Optiplex 3060 SFF only has two displayports, no hdmi - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Optiplex 3060 SFF only has two displayports, no hdmi

Today I bought a nearly-new Optiplex 3060 SFF to replace our HP HTPC. As I try to set up the new used computer, I notice that it does not nave an HDMI port, only two displayports.

I see that there are displayport to hdmi adapters, but I don't know which to buy. I would like a future-proof adapter that can output 4K @ 60hz. Any suggestions on which adapter to buy, hopefully inexpensive?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 480
If your OptiPlex does not support 4k, there is no reason to invest on more expensive (something around $30) active adapters. Simply buy a DP to HDMI cable, or a passive adapter, will do and it is dirt cheap. For something like $5 to $10, there is no need to future proof it.
post #3 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
If your OptiPlex does not support 4k, there is no reason to invest on more expensive (something around $30) active adapters. Simply buy a DP to HDMI cable, or a passive adapter, will do and it is dirt cheap. For something like $5 to $10, there is no need to future proof it.
The little computer has a i7-8700, 8gb RAM and a 256gb SSD. At least Intel's specs claim that that processor's on-board graphics can output 4K @ 60hz, so I figured, what the heck, buy an adapter than can handle that resolution. But maybe Intel's specs are BS.
I'm considering this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Displ...f_=nav_signin&
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 488
OptiPlex ssf cases in the past have had a slot to support a half height video card like a Nvidia 1030 to get Hevc H265 support and lossless audio that I suspect the on board graphics don't support.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
OptiPlex ssf cases in the past have had a slot to support a half height video card like a Nvidia 1030 to get Hevc H265 support and lossless audio that I suspect the on board graphics don't support.
Yes, there is a slot in our 3060 for a half-height video card. For now I'm going with the i-8700 for both audio an video.

But the problem now is that I can only get 2-channel audio via the new displayport-to-hdmi adapter.

Here's the present system chain. Computer to adapter to 4x2 hdmi matrix switcher to hdmi-video-to-JVC RS1projector; finally, matrix switcher optical spdif output to Denon 5800 receiver.

I have three other devices -- a cable box, Roku Streaming Stick and Panasonic BD player connected to the 4x2 matrix switcher which, again, splits the HDMI audio and video and outputs audio via SPDIF optical to the Denon reciever. These three devices all output 5.1-channel audio.

The 3060 recognizes the RS1 as "ILAFPJ--XH" display device with "location 2 (internal high definition audio bus), but, again, only shows "2-channel", with 5.1 and 7.1 greyed out.

Any suggestions on how to get 5.1?

Thanks.
post #6 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The onboard audio may not support anything greater than stereo. Just pop in a low-profile fanless GeForce 1030 with GDDR or a low-profile 1050 TI, depending on what you want to spend. Their onboard audio controller will handle everything for you and you can disable the onboard audio in the BIOS, which will free up system resources.
post #7 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The onboard audio may not support anything greater than stereo. Just pop in a low-profile fanless GeForce 1030 with GDDR or a low-profile 1050 TI, depending on what you want to spend. Their onboard audio controller will handle everything for you and you can disable the onboard audio in the BIOS, which will free up system resources.
The i-8700 supposedly supports 5.1 and 7.1.

I had a 1.5-hour discussion with a Dell tech. along with some deletions and re-installations of audio drivers and probably at least 10 restarts.

At the end of this ordeal, he felt that the MB may be faulty and told me that it would be replaced at no charge. (The computer is so new that it still has its pro-service plan in effect, which is lucky for me.) I agree about the faulty board, because now when I boot the computer I get "no signal" from the RS1 and the same from our year-old Sony 900e TV. It's either that or the adapter failed, which is indeed a possibility, but it was working just fine when my conversation with Dell began.

Anyway, within the next few days a Dell tech is going to come and replace the MB. I've told Dell to tell the tech to bring a known-good adapter along with him/her.

Last edited by Herve; 07-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 PM

HDMI audio format support is strictly based on EDID info exchange from one device only. So far, none of your components in the chain says explicitly 5.1 on HDMI. So you will never get 5.1.

