Difficulty downloading the latest TV guide Win7 media center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Difficulty downloading the latest TV guide Win7 media center

Difficulty downloading the latest TV guide Win7 media center

Still using windows7 media center w/ free TV antenna and explorer as net connection.

I have a internet connection w/ very strong signal however when I attempt to download latest TV guide.the mixed messages I get are a download is in progress.

This process is usually very quick like a few minutes for like ten days of data now it never starts or completes this crape started last night.

I have all auto updates turned off and has been for several years and it being off never interfered w/ the TV guide info.
When the guide is DLed I then delete all objects and files. then after DL I disconnect the net connection.

Tried several times to restore sys. To earlier date no improvement.

Is there a problem w/ the people supplying the data? my zip code is 36111

apparently there are indeed problems on the transmitting end, I'm not missing and regular shows because they are reruns anyway.
however I'm missing American ninja car racing boxing ect.guess I'll go to plan B and use TV guide online and do scheduled TV recording the old fashioned method.
Thanks for any advice STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 06-27-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
post #3 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 419
This is why many of us have switched to using epg123 with a subscription to Schedules Direct. You can find more info on it here. A yearly subscription to Schedules Direct is only $25 for up to five TVs. It gets the guide data from Tribune Media and not the crap the Microsoft uses from Rovi. EPG123 automatically downloads the data from Schedules Direct and integrates this data into WMC. Just go to the Schedules Direct website and select the lineups based on your location so epg123 knows which data to download. Install epg123 on your WMC PC and setup the login information for your Schedules Direct account. Configure the lineups for the channels you wish to include in the guide (epg123 only selects the complete lineups for your local channels or cable provider; you need to select the channels in epg123 that you want to see listed in the grid guide in WMC). Configure the various options and set up a schedule when you want the guide data updated. Save and exit the program or save and execute it to download and install the latest guide data. The data will be updated automatically based on the schedule you chose. You will never have to worry about guide data outages ever again. I've been using it for a couple of years with WMC and I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
My Win7 DVR server craped out last week so instead of repairing it I decided to try Silicondust's HDhomerun DVR service. It integrated real well with my Win10 server and the two FireTV's. It's $35 a year for unlimited TV's in the same domain. Live TV works great but the DVR is pure crap compared to WMC. Luckily I only really need it for OTA of CBS because I have Hulu commercial free that has all the other local network shows within 24 hrs. It's free for 2 months so I will check out other alternatives but so far they are either twice the price or don't work well with my Win10 and FireTV's all running KODI.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 535
About twice a year the guide data stops and only gets restored at the last minute. Usually it's around the daylight saving time changeover.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-29-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Difficulty installing free alternative to win7MC for DVR functions
Years ago I messed around w/ the x/box version of kodi I think it was called XBMC
Never got the hang of using it, I really like simple easy to use not password for (this that and the other) M$/kodi/ homerun ect.now they M$ wants a phone# that’s not happening.rant over.
Still using win7 media center, when I read M$ stops surporting in January that means no more DVR data this is a downgrade.

First error was my explorer browser was out of date so I DL chrome. Successfully.

Second error was I needed to down load window7 sp1 I choose 64bit. There was a bunch to choose from I picked like the 4th from top Not sure if it DLed or even if I picked the correct revision.

Third error was the code they (M$) emailed was a 4 digit code didn’t match M$ wanting a phone# hoping to spoof my phone.

There is a kodi icon on the desktop then I click, 4th error unable to create application. Exiting.

Temporally gave up on Kodi tried too get epg123, I have the icon however when I click it asks for log in password I must have missed the part where to configure that I think this is a paid account for subscprition.

I have no idea what I’m doing wasted hours on this crape Seams like a huge PITA to watch TV w/out win7mc.

There has to be an easy alternative for folks that don’t passwords, DLs and all the other associated crape.
I’d like a free service apparently plex is a paid subscprition.

Attempted media portal2 1st attempt ended up at a classified 2nd attempt saw credit card that said I wouldn’t be charged if I wasn’t being charged who do they think they are google play store?
Emby at there DL they where selling windows.

Would like to continue w/ current i3 CPU and intel 57mobo guess it will be relegated to achieved recordings.
Apparently nothings free anymore even a OTA Tivo?

edit: I have silicon dust home run didn't they recently develope dvr SW?

