Current state of cablecard on Windows - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
I'm not trying to crap on anyone's choices-to each his own, but in 2019 I just don't think it's worth the trouble to try to get a cablecard setup working.

I spent eight or nine years with various cablecard setups with varying degrees of success and I don't see the point of it today.

In 2009, at least there was (A) the benefit of having a single device for your TV and media (B) A working version of windows with support for TV recording (C) a more compelling need to be able to archive recordings since you couldn't easily watch them later with the options that existed at the time (D) not great options for long term recording HBO/protected content.

Today (A) you're going to want to switch devices anyway to a Smart TV App or Roku for your netflix/amazon/etc (B) windows hasn't supported it for a long time (C) much of the content that you might archive is available online (D) cable subscribers can stream HBO/showtime, etc

You can also buy a Tivo w/lifetime $5-600 and get whole house watching that's generally a lot more stable and will allow you to back up digital copies to computers, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Roamio...dLRtY&LH_BIN=1

As I said above, to each their own. If you want to spend a ton of time configuring and maintaining this, more power to you. But I think it's not worth it in 2019.
I was also an early adopter, and when through plenty of growing pains with Ceton and the HDHR Prime. But that was years ago. I am not sure about the windows experience (WMC) but myself and many others use other software to handle DVR duty.

The setup was about 20 minutes and I have not messed with it at all since. I have not needed to reboot the tuning adapter or the HDHR once, don't have issues with tuners getting locked like I did with WMC. Overall it has been a great experience. I am not doing a ton of archiving, but I like to maintain the stuff I record. With streaming services movies/shows are here today and gone tomorrow.

I can store them, encode them how I like and don't worry about some film company pulling their content.

I agree its not for everyone, but after testing a few of the streaming TV services they all have shortcomings I didn't want to deal with compared to this setup. I feel I have much more control compared to something like YTTV or Sling.

I let Emby handle all my DVR and TV duty with a Prime and cable card. This means that all of my movies and TV shows that I have purchased and ripped locally, plus all the recordings are in a single library. I can also watch and record TV in Emby.

Another benefit is that it can transcode the TV stream to whatever bitrate resolution I want, and can be streamed from my home to anywhere in the world that I have internet access.
ckronengold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I was also an early adopter, and when through plenty of growing pains with Ceton and the HDHR Prime. But that was years ago. I am not sure about the windows experience (WMC) but myself and many others use other software to handle DVR duty.

The setup was about 20 minutes and I have not messed with it at all since. I have not needed to reboot the tuning adapter or the HDHR once, don't have issues with tuners getting locked like I did with WMC. Overall it has been a great experience. I am not doing a ton of archiving, but I like to maintain the stuff I record. With streaming services movies/shows are here today and gone tomorrow.

I can store them, encode them how I like and don't worry about some film company pulling their content.

I agree its not for everyone, but after testing a few of the streaming TV services they all have shortcomings I didn't want to deal with compared to this setup. I feel I have much more control compared to something like YTTV or Sling.

I let Emby handle all my DVR and TV duty with a Prime and cable card. This means that all of my movies and TV shows that I have purchased and ripped locally, plus all the recordings are in a single library. I can also watch and record TV in Emby.

Another benefit is that it can transcode the TV stream to whatever bitrate resolution I want, and can be streamed from my home to anywhere in the world that I have internet access.
I got my first Prime in 2011 IIR for $135 from Woot.

All my recordings are processed through MCEBuddy where any commercials are marked as chapters and the files are transcoded from ts to mkv high profile for storage.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #63 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post
I'm not trying to crap on anyone's choices-to each his own, but in 2019 I just don't think it's worth the trouble to try to get a cablecard setup working.

I spent eight or nine years with various cablecard setups with varying degrees of success and I don't see the point of it today.

In 2009, at least there was (A) the benefit of having a single device for your TV and media (B) A working version of windows with support for TV recording (C) a more compelling need to be able to archive recordings since you couldn't easily watch them later with the options that existed at the time (D) not great options for long term recording HBO/protected content.