It looks like it took the projector EDID info, not the switcher that extracts audio.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
HDMI audio format support is strictly based on EDID info exchange from one device only. So far, none of your components in the chain says explicitly 5.1 on HDMI. So you will never get 5.1.

It looks like it took the projector EDID info, not the switcher that extracts audio.

The RS1 has no speaker, so I don't know why it would send 2-channel to that device.

The 5060 (not 3060, as I've incorrectly stated several times) replaces an HP Slimline HTPC whose mb failed a few weeks ago. The latter had many more outputs than the 5060 -- hdmi, optical spdif, dvi, and several others I cannot now remember. It had a rudimentary video card, but it played BDs and HDDVDs perfectly. The HDMI was connected to the RS1 and the mb's optical was connected to the Denon. Again, no problem sending 5.1 to the Denon while the video card was connected to the RS1.
The problem with the 5060 is probably that both audio and video are carried in the Displayport output. The 5060 has only one other audio output -- an analog line out. Pathetic.

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive add-on sound card either to plug into the mb or USB that has optical spdif output?
post #10 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The i-8700's data sheet.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...eet-vol-1.html
Attached is a photo of the integrated audio section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i7 8700 data sheet.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2587606  
post #11 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM

I had a HDMI switcher with audio extraction to toslink. It has a DIP switch to report back whether to support 2-ch stereo or DD 5.1 audio.

Yes, there are USB sound cards.

post #12 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The problem with installing a say 1030 is that after installation I'd be where I am right now -- running an HDMI cable from the new video card to the HDMI switcher and hoping that the audio that is sent to the switcher (and thus to the Denon via SPDIF) can be configured to 5.1. I think that it could, but I thought the same thing about the 8700 and, so far anyway, it just ain't happening.

One thing I already don't like about the 8700's internal graphics and audio is that to my knowledge there is no Intel-brand GUI/control panel like there is with an Nvidia card. AFAIK, one has to use the Windows settings to set and change everything video and audio, and there the story simply ends, with no option other than 2-channel audio, which IMO is ridiculous, condsidering that I have the three previously-mentioned video/audio sources which can all be set to a variety of audio-out options -- in my system's case, 5.1.

Intel/windows should simply allow the user to select 5.1 to feed an "HDCP-approved" display device like the RS1, regardless of whether or not it "thinks" the RS1 can accept that audio stream. After all, I can't be the only person in the world who uses an hdmi audio/video splitting device. If this rigidity is due to the design of "displayport", I'm definitely not impressed.

I'm considering buyin a local used xonar low profile sound card which has an optical spdif output. I think that that card should allow me to send 5.1 audio directly to the Denon, but seeing how Intel/windows presently limits audio output, presumably because of the RS1, I am not certain that Windows will allow 5.1 to be sent to/out a sound card for the same reason. (I wish that I was as much a tighhtwad as I am right now back in the mid 1990s when my wife and I spent over $5k for a computer that had 1/1000th the capabilities of the 5060 at 1/18th the price.)
post #13 of 42 Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
The problem with installing a say 1030 is that after installation I'd be where I am right now -- running an HDMI cable from the new video card to the HDMI switcher and hoping that the audio that is sent to the switcher (and thus to the Denon via SPDIF) can be configured to 5.1. I think that it could, but I thought the same thing about the 8700 and, so far anyway, it just ain't happening.

One thing I already don't like about the 8700's internal graphics and audio is that to my knowledge there is no Intel-brand GUI/control panel like there is with an Nvidia card. AFAIK, one has to use the Windows settings to set and change everything video and audio, and there the story simply ends, with no option other than 2-channel audio, which IMO is ridiculous, condsidering that I have the three previously-mentioned video/audio sources which can all be set to a variety of audio-out options -- in my system's case, 5.1.

