playing (not ripping) 4k hdr discs for dummies - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
playing (not ripping) 4k hdr discs for dummies

I'm looking for the simplest way to play 4k discs on an HTPC. I'm choosing an HTPC over a stand alone due to the presumably superior video quality and also the ability to decrypt the discs and transmit lossless audio over coax and not hdmi. Would mpc hc combined with any dvd hd suffice or would dvd fab player? Not interested in power dvd - been there. Using a gateway fx computer - from what I've read I will need a friendly drive and upgraded graphics card but any step by step instructions would be very welcome - I'm a but confused regarding the hash/volume keys and what that entails. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 411
You realize that you're limited to 5.1 audio over coax, right (or at least I believe it has the same limitation as the optical output)? Transmitting both audio and video over HDMI via pass-through is the preferred method for most people. I can't say which playback app works better for playing actual discs as everything I have is converted to mkv files using MakeMKV. There's no need to use AnyDVD HD since MakeMKV decrypts the disc during the ripping process. I used to have a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD until they went belly up and started back up under a different name. It was an underhanded way of getting people to pay for new licenses all over again and I'm not dealing with anyone that pulls that kind of crap. Ripping the discs to mkv files allows me to keep the movies on a server and not take up space on my HTPC. I can also share them with any PC on my home network. Playing physical discs was just too much of a pain in the butt. I realize this may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it's something to think about.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

I do realize that and hdmi is not optimal for me because my dac is coax/2 channel. This a great answer - I have used mkv for blu rays. Just not sure exactly what I need to do - purchase and install a uhd friendly drive and download hash keys (how do I do this?) and rip? To play purchase the requisite graphics card and I'm good to go with mpchc and madvr? Are there many settings I need to adjust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 175
There is a whole thread on this forum dedicated to ripping UHD discs, as well as another thread dedicated to playing UHD discs on a HTPC. Check those out.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The answers depend upon whether you have more time or money.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

thank you I will reread the threads. mlknez regarding your comment - I am retired and have both time and money - I'm willing to spend money- not so much to save time but to make it simpler for me because I'm new to the htpc thing and the learning curve is steeper for me - any recommendations would be appreciated
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 547
If you want to rip 4k discs, you need a flashed 4K friendly or official Blu-ray drive. It is as simple as that.

I would recommend one of the official LG UHD Blu-ray drives over the friendly ones combined with an older motherboard that has an IDE mode for the SATA ports to complete the firmware flash, or simply buy a pre-flashed drive from someone else.

FYI, the 4K HTPC build guide in my signature has a bunch of information on MakeMKV and UHD disc ripping towards the bottom of the guide in the MakeMKV section. That includes a link to a vendor that sells pre-flashed UHD drives.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Your best answer is to purchase an AV receiver and a stand-alone UHD player.

If you want to use a HTPC to play UHD discs, you still should purchase an AV Receiver for playback of the audio at best quality. You can still use your external DAC for music. Then purchase a UHD drive for the HTPC as well as a video card (nvidia 1060 or better with 6GB memory). You should also purchase software that will decrypt on the fly such as AnyDVD. DVDFab player seems to work best for me.

Look at my signature and you can see that i use my HTPC with an external DAC as well. I do use a preamp/processor for movie playback however.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

many thanks to all - great information. one final question - mlknez you stated: you still should purchase an AV Receiver for playback of the audio at best quality. If my standalone player or htpc is performing the decoding to pcm and I'm running only 2 channel, wouldn't the external dac provide higher quality if that dac is better than the dac in the av receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page