Today (A) you're going to want to switch devices anyway to a Smart TV App or Roku for your netflix/amazon/etc (B) windows hasn't supported it for a long time (C) much of the content that you might archive is available online (D) cable subscribers can stream HBO/showtime, etc

You can also buy a Tivo w/lifetime $5-600 and get whole house watching that's generally a lot more stable and will allow you to back up digital copies to computers, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Roamio...dLRtY&LH_BIN=1

As I said above, to each their own. If you want to spend a ton of time configuring and maintaining this, more power to you. But I think it's not worth it in 2019.
As for me I getting ready for the zombie apocalypses,when no internet is available and I can run my HTPC on solar and watch WMC recorded movies, till Hell Freezes over.
Sorry, but I just can't get used too going to neflix and looking for a movie they removed,besides I just wait till Fios gives free previews of premium channel and record away. Get your WMC HTPC ready for EPIX next week,
My HP 9300 cable labs certified HTPC is still running ,remember when you had the cable labs key sticker alongside windows product key sticker.
Sammy2 likes this.

Last edited by 6athome; 07-19-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
As for me I getting ready for the zombie apocalypses,when no internet is available and I can run my HTPC on solar and watch WMC recorded movies, till Hell Freezes over.
Sorry, but I just can't get used too going to neflix and looking for a movie they removed,besides I just wait till Fios gives free previews of premium channel and record away. Get your WMC HTPC ready for EPIX next week,
My HP 9300 cable labs certified HTPC is still running ,remember when you had the cable labs key sticker alongside windows product key sticker.
For me, the EPIX app is free with Spectrum Internet..

post #65 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
For me, the EPIX app is free with Spectrum Internet..
I never checked it out, is it any good?
post #66 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I've built and configured more Windows 7 WMC PCs than I can count. There were lots of growing pains in the early days using cablecard tuners but these days everything is rock steady and it just works for me. The biggest hassle is just downloading all of the various updates to bring the OS up to current status. There are a few apps that require a little tweaking, but there are so many guides out there it's just a matter of following some step-by-step instructions.

I have both a Ceton InfiniTV 6 and a SD HDHR Prime as well as a couple of HDHR Quatro ATSC tuners. I have a separate Win 10 HTPC with JRiver for watching movies and videos archived on my server as well as for listening to my vast music library. I use Shields for streaming, but they really get very little use. I don't watch a lot of stuff from Netflix or Amazon even though I have both services. There's a huge war brewing between streaming providers and it's going to get very messy for consumers.
post #67 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I never checked it out, is it any good?
Not much that I'm interested in but others might have interest.

post #68 of 93 Old 07-19-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not much that I'm interested in but others might have interest.
Thanks, so much stuff out there hard to consolidate it all.
post #69 of 93 Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I still have my 3-tuner HDHR Prime, which I have not used since I cut off Comcast a year ago. I also have my Ceton 4-tuner PCIe card too which hasn't seen use in ages. Since I live in the sticks now and have lousy satellite internet, I'm not sure I will have really any use for the tuning devices and Comcast has no presence in my area out here.

Though Microsoft is officially ending Windows 7 support in a few months, I still have the OS on all of my HTPC machines as it has always been stable and I don't have to update the OS like Windows 10 does (and often breaks stuff in the process).

Windows 7 is really the only OS that was dedicated for live TV and recording. I had tried with WMC on 8.1, but didn't work that well.

I am not certain of the future of cablecards....there are more streaming services now than you can shake a stick at. However, shows I like and am interested in I buy on BD or DVD and archive them on my unRAID server, because as we all know Netflix and Amazon don't keep their shows on their service forever, and once they're gone its gone for good. Plus I have alot of stuff that will never see the light of day on any streaming service.

Last edited by AVTechMan; 07-20-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #70 of 93 Old 08-17-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My two windows 8.1 WMC have a playready issue, that's driving me nuts. The last updates from Micoscrew was 8/16/19, which I believe killed my playready on these two. I had to go back to my windows 7 machines to record free HBO this weekend.
I downloaded playready and did a reinstall, this time it didn't work. Another thing that makes me suspect it was the updates from Microscrew, was the first erro was that my computer wasn't activated,which it was. I tried to uninstall the updates,but can't. Any suggestions?
post #71 of 93 Old 08-17-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are some fixes for the PlayReady issue that have been proven to work:

1) Get to the point in media center that it says Playready failed to update, do you wish to try again?
OPTIONAL - Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.
2) Open up Windows "Services" via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
3) With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?", go to the Services panel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services" (ehRecvr), double click on it, then click "Stop"
4) Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and then rename the mspr.hds file to mspr.old
5) Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete.
6) Restart Windows Media Center

This documents solutions to PlayReady update failing to install as part of the WMC Setup process.

