Current state of cablecard on Windows - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 93 Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
But I am not aware of any way to use madvr with live TV. I don't believe it's possible.
If I used the unofficial HDHR add-on for Kodi, would madVR be able to process the picture? That's the only reason I'd be interested. Maybe this is a question for the madVR or Kodi thread but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has tried this.

Viewsonic PX800HD | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | HDFury Diva | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Current state of cablecard on Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
If I used the unofficial HDHR add-on for Kodi, would madVR be able to process the picture? That's the only reason I'd be interested. Maybe this is a question for the madVR or Kodi thread but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has tried this.

I want to say no. But if you figure it out let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aerodynamics likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #33 of 93 Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
MadVR is rolled in to JRiver. I use MadVR for all video through JRiver...including live tv.
aerodynamics likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 93 Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGibby View Post
MadVR is rolled in to JRiver. I use MadVR for all video through JRiver...including live tv.
Hmmmm, that is very interesting. I might have to look into it, I love Jriver buy only use it for audio.
post #35 of 93 Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Hmmmm, that is very interesting. I might have to look into it, I love Jriver buy only use it for audio.

I set up a dedicated HTPC with Windows 10 to use with JRiver and 4k playback. I use JRiver for watching archived movies and TV shows and listening to music. I had issues with the audio getting out of sync with 4k material so I stopped using it. I tried it again a while back and the audio sync problem I was having appears to have been corrected so I'm assuming that it got updated somewhere along the way to correct the problem. One of the reasons I decided to give JRiver a try was because it included madVR and was supposed to work with 4k material. I'm still having some growing pains with it in regards to setting up the libraries properly. Things aren't lining up the way I expected them to so I need to take the time to figure out what's going on.
post #36 of 93 Old 06-19-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks for all the information and good suggestions.

I started out with Windows 7 32-bit on both my HTPC's. My goal was to move to Windows 10 with media center working with my Ceton network tuners installed on my server. I also had the secondary goals of moving to 64-bit to accommodate some light gaming, making use of a Metro-style UI and "tablet mode" with custom tiles for streaming and music services.

I have discovered that:

1. Media center on windows 10 runs fine.. as long as you don't try to do anything useful with it.
2. Tuners don't work under media center. Media center doesn't "discover" the tuners during the live-tv setup.
3. It's not possible to make custom tiles for Windows 10. You can go to the play store and look for them, but most of the time they're not there.

So since, at an absolute minimum, I have to have Live TV working in Media Center, I gave up on Windows 10. I decided to try Windows 8.1. I figured my fortunes would be better since, technically, Ceton supports Windows 8.1 and media center is available on that version of Windows.

I further discovered that:

1. Media Center is NOT available on Windows 8.1 anymore. I had to use the hacked version of it I had for Windows 10.
2. The Ceton drivers do not support network tuners, but I managed to get them installed anyway.
3. Playready refused to install and I grew tired of trying to make things work.
4. The Metro UI for 8.1 is.. not ideal for Media Center use.

So, as of right now, I have further downgraded to a 64-bit windows 7 install. Media Center is working, Tuners are working and I'm (mostly) back where I started. My only accomplishments thus far have been a successful move to a 64-bit OS.
post #37 of 93 Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
So, as of right now, I have further downgraded to a 64-bit windows 7 install. Media Center is working, Tuners are working and I'm (mostly) back where I started. My only accomplishments thus far have been a successful move to a 64-bit OS.
This is a classic example of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I will continue to run Windows 7 on all of my HTPCs except the one that I have dedicated to 4k playback. You say you downgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7, but I think you have that backwards. Windows 7 with WMC is by far the better choice for use as a DVR and live TV. It just plain works and WMC is included. It will recognize any tuner you can throw at it. Download a copy of epg123 (you'll find the link at the Green Button forums under the WMC Electronic Program Guide sub forum) and get a subscription to Schedules Direct ($25/year for up to five TVs).

I understand why people want to upgrade to Windows 10 due to the fact that newer hardware doesn't always support Windows 7, at least not without some workarounds. The good news is that there's a crapload of used hardware out there that is both compatible and dirt cheap. With Windows 7 going away you can pick up a legit license on ebay for less than $10.
post #38 of 93 Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Both should work. Contact SD support to get it fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well, that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, but its fixed and HBO will play on my Shield.

I had 2 issues working against me. First was not using the HomeRun app from the Microsoft Store. I had downloaded the installer from the silicondust website. Uninstalled that and installed the "store" version. Boom, fixed.

What I also hadn't realized was that the DRM content would still only play using the HomeRun app and not the Shield's native LiveTV player. Same on the windows 10 machine. Won't play HBO in NextPVR (I knew i couldn't record it). Only the HomeRun player.

Thanks for the tip and suggestion. Support was pretty helpful.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #39 of 93 Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Well, that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, but its fixed and HBO will play on my Shield.