Thanks for advising a none windows nerd. STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 06-29-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-29-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 487
WMC guide has been restored. No need to panic. In the past, it has always been the last few days of the guide before the issue was fixed.

HDHR DVR currently only works with non-DRM channel recording. You can view DRM channels but not record it. Plus you need pay a yearly subscription fee. No free ride.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-29-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

yes guides back I actually dislike the synopsis like the first 2 sentences about a director I know actors not directors.

I have Silicon Dust home run & haugpage tuners they have I think pause live tv

it will suck to not have a dvr guide, will win7 still pause live TV still function?

like we are only being deprived of the guide data correct, the rest still functions correct?
STB

post #9 of 20 Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 AM

You will need WIn10 (or Android, iOS devices) to have HDHR DVR support or live TV pause.

No one knows what will happen to WMC.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-29-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Yes, wmc still works without guide data. You can even make manual (time channel) recordings.

Guide jyst makes it a million times easier.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
Temporally gave up on Kodi tried too get epg123, I have the icon however when I click it asks for log in password I must have missed the part where to configure that I think this is a paid account for subscprition.
Clearly you did not read my post about epg123. I'm assuming that you also neglected to read the installation and setup guide that's posted on the same website that you downloaded epg123 from. You need to RTFM. You need a paid subscription to Schedules Direct at a cost of $25 per year. You log into your Schedules Direct account via epg123 to access your account for the guide data. You will never have to worry about WMC running out of guide data nor will you have to worry about Microsoft dropping support for Windows 7. EPG123 makes you completely independent of Microsoft and allows you to use WMC for as long as your HTPC stays alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
No one knows what will happen to WMC.
Nothing will happen to WMC. It will still work for as long as you have hardware to use it on. The only drawback is dependency on Microsoft to continue to provide crappy guide data from Rovi, hence the need to use epg123. I fully expect Microsoft to pull the plug on the guide data when they drop support for Windows 7, but since WMC was also available with Windows 8 the more likely scenario is that they will continue to provide guide data until they drop support for Windows 8. I switched to epg123 a couple of years ago and I love it. The guide data is better, I can include season and episode info right in the title of the recorded show, I can extend the guide data out to 30 days if I like (most listings don't show anything usable past 14 days so it's mostly a placeholder for anything beyond that), and best of all I never have to worry about guide data running out.

It's really a no-brainer with Microsoft pulling the plug on Windows 7. If you want to continue using WMC it's really your best and only option. No other DVR app allows you to view and record DRM content. I'm not holding my breath waiting for SiliconDust to get this working because they have broken more promises than I can count. I love their products but I have little faith that they will actually follow through with anything they've promised. Besides, I already have a 6-tuner cablecard tuner from Ceton and it works great.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-30-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Yes, wmc still works without guide data. You can even make manual (time channel) recordings.

Guide jyst makes it a million times easier.
Given that I currently can't even make changes to my channel line up because the guide mis-mapped two of my channels to wrong channel, I'd say it is dead in the water without a guide (not to be confused with temporary guide down issue where you still have the channel line up but no guide data).

I'm aware that you can add missing channels when you have ATSC or ClearQAM tuners. But for a CableCard tuner, it is completely relied on guide for channel mapping.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Clearly you did not read my post about epg123. I'm assuming that you also neglected to read the installation and setup guide that's posted on the same website that you downloaded epg123 from. You need to RTFM. You need a paid subscription to Schedules Direct at a cost of $25 per year. You log into your Schedules Direct account via epg123 to access your account for the guide data. You will never have to worry about WMC running out of guide data nor will you have to worry about Microsoft dropping support for Windows 7. EPG123 makes you completely independent of Microsoft and allows you to use WMC for as long as your HTPC stays alive.

actually I did read you'r post which is excellent advice as it usually is.

guess I was thinking there was a scrapped down free version w/ limited info. there's something about paying for free TV that just doesn't sit well w/ me. free should be free.

I would think myself to be a fool to read TBA to be announced, like for example football games the schedule is known years in advance and playoffs minum week in advance so why do I observe TBA. also I've really scaled back my regular record watch delete programs by 50% since I'd prefer to be out to sea on 3-4 day cruises in the Gulf of Mexico sure I'll take some shows on flash drive but really could live w/out that entertainment.