Solution 1:

1) Go into Control Panel, click "Uninstall a program", and uninstall "PlayReady PC Runtime".
2) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.

Solution 2 (this is the one that worked for me on several different HTPCs running WMC in Windows 7 but I'm pretty sure it will work in Windows 8.1 as well):

1) Quit Windows Media Center if running.
2) Open a cmd prompt - run as administrator.
3) Run the following commands one at a time:

net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
net start ehrecvr

4) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.

Solution 3:

1) Download the ResetDRM tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=105000 to reset your PlayReady DRM
2) Extract the contents of the ResetDRM.exe file using a tool such as 7zip or WinRAR
3) Open a command prompt - run as administrator and run:

cd "%userprofile%\Downloads"
cleandrm -v
(note, if you saved to a different location than your downloads folder, cd to that instead)

4) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.

These solutions have been verified to solve the problem for many PCs but are not guaranteed to solve the problem in all cases.

Last edited by captain_video; 08-17-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #72 of 93 Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Here are some fixes for the PlayReady issue that have been proven to work:

1) Get to the point in media center that it says Playready failed to update, do you wish to try again?
OPTIONAL - Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.
2) Open up Windows "Services" via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
3) With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?", go to the Services panel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services" (ehRecvr), double click on it, then click "Stop"
4) Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and then rename the mspr.hds file to mspr.old
5) Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete.
6) Restart Windows Media Center

This documents solutions to PlayReady update failing to install as part of the WMC Setup process.

Solution 1:

1) Go into Control Panel, click "Uninstall a program", and uninstall "PlayReady PC Runtime".
2) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.

Solution 2 (this is the one that worked for me on several different HTPCs running WMC in Windows 7 but I'm pretty sure it will work in Windows 8.1 as well):

1) Quit Windows Media Center if running.
2) Open a cmd prompt - run as administrator.
3) Run the following commands one at a time:

net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
net start ehrecvr

Solution 3:

1) Download the ResetDRM tool from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=105000 to reset your PlayReady DRM
2) Extract the contents of the ResetDRM.exe file using a tool such as 7zip or WinRAR
3) Open a command prompt - run as administrator and run:

cd "%userprofile%\Downloads"
cleandrm -v
(note, if you saved to a different location than your downloads folder, cd to that instead)

These solutions have been verified to solve the problem for many PCs but are not guaranteed to solve the problem in all cases.
Thanks Cap'n! I'll give that a look but I'm not pressed as Spectrum doesn't have a hole lot of DRM for me and I am lucky to use Emby for most and then TVEveryWhere to fill in the gaps where they do have DRM, Except for AXS but I can get that content anyhow.

post #73 of 93 Old 08-19-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The reset Dram tool gives me a error " for winscrew XP,Vistia? I recorded EPIX for free, last month,no problems,when I went to record HBO this month,my winscrew 8.1 would not record,keep on getting error of playready and Wjnscrew not activated? I believe Winscrew doesn't care about WMC and if a update screws WMC so what,we are only a small group.
Problem is I paid extra for WMC and it should be supported until 2023.
Winscrew wants the world to use it's playready, as a world solution to DRM, well they should look at their solution for WMC, and notice how to get WIN-SCREWED.

Last edited by 6athome; 08-19-2019 at 05:13 AM.
post #74 of 93 Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The reset Dram tool gives me a error " for winscrew XP,Vistia? I recorded EPIX for free, last month,no problems,when I went to record HBO this month,my winscrew 8.1 would not record,keep on getting error of playready and Wjnscrew not activated? I believe Winscrew doesn't care about WMC and if a update screws WMC so what,we are only a small group.
Problem is I paid extra for WMC and it should be supported until 2023.
Winscrew wants the world to use it's playready, as a world solution to DRM, well they should look at their solution for WMC, and notice how to get WIN-SCREWED.

