Current state of cablecard on Windows - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #91 of 93 Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post
Curious, what front end are you using. I'm using a Ceton with Spectrum on WMC and starting to get paranoid about Win7 end of life.
I'm using NextPVR to handle all of my recording.
https://www.nextpvr.com/

I wanted a free solution, but I do pay for the Schedules Direct subscription for the channel guides. Its painless and worth it.

I don't ever watch using nPVR, though. For live TV, I use the HomeRun apps for that.

My workflow is nPVR for recording, and the TS files get placed into a "monitored" folder. I use MCEBuddy (http://www.mcebuddy2x.com/) to monitor the folder and compress whatever is recorded into a more useful format and size, and then dump that file into the right destination folder on my server.

MCEBuddy can read the metadata for "type" and distinguish between a TV show and a movie. So I use MCEBuddy to compress TV shows to mp4 with AAC stereo files for easy streaming on Plex. I convert movies to MKV with their original AC3 (typically) audio tracks.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 10-17-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post
I too use J River for audio. Started reading on their site this morning about using it for TV.

I admit, I'm simple but, the setup looks really confusing...

Yeah jriver doesn't get any points in the ease of use category. I have messed with it with video a little and for me it feels too involved. It still feels like an audio player that added video at some point.

I much prefer Emby server.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #93 of 93 Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah jriver doesn't get any points in the ease of use category. I have messed with it with video a little and for me it feels too involved. It still feels like an audio player that added video at some point.

I much prefer Emby server.
I have a Windows 10 HTPC dedicated primarily for movie and archived TV show playback as well as music. I use JRiver pretty much exclusively on that PC. It works great for playback of mkv files. I started using it for 4k movie playback but had some issues with it initially. Whatever bug I was experiencing has been fixed in later updates and now it works great. It isn't the most user friendly app to get configured, but what it does it does well. I don't even bother with any 3rd party DVR apps for TV since WMC is the only option for recording DRM channels on a PC. I switched over to using epg123 a couple of years ago and never looked back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page