I had 2 issues working against me. First was not using the HomeRun app from the Microsoft Store. I had downloaded the installer from the silicondust website. Uninstalled that and installed the "store" version. Boom, fixed.

What I also hadn't realized was that the DRM content would still only play using the HomeRun app and not the Shield's native LiveTV player. Same on the windows 10 machine. Won't play HBO in NextPVR (I knew i couldn't record it). Only the HomeRun player.

Thanks for the tip and suggestion. Support was pretty helpful.
Yeah that is the current limitation, has to be their app. But hey at least we can watch DRM channels live on something other than WMC or a rented STB.
post #40 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Both of my HDHR Primes got zapped by lightning. SiliconDust cannot replace them, and may never release the Prime6. I have no way to regain the capability, so I am without cable television until I find some unknown solution...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #41 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
Both of my HDHR Primes got zapped by lightning. SiliconDust cannot replace them, and may never release the Prime6. I have no way to regain the capability, so I am without cable television until I find some unknown solution...
eBay your friend and only solution
post #42 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
eBay your friend and only solution
eBay is not my friend, as people are charging quadruple retail price for HDHR. SiliconDust informs me they have no idea when Prime6 may ever be produced or sold. It's a sad situation for HTPC DVR users...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #43 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 09:38 AM

Supply and demand Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #44 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
eBay is not my friend, as people are charging quadruple retail price for HDHR. SiliconDust informs me they have no idea when Prime6 may ever be produced or sold. It's a sad situation for HTPC DVR users...
You have to be diligent on ebay but look at sold listings. You can get them still around $100-140. Which isn't bad. I don't know what you consider retail but I paid $249 in 2011, and $129 in 2014.

I recently posted in the HDHR Prime owners thread if anyone was selling theirs and had two offers. Ended up buying one, so its not impossible. I agree though the future of cablecard PC's is grim. With the recent ability of Plex and Emby to use Primes the cost has gone up. A year ago I dug mine out of the closet and sold it on ebay for $70 and it sat at that price for a minute.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #45 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where you get that quadruple price from. Just checked eBay and there are plenty of listing and most of them are in $110 to $140 range. I bought mine in 2011 for a great deal of $199. The retail price was $249 at that time as mentioned. I got another one from eBay two years ago for $108.
post #46 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a 2nd one a while back and only paid about $70 for it, which was the going price at the time.
post #47 of 93 Old 07-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Sent you a PM.
Sammy2 likes this.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #48 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Sent you a PM.
Send me one too.. LOL!

post #49 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Send me one too.. LOL!

Sorry, Sammy! All gone now.

I can still PM you if it will make you feel any better!

post #50 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Sammy! All gone now.

I can still PM you if it will make you feel any better!
No problem. Thanks for helping out fellow Prime users on here..
dfkimbro likes this.

Last edited by Sammy2; 07-18-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #51 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No problem. Thanks for helping out fellow Prime users on here.. The other one you sent me is working great BTW. Just finally got it hooked up last week when Spectrum sent me a deal that beats YouTubeTV, and without the DigiTiers is on par cost wise with less reputable "services".
I think you're thinking of someone else from the Prime Owners thread...maybe @Dave Harper . I think you were still on the fence about going back the last time we communicated.

A cableco deal to beat YouTube TV must be pretty good, even after the YouTube TV price bump a couple months ago. I haven't seen any pricing from Comcast that would even be close, and with all the blasted add-on fees that aren't included in the quoted prices, I doubt they could beat YouTube TV for anything close to the lineup I have. The fees alone were up to almost $45 when I cancelled their TV service.

I loved the HDHomeRun Primes, but I sure hated that Comcast bill.

post #52 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I think you're thinking of someone else from the Prime Owners thread...maybe @Dave Harper . I think you were still on the fence about going back the last time we communicated.

A cableco deal to beat YouTube TV must be pretty good, even after the YouTube TV price bump a couple months ago. I haven't seen any pricing from Comcast that would even be close, and with all the blasted add-on fees that aren't included in the quoted prices, I doubt they could beat YouTube TV for anything close to the lineup I have. The fees alone were up to almost $45 when I cancelled their TV service.

I loved the HDHomeRun Primes, but I sure hated that Comcast bill.
Yeah, I was. I edited my post. Sorry but it's all good.

Yup, I got Spectrum Select plus Ultra Internet for $112 total, CableCARD taxes and fees included. I added DigiTiers 1 and 2 just now for about $25. Previously, I had just Ultra Internet for $91. That makes it $21 + $25 more for the TV services which is $43 total, less than YouTubeTV by $7. This price has a $24 month price lock and puts my stuff back in my control. I just did a channel scan and there's very, very few DRM channels, only two of which I care about which are AxsTV and Sundance but YouTubeTV didn't have those either, IIR. There's another, DYI but I can watch that on the app and don't need to watch it live. Pretty much all the rest are Copy Freely.