Hmmm. Angry much? Try solution 2 that I posted and it should fix your PlayReady issue. I have only used these fixes on Windows 7 but I assume they will also work for Windows 8.1. If not then maybe you can search for the solution yourself. This has been something that has plagued WMC users since Windows 7 was released. My HTPCs ran fine for years until I had this issue show up on several of them around the same time. I can only assume they snuck an update in there on me even though I had automatic updates turned off. I was able to fix the issue on all three HTPCs without too much difficulty.

I can't address the activation issue unless you're using a bootleg copy of Windows and it finally caught up with you. If that's the case then look for a legit license on ebay. I bought several legit Win 7 licenses for $5 or less.
post #75 of 93 Old 08-19-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Angry much? Try solution 2 that I posted and it should fix your PlayReady issue. I have only used these fixes on Windows 7 but I assume they will also work for Windows 8.1. If not then maybe you can search for the solution yourself. This has been something that has plagued WMC users since Windows 7 was released. My HTPCs ran fine for years until I had this issue show up on several of them around the same time. I can only assume they snuck an update in there on me even though I had automatic updates turned off. I was able to fix the issue on all three HTPCs without too much difficulty.

I can't address the activation issue unless you're using a bootleg copy of Windows and it finally caught up with you. If that's the case then look for a legit license on ebay. I bought several legit Win 7 licenses for $5 or less.
All my license are legitimate,they are activated,what gets me, with winscrew 8.1,that it keeps on wanting you to use cable adviser, which dons't work anymore,thank you winscrew!
I used my winscrew 7 computer, to record weekend movies,so it had to be a update for winscrew 8.1. Before I try solution 2, I want to ask, if you will lose all the DRM movies, you have already copied?
Another thing was, while I was reading everything I could on playready,I came across news of playready 3, which microscrew wants everyone to use for 4K content protection. The WORLD should look on how micoscrew, screws their legitimate customers, who own HTPC, with WMC and playready!

Last edited by 6athome; 08-20-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #76 of 93 Old 08-20-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All my license are legitimate,they are activated,what gets me, with winscrew 8.1,that it keeps on wanting you to use cable adviser, which dons't work anymore,thank you winscrew!
I used my winscrew 7 computer, to record weekend movies,so it had to be a update for winscrew 8.1. Before I try solution 2, I want to ask, if you will lose all the DRM movies, you have already copied?
Another thing was, while I was reading everything I could on playready,I came across news of playready 3, which microscrew wants everyone to use for 4K content protection. The WORLD should look on how micoscrew, screws their legitimate customers, who own HTPC, with WMC and playready!
I can't answer the question about any archived DRM recordings, but if they were recorded on the same PC and you haven't made any changes to the hardware then I suspect they will play fine. I avoided using Win 8.1 entirely and just stuck with Win 7. I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro the day it was released. I installed it on a PC and it didn't take long to realize that I wanted nothing to do with it so I went back to Windows 7 and never regretted my decision. I'm still using Windows 7 on all of my HTPCs except one which is dedicated to 4k video playback that uses Windows 10.

I would address the activation issue first before worrying about PlayReady. Try reinstalling the Windows key and see if it activates correctly. I turned off Windows updates on all of my Win 7 HTPCs a long time ago to avoid issues like this.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #77 of 93 Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
WMC in Win8 never worked as well as it did in Win7.

PlayReady is how MS enforces copy protection, which they are obligated to do if they want to allow recording (of protected content). WMC wouldn't be very useful if you couldn't record anything.

As for updates, my system (Win7 with WMC) has all of the latest updates and this has not been an issue.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #78 of 93 Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I can't answer the question about any archived DRM recordings, but if they were recorded on the same PC and you haven't made any changes to the hardware then I suspect they will play fine. I avoided using Win 8.1 entirely and just stuck with Win 7. I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro the day it was released. I installed it on a PC and it didn't take long to realize that I wanted nothing to do with it so I went back to Windows 7 and never regretted my decision. I'm still using Windows 7 on all of my HTPCs except one which is dedicated to 4k video playback that uses Windows 10.

I would address the activation issue first before worrying about PlayReady. Try reinstalling the Windows key and see if it activates correctly. I turned off Windows updates on all of my Win 7 HTPCs a long time ago to avoid issues like this.
It's probably been 4 years for me now. Not an issue has come my way. I don't use WMC anymore really so I've been thinking of going to Win10 but really don't want to have to re-install all my stuff. I suppose an issue could come my way with un-supported OS after next but it doesn't seem very likely being as the only thing I've updated is the virus definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials and I think that Windows Defender uses the same definitions so MSE will probably still be supported.

post #79 of 93 Old 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
WMC in Win8 never worked as well as it did in Win7.

