Plex server died. Assassin HTPC, rebuild, or wait MadVR Envy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Plex server died. Assassin HTPC, rebuild, or wait MadVR Envy

So my current Plex Server died. my gtx 1070 graphics card, power supply and all 3 HD's failed.

So do I rebuild it, buy a Assassin HTPC (last time I shipped my system to him to configure) or wait for the MadVR envy?
I never used the last system as my HTPC, since the computer was dual use, the kids used it all the time so leaving it on htpc mode wasn't realistic.

I have a rack upstairs where the system sits, and use control4 as my remote for my main theater downstairs. I watch 80% netflix, 10% hulu, and 10% movies from my plex server, which are mostly 1080p, but starting to get 4k movies watching on the plex server. I just moved from roku 4k ultra to the appletv 4k for the dolby atmos. I have a 4k BenQ LK970 laser projector and really want MadVR.

I'm stil trying to learn about MadVR, but I believe if I understand it, it's starting to be more dynamic and changes based on source. I'm hoping colors and even some of the scaling will look better.

MadVR Envy sounds really cool, but little detail and not sure I want to keep waiting. Kids still need a gaming system as well, so might do 2 systems, unless there is a way to easily always auto launch the theater mode of the software thru a remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 411
All of those components failed in your server? That seems highly unlikely unless you had an extreme power surge and had no protection for the PC (a UPS with surge protection is a must). Have you tested any of them in another PC to see if they actually failed? Test the components to verify that they have truly failed before doing anything else.

Forget about Assassin HTPC. The business is now run by someone else and it's not the same as before. Building a HTPC isn't rocket science.

I have no comments about MadVR Envy as I have not followed any of the threads that discuss it.
markmon1 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 342
It could be you probably just have a RAM stick dead or something.

What is your computer telling you on boot?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Can you boot to Safe Mode?

You should be able to build your own HTPC from components. They basically snap together and you can re-use your case this way.

Minimum Parts without listing part numbers:

MoBo
CPU
RAM
SSD

Check MicroCenter for MoBo/CPU combo deals as those are usually pretty good. RAM and SSD's are pretty cheap these days.

You can get an OEM Win10 license for relatively cheap too.

All in all I'd say you can probably do it for about $500 to $600, OS included.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 506
All those parts could fail if the power supply dies a horrible death. No power surge required - just a failure in regulation that sends overvoltage to a power rail.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
All those parts could fail if the power supply dies a horrible death. No power surge required - just a failure in regulation that sends overvoltage to a power rail.

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but it seems unlikely. Chances are it would fry the motherboard before it affected all of the components he listed. I can't speak to the architecture of a PSU, but I would assume that a well designed unit would have overvoltage protection built-in to keep such a thing from happening. Overvoltage protection would be a separate circuit from voltage regulation. I've just never heard of anyone having that many components fail simultaneously in a PC. Most of today's PSUs are a far cry better than the cheap units that came with turn-key systems of yesteryear. Then again, even the best units can develop faults over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page