Windows 10 - nVidia HDAudio Driver - Issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Windows 10 - nVidia HDAudio Driver - Issues

Hello All,
I have a recurring issue that is driving me bonkers.
Everytime my computer reboots, Windows reinstalls a HDAudio driver over the latest nVidia one 430.64 (May 9th) which screws everything up for me.
Whether on Netflix App or Kodi DsPlayer only surround sounds can be heard and no dialogue.

If I force update of this driver, both Apps work perfectly and sound is great (whether Atmos, 5.1, etc. etc.). But whenever the computer is rebooted, Windows reinstalls the old March HDAudio (Nvidia HDMI Audio) driver and the problem reoccurs. I turned off Windows 10 driver updates, etc. etc. but Windows still is screwing this up.

Do any of you have this problem? Is there a workaround aside from manually reinstalling this driver after every reboot (not fun).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Never experienced or heard of such a thing? I use a year old HDAudio driver. Windows or anything else never tries to update it.

Open an elevated command prompt and copy/paste these one at a time.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc
This will show you hidden drivers.

Delete the driver you don't want to use. It should never return.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #3 of 14 Old 05-26-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

I suspect it has something to do with the Windows 10 Dolby Atmos driver.

The problem is repeatable and is always the same. I reinstall nvidia driver clean install. Everything in Kodi / Netflix works great. Reboot computer, and only surround channels play. Go into device manager, and see Nvidia HD Audio driver as 3.4.2019 (windows 10 generic version).

Force update driver to the latest Nvidia one from device manager -> have disk->, its says "This driver is not signed. Do you want to proceed?" Yes. System is working great again. Go into Windows 10 update settings, and force no driver updates, etc. etc., everything unchecked. Reboot system and Nvidia HDaudio driver (3.4.2019) version is reinstalled and I cannot get any dialogue / front channels output from my home theater again.

I am going to have to use group policy editor to block any updates to the nVidia somehow (?) as all the check boxes in Windows 10 described above are just Kabuki buttons than affect nothing.

It is so frustrating as my wife / kids have no patience for doing this crap every time they want to watch something.

My computer is:

1080 GTX
nvidia driver 430.64 (latest)
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
Kodi DSPlayer (MadVR)
Netflix Windows 10 App
Denon AVR-4300h
Monoprice Fiber Optic SLimline HDMI Cable
JVC x590r Projector
Atmos 7.2.4 speaker setup

Last edited by Mark the Red; 05-26-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

I've never seen your problem before. Maybe it's your method? Why are using Windows 10 Dolby Atmos driver when nVidia provides all you need? Unless you use headphones, I don't think you're getting anything from it except problems. Did you delete old drivers like I suggested? All you are doing, or should be doing, is passing through your audio to your AVR. Your AVR should be doing all the Atmos uncompressing and decoding. If you right click on your audio icon with your AVR on, it should show whatever multichannel you selected such as 7.1. When you hover the mouse over it, you can then get to advanced setup and adjust your audio properties in Windows. When your AVR is off, it should show Stereo. You check this after rebooting once you installed your drivers. Selecting Stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 has no bearing on what your AVR does with it. It's still going to produce Atmos and every other format (almost). Those selections have everything to do with the Windows desktop (like youtube, etc.) and E-AC-3 formats.

You shouldn't update your driver via Windows Device Manager. You do that with the nVidia installer from nvidia.com. You should run DDU Uninstaller. After rebooting you will be using MS generic driver. That's when you run the commands I suggested and delete all the old instances of drivers that will be greyed out because they're not installed or in use. Tick 'show hidden devices'. Be careful what you delete. You don't want to delete anything part of the operating system. Then install what ever nVidia driver package you prefer. I suggest 385.28 unless you use 3D in which there is a better combo of Audio and Video drivers.

W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz

Last edited by brazen1; 05-26-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-26-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I've never seen your problem before. Maybe it's your method? Why are using Windows 10 Dolby Atmos driver when nVidia provides all you need? Unless you use headphones, I don't think you're getting anything from it except problems. Did you delete old drivers like I suggested? All you are doing, or should be doing, is passing through your audio to your AVR. Your AVR should be doing all the Atmos uncompressing and decoding. If you right click on your audio icon with your AVR on, it should show whatever multichannel you selected such as 7.1. When you hover the mouse over it, you can then get to advanced setup and adjust your audio properties in Windows. When your AVR is off, it should show Stereo. You check this after rebooting once you installed your drivers. Selecting Stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 has no bearing on what your AVR does with it. It's still going to produce Atmos and every other format (almost). Those selections have everything to do with the Windows desktop (like youtube, etc.) and E-AC-3 formats.

You shouldn't update your driver via Windows Device Manager. You do that with the nVidia installer from nvidia.com. You should run DDU Uninstaller. After rebooting you will be using MS generic driver. That's when you run the commands I suggested and delete all the old instances of drivers that will be greyed out because they're not installed or in use. Tick 'show hidden devices'. Be careful what you delete. You don't want to delete anything part of the operating system. Then install what ever nVidia driver package you prefer. I suggest 385.28 unless you use 3D in which there is a better combo of Audio and Video drivers.