PlayReady is how MS enforces copy protection, which they are obligated to do if they want to allow recording (of protected content). WMC wouldn't be very useful if you couldn't record anything.

As for updates, my system (Win7 with WMC) has all of the latest updates and this has not been an issue.
Hmm..

I disabled updates because a couple of KB's killed my concurrent RDP sessions hack and then a few more started forcing that whole GWX debockle on everybody. Do you have issues with this?

post #80 of 93 Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I tried 2,it won't work on windows 8.1.
post #81 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried 2,it won't work on windows 8.1.

OK. The solutions I posted work with Windows 7 so there was no guarantee they would work with 8.1. At this point I would say that Google is your best bet. That's how I found my solutions. I would also recommend searching through the Windows 8.1 section at The Green Button forums. I'm sure others have had this same issue and found a solution.
post #82 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hmm..

I disabled updates because a couple of KB's killed my concurrent RDP sessions hack and then a few more started forcing that whole GWX debockle on everybody. Do you have issues with this?
I'm not familiar with those issues. If you can give a brief summary, I can confirm or check it out.
post #83 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
I'm not familiar with those issues. If you can give a brief summary, I can confirm or check it out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...he_concurrent/

https://www.addictivetips.com/window...ck-windows-10/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/avoid-...port-warnings/

post #84 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM

I was thinking that was referring to the tuner hack. In any case, I'm only using a single Prime so I never had to deal with it.

I will if/when the new Prime 6 gets released. I could use the extra tuners for sure.

The update nag can be disabled and is a non-issue. After all of the hoopla about the issue the first time they pushed it, the second update warning had a checkbox to not remind you again.

Last edited by Krispy Kritter; 08-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #85 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM

I'm more referring to them disabling my concurrent RDP sessions. I really don't use that much anymore anyhow as I've re-purposed my HTPC to a Media Server. I suppose I should update Win7 before the update server goes dark but doing 3 or 4 years of updates at once is a little bit scary to say the least. If it ain't broke don't fix it but I'll probably build a couple of new PC's on Win10 in the next 6 months anyhow so that will solve that.

post #86 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm more referring to them disabling my concurrent RDP sessions. I really don't use that much anymore anyhow as I've re-purposed my HTPC to a Media Server. I suppose I should update Win7 before the update server goes dark but doing 3 or 4 years of updates at once is a little bit scary to say the least. If it ain't broke don't fix it but I'll probably build a couple of new PC's on Win10 in the next 6 months anyhow so that will solve that.
Ahh the concurrent RDP sessions hack, man I need to do this again I use RDP all the time. Looks like its still a thing on Win 10.
Sammy2 likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #87 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Ahh the concurrent RDP sessions hack, man I need to do this again I use RDP all the time. Looks like its still a thing on Win 10.
There's a concurrent sessions hack for Win10?

BTW, do you still use an HTPC connected to a TV? This is really the only time it is even useful, IMHO.

post #88 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's a concurrent sessions hack for Win10?

BTW, do you still use an HTPC connected to a TV? This is really the only time it is even useful, IMHO.
Yeah the hack is available for win 10. There are two versions, one gets messed up with updates one doesn't.

Yeah I use an HTPC in my living room, every time I rdp into it when I go to use it in the living room I have to pull out the keyboard to login.

A long time ago I had a little app that sat on the desktop, whenever you wanted to disconnect from RDP it would restore the session so that it was logged in.
It was really cool I have not been able to find it though, looked around a couple times.
Sammy2 likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #89 of 93 Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
I'm using a Verizion cable card with a Silicon Dust Home Run Prime (3 tuner) on windows 10 and it works great.
Curious, what front end are you using. I'm using a Ceton with Spectrum on WMC and starting to get paranoid about Win7 end of life.
post #90 of 93 Old 10-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hmmmm, that is very interesting. I might have to look into it, I love Jriver buy only use it for audio.
I too use J River for audio. Started reading on their site this morning about using it for TV.
I admit, I'm simple but, the setup looks really confusing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page