Indiscriminate screeching sound from PC to Reciver via Optical cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Indiscriminate screeching sound from PC to Reciver via Optical cable

I have a Small form PC. That I have hooked up to my TV. The PC has a HDMI hooked up to the TV and optical cable that is hooked up to my receiver "Marantz SR5009"

I have been experiencing loud indiscriminate screeching when I have the audio outputting to optical.

It doesn't happen all the time. It seems to only happen upon boot-up or coming out of sleep mode. Regardless if I have it defaulted to optical or have it set to HDMI than switch to optical.

When it happens the only things that seems to fix it is restarting the PC than its just fine. And again it doesn't do it all the time just rarely.

I contacted ASRock about it and they didn't seem to want to bother with figuring it out. And just send a RMA. But, if I can fix it I would prefer that route. As I am not keen on having to tear down the PC and wait for a replacement board.

So, I thought I would check with you all just in case someone might have a idea of the cause or a fix.

Thank again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
If ASRock is willing to send you a new motherboard then I would go ahead and do that. If that doesn't solve your problem then it probably lies elsewhere. I'm not familiar with your receiver but I'm guessing it does not have HDMI inputs or outputs. If that's the case then I would strongly advise upgrading to a newer receiver because yours may be seriously outdated. The preferred hookup is HDMI out to the receiver and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Using optical in conjunction with HDMI is a kludged setup and may not work as you would like it to.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDelmo View Post
I have a Small form PC. That I have hooked up to my TV. The PC has a HDMI hooked up to the TV and optical cable that is hooked up to my receiver "Marantz SR5009"

I have been experiencing loud indiscriminate screeching when I have the audio outputting to optical.

It doesn't happen all the time. It seems to only happen upon boot-up or coming out of sleep mode. Regardless if I have it defaulted to optical or have it set to HDMI than switch to optical.

When it happens the only things that seems to fix it is restarting the PC than its just fine. And again it doesn't do it all the time just rarely.

I contacted ASRock about it and they didn't seem to want to bother with figuring it out. And just send a RMA. But, if I can fix it I would prefer that route. As I am not keen on having to tear down the PC and wait for a replacement board.

So, I thought I would check with you all just in case someone might have a idea of the cause or a fix.

Thank again.
The SR5009 supports 4k/60 video pass through so why is your chain not just HDMI from pc to receiver to display?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The SR5009 supports 4k/60 video pass through so why is your chain not just HDMI from pc to receiver to display?
I like to listen to music from the PC while I am on another input for playing games. Not sure how I would do a HDMI set-up. Where I could play a game with audio on my TV while getting music though the receiver.

Any suggestions?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
I like to listen to music from the PC while I am on another input for playing games. Not sure how I would do a HDMI set-up. Where I could play a game with audio on my TV while getting music though the receiver.

Any suggestions?
Connect the game console directly to the TV via a different HDMI input and switch the audio on the TV to the internal speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:

Any suggestions?
The screeching is most likely the sound of corrupted data going through your optical cable for whatever reason. It could be poor hard drive read, some memory corruption, but it's most likely a poor optical cable. Have you tried swapping it? What about swapping the optical cable with a regular RCA stereo cable? Since you're only using that for listening to music, you can send the 5.1 output through HDMI when not playing the game and the 2 channel out RCA. It's at least a good test to see if the problem goes away.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The screeching is most likely the sound of corrupted data going through your optical cable for whatever reason. It could be poor hard drive read, some memory corruption, but it's most likely a poor optical cable. Have you tried swapping it? What about swapping the optical cable with a regular RCA stereo cable? Since you're only using that for listening to music, you can send the 5.1 output through HDMI when not playing the game and the 2 channel out RCA. It's at least a good test to see if the problem goes away.
I'll try the 3.5 into Stereo RCA and see if it does it again. I'll let you know the results.

And thanks everyone for the help. Its greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-30-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Sense I've switched it hasn't done it sense. Meaning its only the Optical connection.

How would I test to see if optical port itself is defective or if its just a bad connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page