OK. I will try that. nVidia only shows the last 4 instances of drivers, but I am sure I can find that old driver on some 3rd party webpage.

The reason I have Atmos for Windows 10 is for Netflix reasons. I agree its more trouble than its worth, but Netflix will not output Atmos unless you have it enabled in Windows 10 through the app store. Secondly, it is not possible to completely delete the Atmos because its linked somehow to my Windows 10 account. I've deleted everything Atmos related on my computer and yet its still trying to be cute by reinstalling it. Its hilarious, Windows will change it DURING a movie being watched. For instance, for 2 minutes voices will be 100% perfect and then bam it cuts out AND the driver has been rolled back.

With regards to the choice of installer, I have tried nvidias clean install standalone more times than you've had hot dinners. Its not the choice of install, its just Windows trying to enable the Atmos package in conjunction with whatever nVidia driver you have. I would bitstream everything to the amp, but Netflix Win10 will only output atmos if it sees it enabled in your spatial sound configuration.

The only workaround is reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch under another new Windows login which is like curing the disease by killing the patient.

While may problem may be news to avsforum apparently, I am not alone in the wider world with people with atmos enabled home theaters. https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...by-atmos-woes/

There is probably just not enough of people like us for Microsoft / nVidia to care enough to allocate resources.

I will try 385.28 as you suggest.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
OK. I will try that. nVidia only shows the last 4 instances of drivers, but I am sure I can find that old driver on some 3rd party webpage.

The reason I have Atmos for Windows 10 is for Netflix reasons. I agree its more trouble than its worth, but Netflix will not output Atmos unless you have it enabled in Windows 10 through the app store. Secondly, it is not possible to completely delete the Atmos because its linked somehow to my Windows 10 account. I've deleted everything Atmos related on my computer and yet its still trying to be cute by reinstalling it. Its hilarious, Windows will change it DURING a movie being watched. For instance, for 2 minutes voices will be 100% perfect and then bam it cuts out AND the driver has been rolled back.

With regards to the choice of installer, I have tried nvidias clean install standalone more times than you've had hot dinners. Its not the choice of install, its just Windows trying to enable the Atmos package in conjunction with whatever nVidia driver you have. I would bitstream everything to the amp, but Netflix Win10 will only output atmos if it sees it enabled in your spatial sound configuration.

The only workaround is reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch under another new Windows login which is like curing the disease by killing the patient.

While may problem may be news to avsforum apparently, I am not alone in the wider world with people with atmos enabled home theaters. https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...by-atmos-woes/

There is probably just not enough of people like us for Microsoft / nVidia to care enough to allocate resources.

I will try 385.28 as you suggest.

I have a question, is the ATMOS from your HTPC to AVR lossy ATMOS or Dolby TrueHD ATMOS, I know that if I am watching neflix on my TV app using ARC to my AVR it is only lossy ATMOS.

Thanks.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I DDU'd the heck out my computer and installed the 385.28 driver package.

I still have the same problem. I don't believe its a driver problem anymore, but a Windows 10 issue. I appreciate the help on the thread so far @brazen1

This HTPC is also being used in the other room as a workstation. It has a USB DAC for local headphone duty for sound. Fearing this to be the problem, I always power off the USB DAC whenever I use this as a HTPC, as well as the local monitor.

When in theater use, the Windows 10 sound settings doesn't even show the UCB dac as an available playback device (USB DAC), but somehow, windows is sending / filtering out the FL / FR audio signal through the HDMI Nvidia setting. Its not Kodi DSPlayer or anything (VLC, MPC-HC, netflix, chrome youtube, all have the same problem). Its something windows related or a very obscure handshaking issue with the Denon although the HDMI cables I use are first rate and have tried several.

My only real option at this point is to reinstall the driver from scratch to "reset" the stupid thing to make it work as planned everytime I want to use the home theater.

The only reason I write this post is to see if any of you have some arcane Windows 10 knowledge to defeat this stupid bug, and to advise others to never have multimonitor setups for HTPC rigs at this time.

