes this.

post #25 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Logitech MX Revolution Bluetooth Mousehttps://support.logitech.com/en_my/a...00000069usMAAQ
Best mouse ever made. I have a back button programed for my thumb along with a few others. Convenient for large screen. No dongle needed if your device has Bluetooth. Just pair it using Windows 10 pairing in settings. Charger. 11 programable buttons. Ergonomic. I really like it. Cheap on eBay.
Yeah, it looks like I'm heading in that direction, I have a very old Microsoft presenter mouse and that works _ go figure.
I would have to make some sort of hard mouse pad for my lap, there's no table handy for the mouse.
post #26 of 34 Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
Last weekend we updated my friend's old PC to 1903 without issue. It's a Core2 Quad Q6600 with 4GB DDR2. The only upgrades are a 120GB SSD and an AMD R7 360 GPU. It took quite a while to install but is working perfectly.

My 2006 IBM ThinkPad Z61t running Win10 Pro 32-bit updated to 1903 with no issues, except time taken!
Config: Centrino Duo T2300 @1.66 GHz; 4 GB memory installed, 3 GB usable; 256 GB SSD but still running on SATA 1.0 of course!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #27 of 34 Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can anyone tell me what to set to what so my HTPC is outputting only bitstream via the HDMI on the GE Force GT970 graphics card?

Windows 10, all the updates.

PowerDVD 19 Ultimate, decoding switched off in that piece of software.

Symptom I get is loud crackling sound in loud bits like "The Martian" blast-off section near the end. I was previously told it was caused by handshaking issues between the AVR and HTPC and that I should output just undecoded Bitstream to the AVR and let the AVR do the sound processing.
post #28 of 34 Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In Audio settings/Output mode, select Non-decoded Hi Def Audio which it looks like you did.
Also make sure Wasapi is selected under Misc.

post #29 of 34 Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
In Audio settings/Output mode, select Non-decoded Hi Def Audio which it looks like you did.
Also make sure Wasapi is selected under Misc.
Is that in PowerDVD or Windows?

If Windows, where?
post #30 of 34 Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PowerDVD. As with any player, you want to passthrough the audio and let your AVR handle everything. For me, Windows audio properties output is also important. That is where the nVidia choice of HDAudio driver comes in. Newer drivers do not work for me. You use a 980. I use a 960. Whether any of this has anything to do with your "crackle" is unknown but I'd start with making sure your basics are covered.

I just tried the 3D version of the movie DTS-HDMA 7.1 using PDVD v.19 with no obvious crackle or any distortion so I highly doubt it has anything to do with PDVD. Besides, it's passing through audio if the proper settings are chosen. Then it would be on the AVR calibration, your speakers, sub rca cable, cable routing, etc. imo. Maybe even your RIP. I'm sure you know all of this. I just don't see this build of Windows 10 v1903 or PowerDVD v19 the culprits. If and when you get it solved, please come back and post your findings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page