Nothing will happen to WMC. It will still work for as long as you have hardware to use it on. The only drawback is dependency on Microsoft to continue to provide crappy guide data from Rovi, hence the need to use epg123. I fully expect Microsoft to pull the plug on the guide data when they drop support for Windows 7, but since WMC was also available with Windows 8 the more likely scenario is that they will continue to provide guide data until they drop support for Windows 8. I switched to epg123 a couple of years ago and I love it. The guide data is better, I can include season and episode info right in the title of the recorded show, I can extend the guide data out to 30 days if I like (most listings don't show anything usable past 14 days so it's mostly a placeholder for anything beyond that), and best of all I never have to worry about guide data running out.

since you indorse epg123 I'll take a serious look. how are they w/ the football schedules NFL not that boring girly game also referred to football ?

It's really a no-brainer with Microsoft pulling the plug on Windows 7. If you want to continue using WMC it's really your best and only option. No other DVR app allows you to view and record DRM content. I'm not holding my breath waiting for SiliconDust to get this working because they have broken more promises than I can count. I love their products but I have little faith that they will actually follow through with anything they've promised. Besides, I already have a 6-tuner cablecard tuner from Ceton and it works great.
I've become anti M$

yes definitely a niche market there hopefully a TV co. will step up. back in the olden days of analog TV panasonic had a excellent guide very accurate and easy to use.

please Panasonic give us a decent guide that only works on panasonic and I'll buy you're TV even though my samsung still works fine, I'll give it away to the needy, Panasonic makes excellent products hell they invented the plasma and they know guides.

as for silicon dust home run it plainly doesn't preform well as a tuner on CBS many corrupted recordings where the huagpage records CBS much better I've actually over programmed the same program and the silicon fails where the haugpage records fine.

Last edited by stevethebrain; 06-30-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Given that I currently can't even make changes to my channel line up because the guide mis-mapped two of my channels to wrong channel, I'd say it is dead in the water without a guide (not to be confused with temporary guide down issue where you still have the channel line up but no guide data).

I'm aware that you can add missing channels when you have ATSC or ClearQAM tuners. But for a CableCard tuner, it is completely relied on guide for channel mapping.
are you saying in my situation free OTA antenna I have the channel line up of the guide

when the data is no longer available the channel where still there just no data available.

I could say click 5-5:30 slot which I know is the fake news (you know when I need some virgina comedy)show then just rename as fake VC news?
this would speed up the timer programming process.

post #15 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Panasonic and every other TV manufacturer does not provide guide data. You're mainly going to get it from either Rovi or Tribune Media. The Rovi data is adequate, but only just so. The data from Tribune is much more complete and worth paying $25 a year for the ability to incorporate it into WMC.

FYI - The NFL doesn't even know what the schedule for each team will be years in advance so I don't know where you came up with that notion. Here's how the NFL decides which games are being played each season:

1. Each team plays their division rivals twice each season so that's six games..

2. Each team plays every team in a division within their conference one time for a total of four games. This rotates each year in a specific order so they do know which division they will be playing every season.

3. Each team plays every team within a single division in the opposite conference for a total of four games. Again, this is a set rotation so the teams are known in advance.

4. Each team plays every other team within their conference that finished in the same place in their respective division (e.g., every 1st place team in a division plays every other 1st place team within their conference; 2nd place plays 2nd place, etc. Since they're already playing every team within their own division and every team in another division within their conference, that only leaves two other teams in the remaining divisions that they will play. This is the wildcard that keeps them from knowing the full schedule in advance.

6 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 16 games

The NFL isn't clairvoyant enough to know how each team will finish within their division so there is no way to know which teams in the other two divisions they will be playing until the previous season is over. They also need to coordinate with the various stadiums to make sure there aren't conflicting events scheduled on the same day. That's why the upcoming schedule for each season isn't announced until several months before the start of each season. Game times and dates are also subject to change at the last minute for various reasons.

TV is never free. You pay for network TV through the products you buy. You pay for cable TV with your subscription plus products that you buy. Cord cutting is a misnomer because you still have to pay for internet if you stream from Netflix, etc. It only applies if you watch OTA TV.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Panasonic and every other TV manufacturer does not provide guide data. You're mainly going to get it from either Rovi or Tribune Media. The Rovi data is adequate, but only just so. The data from Tribune is much more complete and worth paying $25 a year for the ability to incorporate it into WMC.