Be ye warned. There be dragons ahead.....
post #8 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm sorry to hear that someone else is going through this! Thanks for reaching out for HELP. I have a Denon x4100w, it worked flawlessly until the last update from windows 10. I've been trying everything that fellow readers have suggested. NOTHING WORKS. I was using the Dolby access app to play videos. I can only get Dolby atmos for headphones.. yesterday I reset windows 10 to a earlier version. I now have the relatek driver and audio device that at least shows HDCP supported. I stepped away from this thing to try to make sense of what is happening. All the suggestions that people have been making just don't get the sound settings I had! I think it's a window 10 Thingy that Microsoft doesn't want to admit nor do anything to make it right
post #9 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if this would help but if you have multiple audio devices in Windows advanced audio properties, regardless if your DAC, Realtech, etc. is active or not... did you assign nVidia as your DEFAULT device? I assume if the other devices are off or unplugged, nVidia would be the only device showing but does it show as default because maybe something in Windows is confused when a USB device is unplugged yet the entries remain in the registry? I can't wrap my head around when nVidia is in use, it immediately starts updating the driver and two minutes later after installing applies the update while in use? If you removed all instances of the newer driver, Windows has nothing to install and shouldn't molest the driver in use during playback. So, what happens if you disable the internet so it can't get its hands on it? Will the Atmos track make it past a couple minutes? Of course you won't be able to stream your Netflix app but you could plug in a USB stick and playback via your display app. This might help you narrow down the culprit...

post #10 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brazen. I locked Windows out of updating the driver so its not the issue. The issue seems to be some kind of filtering bug in Windows. I can tell right away when its not going to work because when going through the menus within Kodi you don't hear the "woosh" sound when you click on menu item. You hear the clicks, but not the "woosh". Once I have it working (reset the HDMI sound driver), the "woosh" sound is clear as day.

As for output devices, I only ever have one option. EVERYTHING in Kodi setting is nVidia HDMI out. Internal Renderer (DSPlayer Settings), Output Device and Passthrough Device (Sound Settings) so there is no apparent setting that is the problem.

Its like something is deliberately filtering out the FL / C / FR from the sound. Also, when the bug is happening Kodi is super slow and unresponsive (CPU usage spikes when scrolling up and down).

Lord Almighty this is frustrating, but I really have no choice but to grin and bear it because a nVidia Shield is a huge step backward from Kodi / MadVR imo.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked: 2760
When you power down the pc, you do a clean shutdown? If not, registry never saves some changes to disk until a clean shutdown. This could explain why the old driver keeps showing up after a reboot.

You mention multimonitor. Is this a case where you are shutting down the theater and using the PC via HDMI on another monitor? If so, HDMI would be routed there instead and could also explain the issue.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
When you power down the pc, you do a clean shutdown? If not, registry never saves some changes to disk until a clean shutdown. This could explain why the old driver keeps showing up after a reboot.

You mention multimonitor. Is this a case where you are shutting down the theater and using the PC via HDMI on another monitor? If so, HDMI would be routed there instead and could also explain the issue.
I thought that too, so I have a seperate powerbar switch that controls everything on the workstation side (USB DAC, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc etc.) that is 100% completely powered off whenever the theater is in use. The monitor in the other room is connected only by DVI as well.

To be honest, I think it has something to do with Steam (game software) and I have since disabled it from starting up). I appreciate the support here, but I think my dream HTPC / computer setup is so unique that I doubt anyone at nVidia will ever care to fix it. Its too bad, because I really like having the dual functionality of a high powered GPU for both a HTPC and a local workstation / gaming PC for games that do not play well on a theater (i.e., Total Warhammer).
post #13 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked: 2760
Quote:
I thought that too, so I have a seperate powerbar switch that controls everything on the workstation side (USB DAC, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc etc.) that is 100% completely powered off whenever the theater is in use. The monitor in the other room is connected only by DVI as well.

To be honest, I think it has something to do with Steam (game software) and I have since disabled it from starting up). I appreciate the support here, but I think my dream HTPC / computer setup is so unique that I doubt anyone at nVidia will ever care to fix it. Its too bad, because I really like having the dual functionality of a high powered GPU for both a HTPC and a local workstation / gaming PC for games that do not play well on a theater (i.e., Total Warhammer).
Can you describe to me both setups that are attached, when one is on and the other and the steps you take to change which is on? For example, do you have other work station on and you're playing music then you want to use theater, what do you do and in what order?

What happens if you hook up theater, then, power off everything in other room so its just denon and projector. Then get theater sound working. Then reboot computer, does audio still keep working? And if you power off and power on again leaving denon on audio keep working?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 06-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Hello All,

I have a recurring issue that is driving me bonkers.

Everytime my computer reboots, Windows reinstalls a HDAudio driver over the latest nVidia one 430.64 (May 9th) which screws everything up for me.

Whether on Netflix App or Kodi DsPlayer only surround sounds can be heard and no dialogue.

If I force update of this driver, both Apps work perfectly and sound is great (whether Atmos, 5.1, etc. etc.). But whenever the computer is rebooted, Windows reinstalls the old March HDAudio (Nvidia HDMI Audio) driver and the problem reoccurs. I turned off Windows 10 driver updates, etc. etc. but Windows still is screwing this up.

Do any of you have this problem? Is there a workaround aside from manually reinstalling this driver after every reboot (not fun).

I had something similar with the Nvidia audio driver. Try not using the Nvidia audio driver. Uninstall the driver ..in device control ... select delete driver.

Restart the computer. Open device manager again and scan for new device. Then use the stock Microsoft provided driver. This should resolve issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page