Intel/windows should simply allow the user to select 5.1 to feed an "HDCP-approved" display device like the RS1, regardless of whether or not it "thinks" the RS1 can accept that audio stream. After all, I can't be the only person in the world who uses an hdmi audio/video splitting device. If this rigidity is due to the design of "displayport", I'm definitely not impressed.

I'm considering buyin a local used xonar low profile sound card which has an optical spdif output. I think that that card should allow me to send 5.1 audio directly to the Denon, but seeing how Intel/windows presently limits audio output, presumably because of the RS1, I am not certain that Windows will allow 5.1 to be sent to/out a sound card for the same reason. (I wish that I was as much a tighhtwad as I am right now back in the mid 1990s when my wife and I spent over $5k for a computer that had 1/1000th the capabilities of the 5060 at 1/18th the price.)
This is the reason why most of us have an more recent AVR with HDMI support. Let the AVR do the processing instead of trying to band aid together hardware from the 1990's. AVR's that support HDMI and lossless audio have been around for a long time and are dirt cheap in the used market.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #14 of 42 Old 07-05-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the reason why most of us have an more recent AVR with HDMI support. Let the AVR do the processing instead of trying to band aid together hardware from the 1990's. AVR's that support HDMI and lossless audio have been around for a long time and are dirt cheap in the used market.
Here's a link to a 2001 Sound and Vision review of our Denon AVR-5800 reciever.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-av-receiver-0

Just read the first paragraph and then find the MSRP near the end and I think you will understand why my wife and I are reluctant to take the 62-lb 5800 out of service.
post #15 of 42 Old 07-05-2019, 07:25 AM

Everything in that article is really really old and nothing to lust for, IMO. For one, you are using the optical SPDIF connection which limits you to 5.1 lossy audio only. You will no be able to enjoy any of the lossless HD audio regardless how great the amp section of the receiver is.
post #16 of 42 Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Here's a link to a 2001 Sound and Vision review of our Denon AVR-5800 reciever.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-av-receiver-0

Just read the first paragraph and then find the MSRP near the end and I think you will understand why my wife and I are reluctant to take the 62-lb 5800 out of service.
I understand your reluctance to give it up but its a dinosaur with almost no resale value. The only reason to keep it is for its only two accessible power amps. I threw a Sony CRT HD projector with a MSRP of $16,000 (I bought it used so I didn't pay close to that) in the trash that worked perfectly because I couldn't give the 250 Lb beast away. Unless you have very inefficient speakers a $200 AVR today will sound a lot better.

post #17 of 42 Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand your reluctance to give it up but its a dinosaur with almost no resale value. The only reason to keep it is for its only two accessible power amps. I threw a Sony CRT HD projector with a MSRP of $16,000 (I bought it used so I didn't pay close to that) in the trash that worked perfectly because I couldn't give the 250 Lb beast away. Unless you have very inefficient speakers a $200 AVR today will sound a lot better.
I took our NEC 9PG+ to the eco station last year. The day we got our RS1, about 11 years ago, was the last day we used the NEC. It still looked impressive on the ceiling for those 11 years, however.

Video technology has evolved over a dramatically different time scale than sound-reproduction technology. Good audio has been around a very long time. Tube amplifiers are still regarded by many, including myself, as far superior to solid state amplifiers. I have a modern, small (perhaps 10-pound), $500, 15-watt-per-channel stereo integrated tube amp that, when coupled with our pair of Paradigm Studio 100 tower speakers a 4 ohms, creates a reproduction of sound that absolutely blows away the reproduction of the same sound when the Denon is paired with the same speakers.

Well-done vinyl records are regarded by many audiophiles to be superior to digital recordings, although it would be tough to sync-up a record with a video being played in a home theater .

When I want truly losses audio I don't go to a movie theater or our home theater. I play our piano or I go outside to listen to the world or I go to a concert hall.

5.1 audio via spdif is just fine for my wife and I in our home theater. Dell and I will find a way to get 5.1 out of our 5060.