FYI - The NFL doesn't even know what the schedule for each team will be years in advance so I don't know where you came up with that notion. Here's how the NFL decides which games are being played each season:

1. Each team plays their division rivals twice each season so that's six games..

2. Each team plays every team in a division within their conference one time for a total of four games. This rotates each year in a specific order so they do know which division they will be playing every season.

3. Each team plays every team within a single division in the opposite conference for a total of four games. Again, this is a set rotation so the teams are known in advance.

4. Each team plays every other team within their conference that finished in the same place in their respective division (e.g., every 1st place team in a division plays every other 1st place team within their conference; 2nd place plays 2nd place, etc. Since they're already playing every team within their own division and every team in another division within their conference, that only leaves two other teams in the remaining divisions that they will play. This is the wildcard that keeps them from knowing the full schedule in advance.

6 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 16 games

The NFL isn't clairvoyant enough to know how each team will finish within their division so there is no way to know which teams in the other two divisions they will be playing until the previous season is over. They also need to coordinate with the various stadiums to make sure there aren't conflicting events scheduled on the same day. That's why the upcoming schedule for each season isn't announced until several months before the start of each season. Game times and dates are also subject to change at the last minute for various reasons.

TV is never free. You pay for network TV through the products you buy. You pay for cable TV with your subscription plus products that you buy. Cord cutting is a misnomer because you still have to pay for internet if you stream from Netflix, etc. It only applies if you watch OTA TV.
Yes you are correct as usalle I probably should have rephrased to at least one season in advance. Just saying TBA is a joke when this data is available today, I can virtually guarantee the guide will publish TBA because they simply don’t give a dam.

The falcons already know there whole season, who an when/where there playing and what channel is broadcasting it, except for preseason whoever watchs that.
Link to Schedule https://www.atlantafalcons.com/schedule/
I can understand games being postponed for like weather however it should be published there's a saying the show must go on I think the NFL covers there rears w/ fine print at the bottom about the show mite not go on because of this tat and the other.

I should have rephrased TV co.s as TV co.s that made DVRs w/ builtin guide remember the olden days of analog.

yes I admit I have the OTA an to not knowing how the none conference games where chosen good infor. but more than I care to know outside the national south conference.

Last edited by stevethebrain; 06-30-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
Yes you are correct as usalle I probably should have rephrased to at least one season in advance. Just saying TBA is a joke when this data is available today, I can virtually guarantee the guide will publish TBA because they simply don’t give a dam.

The falcons already know there whole season, who an when/where there playing and what channel is broadcasting it, except for preseason whoever watchs that.
Link to Schedule https://www.atlantafalcons.com/schedule/

yes I admit I have the OTA

If you're still using the Rovi data from Microsoft then that's probably why you get the TBA in the guide. Sometimes the data provider isn't given the data until the last minute so it never gets updated in the guide in a timely manner. I don't think I've ever had that problem getting data for the Ravens games on either local or cable channels.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-05-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
If you're still using the Rovi data from Microsoft then that's probably why you get the TBA in the guide. Sometimes the data provider isn't given the data until the last minute so it never gets updated in the guide in a timely manner. I don't think I've ever had that problem getting data for the Ravens games on either local or cable channels.
There is a night and day difference between the Rovi and Tribune media feed. I switched several years ago myself. The guide is more accurate, complete, and will often get last minute updates (such as a NASCAR race which gets postponed until Monday because of rain or whatever...I've had those events get recorded on Monday).

You aren't paying for TV. You are paying a third party to accumulate and provide all of the programming data from numerous sources. And in my opinion, they do it better than of the other options which I've used.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

yeah I hate that when the race is postponed, especially when I don't come back and verify the event was actually recorded thanks for reminding me to verify. I just stock up and watch when I feel like it then feel stupid that recorded a load of crape.

hopefully a TV co. will step up w/ free guide
I'm willing to endure commercials like on free y tube.

off topic hey do you Guy's watch certain shows on certain days or times of days.

example early in the morning is to early for murder murder but is acceptable later in day.

example 2 I like my boating/fishing and occasional car shows on Saturday morming
STB

post #20 of 20 Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There are some select shows (car shows or racing mostly) that I like and which I record and then watch when I have time. Otherwise, I simply watch whatever is on when I have TV time.

I don't DVR normal TV shows. If I like the show, I will catch in on Netflix/Hulu/DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page