I'm pretty stoked!!
dfkimbro likes this.

post #53 of 93 Old 07-18-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was. I edited my post. Sorry but it's all good.

Yup, I got Spectrum Select plus Ultra Internet for $112 total, CableCARD taxes and fees included. I added DigiTiers 1 and 2 just now for about $25. Previously, I had just Ultra Internet for $91. That makes it $21 + $25 more for the TV services which is $43 total, less than YouTubeTV by $7. This price has a $24 month price lock and puts my stuff back in my control. I just did a channel scan and there's very, very few DRM channels, only two of which I care about which are AxsTV and Sundance but YouTubeTV didn't have those either, IIR. There's another, DYI but I can watch that on the app and don't need to watch it live. Pretty much all the rest are Copy Freely.

I'm pretty stoked!!
Plus you get a centralized DVR that you actually hold the recordings to. Plus access to all the apps.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #54 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I just was on Silicon Dust web page looking at Prime 6, which it said, coming soon? I really liked their new DVR, software that's supposed to work on NAS drive, also recording DRM movies and comes with TV program guide? WOW,I'd buy it in a spit second.
post #55 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
I just was on Silicon Dust web page looking at Prime 6, which it said, coming soon? I really liked their new DVR, software that's supposed to work on NAS drive, also recording DRM movies and comes with TV program guide? WOW,I'd buy it in a spit second.
That was like that since like 2 years ago. No Prime 6 and no DRM recording so far.
post #56 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
That was like that since like 2 years ago. No Prime 6 and no DRM recording so far.
Couple of months ago, I built my last windows 8.1 WMC computer, of course I had to use a Skylake i7, thank you Microstickup!
I had the WMC licences, I bought a while ago,laying around and just can't get away from WMC.
By the way,Bill gates said he was a minor wizard and Steve Jobs spells didn't work on him,so I guess it's alright, for him to cheat and lie!

Last edited by 6athome; 07-19-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #57 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

Yeah at this point that thing looks like vaporware. Someone had mentioned they contacted silicon dust the other day about it and they weren't sure when or if it would ever be released. I was surprised they admitted it may not come to light.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #58 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm not trying to crap on anyone's choices-to each his own, but in 2019 I just don't think it's worth the trouble to try to get a cablecard setup working.

I spent eight or nine years with various cablecard setups with varying degrees of success and I don't see the point of it today.

In 2009, at least there was (A) the benefit of having a single device for your TV and media (B) A working version of windows with support for TV recording (C) a more compelling need to be able to archive recordings since you couldn't easily watch them later with the options that existed at the time (D) not great options for long term recording HBO/protected content.

Today (A) you're going to want to switch devices anyway to a Smart TV App or Roku for your netflix/amazon/etc (B) windows hasn't supported it for a long time (C) much of the content that you might archive is available online (D) cable subscribers can stream HBO/showtime, etc

You can also buy a Tivo w/lifetime $5-600 and get whole house watching that's generally a lot more stable and will allow you to back up digital copies to computers, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Roamio...dLRtY&LH_BIN=1

As I said above, to each their own. If you want to spend a ton of time configuring and maintaining this, more power to you. But I think it's not worth it in 2019.
post #59 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I donated to their kickstarter on the representation that I'd finally have a non MC DVR for recording protected content. The lesson is never to pay or base any decision on functionality that isn't there. It doesn't really matter whose fault it is.

Quote:
I know it's crazy. It seems like it must be a cablelabs things. SD has been saying "soon" for their six tuner Prime for a long time. I wonder if they are holding it up trying to make progress with cablelabs.

Just speculation but trying to give SD the benefit of the doubt.

post #60 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
I'm not trying to crap on anyone's choices-to each his own, but in 2019 I just don't think it's worth the trouble to try to get a cablecard setup working.

I spent eight or nine years with various cablecard setups with varying degrees of success and I don't see the point of it today.

In 2009, at least there was (A) the benefit of having a single device for your TV and media (B) A working version of windows with support for TV recording (C) a more compelling need to be able to archive recordings since you couldn't easily watch them later with the options that existed at the time (D) not great options for long term recording HBO/protected content.

Today (A) you're going to want to switch devices anyway to a Smart TV App or Roku for your netflix/amazon/etc (B) windows hasn't supported it for a long time (C) much of the content that you might archive is available online (D) cable subscribers can stream HBO/showtime, etc

You can also buy a Tivo w/lifetime $5-600 and get whole house watching that's generally a lot more stable and will allow you to back up digital copies to computers, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Roamio...dLRtY&LH_BIN=1

As I said above, to each their own. If you want to spend a ton of time configuring and maintaining this, more power to you. But I think it's not worth it in 2019.
Maybe but I'm using Emby which is on just about any device and can be connected anyplace in the world with a decent internet connection. With the deal Spectrum just cut me I'm good for two more years now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page