Back on topic, a Dell technician put a new MB into our 5060 yesterday morning, less than 24 hours after the Dell tech told me that Dell would replace the MB. After the MB was swapped, when the computer first booted and the tech wanted to get into bios, there was an image on the screen, but after the bios business was done, as soon as the windows logo appeared, the display lost signal. The tech believes that one or more of the drivers installed the previous day, to put it technically, screwed things up -- quite possibly corrupting the new adapter or something in windows itself. He said that if I contacted Dell about this issue that the first thing that Dell would do is tell me to eliminate the new adapter as a possible issue. Therefore, I've ordered a 6-foot, male-displayport- to-male-hdmi cable which should be here Wednesday. I'll then use it to connect the 5060 to our Sony 900e. If the new cable does not work, I'll call Dell support again and, supposedly, according to the tech, there will be some way to restore the originally-installed Windows 10. If the computer does manage to fully boot up and I still can't get 5,1, I'll contact Dell again and take it from there. The Dell tech on the phone said that the computer SHOULD be able to be programmed to allow 5.1. If that can't be done, as a next step, I'll buy an inexpensive sound card and see what happens. If that fails, I understand that connecting the computer to an HDFury device can definitely solve this problem. Supposedly you can program the device to tell the computer that it is connected to whatever display or audio device you desire and, if that is true, then 5.1 should be selectable and I'll re-sell the sound card.
post #18 of 42 Old 07-06-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you telling us the Dell tech left the PC in a unbootable condition? I guess I am not surprised as I know what they pay those guys. You need to boot it in WinRE mode as they kind of eliminated the old safe mode. Look it up on google as its a little complicated or just wait to talk to Dell support. I seriously doubt it caused any hardware issue most likely a driver issue. A HDfury is a rather expensive fix but what ever floats your boat.

post #19 of 42 Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you telling us the Dell tech left the PC in a unbootable condition? I guess I am not surprised as I know what they pay those guys. You need to boot it in WinRE mode as they kind of eliminated the old safe mode. Look it up on google as its a little complicated or just wait to talk to Dell support. I seriously doubt it caused any hardware issue most likely a driver issue. A HDfury is a rather expensive fix but what ever floats your boat.
The Dell tech who eventually came over called us at 08:00 to ask if the computer was available to be worked on. I said yes, but I added that I hoped he would bring with him a known-good displayport-to-hdmi cable or adapter. He said that Dell did not allow techs to bring such devices. I then asked if he could bring a monitor that had a displayport input so that he could connect the 5060 to it, in order to completely eliminate the adapter from the chain. He said that Dell did not allow that either. He said that his task was to replace the MB and, really, that was it. And that's exactly what happened. And then he hit the power button, etc.

The tech attempted to start the PC in safe mode (maybe it was WinRE), but the moment anything windows appeared on the screen, the TV lost signal. When he said that he thought it was possible the the drivers downloaded the previous day had somehow corrupted the adapter, I said that the adapter worked until windows started to start and I reiterated my wish that he had brought an appropriate cable with him, or the montor, and he claimed Dell did not allow that, etc. At least we were both smiling and friendly about it. He said that if the new cable did not work I should once again contact Dell via phone, explain what had happened, the new cable, etc. and then Dell would advise on how to proceed. Will do.

Now that I look back on his visit, I believe that even if he had brought a known-good cable with him, had that cable not solved the "no signal" issue (the signal was still lost when Win started to start), he would NOT have spent time trying to fix that issue. Again, he was there to replace the MB and if that did not fix the original issue (audio) that I had discussed the previous day with the phone-tech (the reason that he was replacing the MB), well, that was that. The "no signal" is now a different issue that is going to need a separate fix. Maybe the same tech will end up coming over to work on it! Should be interesting.

I'll look into WinRE, but because signal is lost as soon as anything windows appears, I'm not hopeful. But I'll give it a shot anyway.
post #20 of 42 Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just for the hell of it, I connected the 5060 to the Sony and repeatedly hit F8 during boot-up. Sure enough, the screen shown in the leftmost of the photos below came on. I moved the highlight to "Diagnostics" and hit enter. The Dell diagnostics test page came up and started its tests. Below are the results. All good. As soon as I exited the test the intial blue windows logo appeared. About three seconds later, just as I expected, the TV said "no signal". This time a waited about a minute and hit the "caps lock" key on the keyboard. Sure enough, the little caps-lock light came on the top of the keyboard. Therefore, I believe that after the signal loss on the TV, Windows went on to boot up normally, but in the background. I also now doubt that there is anything wrong with the adapter, but I might be wrong on that. Maybe it can only handle low-rez signals now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen after F8.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2588334   Click image for larger version

Name:	interim test results.JPG
Size:	511.5 KB
ID:	2588336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test results.JPG
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	2588338   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable result.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	2588340  
post #21 of 42 Old 07-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Most likely it lost the display driver and went into a default PC mode, e.g. either 1024x768 or 800x600. These modes probably aren't supported by your TV. You need a PC monitor to load the drivers.

Have fun play with Dell's money. First mistake, Trusted whatever Dell support said

post #22 of 42 Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

By hitting the power button, waiting for the windows logo and very soon thereafter holding the power button and powering down the unit, and repeating that twice more, on the next power-on, the computer goes into a diagnostic mode. At this point advanced settings can be accessed and one of the options is to reset the computer -- either a complete reset or saving at least some files. BTW, the Sony tells me that the video signal at this point is 640x480 @ 60 Hz.

I chose to reset with some files retained. The Sony lost signal soon thereafter, but I know that the reset continued. I waited 4 hours before shutting down the computer with the power button and starting the computer again. To be brief, the signal was lost shortly after the first windows logo appeared, as usual. So I once again accessed the diagnostic mode and this time selected the option to start up in safe mode, which the computer did. However, because I had reset, the usual windows choices (language, location, acceptance of license, etc.) appeared. What's not good is that in safe mode, one cannot successfully enter any of these choices. After each, as message appears saying that what was selected was not accepted. How nice.

When I then powered down and went back into diagnostic mode, I was confronted with the message that "windows cannot finish installation in safe mode". How nice.

So now I can't boot normally and finish installation because shortly after that windows logo appears the Sony loses signal, and it is of no use to go back into diagnostic mode because there is no selection that I know of that will get beyond that logo problem. How nice.

Again, the new cable should arrive this week. If the system behaves with the new cable as it does now, I think it might be necessary to tell bios to use a video card rather than the cpu's graphics; install the card; connect via hdmi; start the computer and hope that the video card allows windows installation. Then hopefully I can uninstall a bad driver and install some proper ones.

Anyone have an alternative?

(If I had it all to do over again, what I should have done is powered up into safe mode and corrected things BEFORE doing the reset. NOT having done that has put me in a bit of a pickle. Live and learn.)
post #23 of 42 Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Our old Dell XPS 8500 in our kitchen, which we have had in service for probably 16 hours a day for the past 6 or seven years, and is still operating perfectly, has in it a GeForce GT 620 video card. Here are its specs:
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/des...specifications

Can I, hopefully temporarily, install the 620 in the Dell 5060 in order to try to correct its windows-installation conundrum, video-signal loss after win logo, and, now that I think about it, the no-audio-5.1 situation? If the 620 does indeed allow me to do this triple-play on the Sony 900e, I'll move the 5060 downstairs, connect it to the HDMI switcher/audio-stripper and see if it will drive the RS1 and send 5.1 to the obsolete Denon.

So, again, can I install the obsolete 620 in the new-and-wonderful 5060?

Thanks.
post #24 of 42 Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did exactly as I suggested above. The 620 fits in the 5060 nicely, but only with the full-size bracket removed.

With the 620 in there, I simply hit the power button and the computer booted normally to the Windows installation pages and, in short, Windows 10 is now operating normally and all drivers are up to date. I checked sound manager and noted that 5.1 could be selected to be sent to the Sony TV and that's what I selected, knowing that I would soon be going downstairs to the HT, and hoping that that setting would be retained.

But before taking the computer downstairs into the HT, I shut down the computer, disconnected the HDMI cable, re-connected the adapter and HDMI cable to TV and hit the power button. "No signal". Therefore, I now believe that the adapter is NFG. I confirmed that the new cable will be here Wednesday.

I moved the 5060 to the HT and connected the hdmi cable from the 620 to the HDMI switcher and all the other necessary cables to the PC. I powered on the computer. After full boot, I went into the Nvidia control panel and when I hit "digital audio", I was taken to the Windows settings, where, once again with feeling, ILAFPJ was noted as the dispaly device. The Nvidia HDMI audio was the selected audio output device. I hit "configure" and sure enough, 2-channel audio was the only available option. I was disappointed, to say the least.

I decided I'd play a 1080p m2ts file via MPC HC Be. While the movie was playing I noted from "options" that Dolby DTS 5.1 was being output--- as far as MPC was concerned, anyway. I walked to each speaker and listened. All 6 speakers were emitting audio, but I'm really not sure if this was faux-5.1 or not. The sound was acceptable, if future attempts to get Windows settings to show a 5.1 option fail.

If I were to get a sound card, I have a feeling that 2-channel would still be the only option available. Therefore, I believe that an HD Fury device may be necessary to force Windows to "believe" that it is connected to say a Sony 900e rather than a JVC RS1, and thus allow 5.1 audio to be selected. Royal PIA.

One thing that my installing the 620 into the 5060 told me was that its one PCI slot available for a video card is quite close to the power supply on the fan/passive cooling side of the card. I'm near certain that I would have to buy a fan-cooled card like the 620 to have it fit. But, quite frankly, from my experience today, I do not think that I will have to buy a video card. Again, I believe that the one, and quite possibly only, solution to get 5.1 is to get that HD Fury, etc.

I'll report back after the new cable shows up.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
It was hard to find but I was able to add an optional HDMI 2.0b port for about $45 in order to play UHD movies in HDR. Call Dell and ask for the "Additional HDMI Video Port for 3060 5060 7060 XE3 SFF, Kit" The person from Dell who gave me the quote is Michele Christiansen.
post #26 of 42 Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Limjoco View Post
It was hard to find but I was able to add an optional HDMI 2.0b port for about $45 in order to play UHD movies in HDR. Call Dell and ask for the "Additional HDMI Video Port for 3060 5060 7060 XE3 SFF, Kit" The person from Dell who gave me the quote is Michele Christiansen.
Thanks for the HDMI option. I believe the part number is 325-BDCC and, as you say, the description is "Additional HDMI Video Port for 3060 5060 7060 XE3 SFF, Kit".

Did you have to remove the cpu cooler, or was it only necessary to remove the cooler fan to get to the #4 motherboard connection? Does Dell include the screws and fittings to hold the port on the back of the PC, or do you have to jury rig something?

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/opti...ual7_en-us.pdf

I think I'd like to install the kit simply because I've got so many HDMI cables!

Thanks again.

Edit: The hdmi kit would also eliminate the need for display-port-to-hdmi conversion cables/adapters which, I know from recent experience, can malfunction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	2589226  

Last edited by Herve; 07-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Did you have to remove the cpu cooler, or was it only necessary to remove the cooler fan to get to the #4 motherboard connection? Does Dell include the screws and fittings to hold the port on the back of the PC, or do you have to jury rig something?

I have an Optiplex 3060 so connector #3 for the Optional video connector - but yes it goes the connector #4 (per your attached picture of a motherboard of an Optiplex 5060 SFF) I did not not have to remove any parts to make way or jerry-rigged to install the HDMI 2.0b port - since it is a official option for the Optiplex SFF series.

B.T.W.
I also upgraded my DVD player to a HLDS BU40N Ultra Slim Internal Ultra HD Blu-Ray Optical Drive/ 9.5mm/ UHD Drive. This allowed me to play UHD Bluray Disc (the player is kinda noisy when it starts) using PowerDVD Ultra. This will only work if you are using the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630
post #28 of 42 Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have an Optiplex 3060 so connector #3 for the Optional video connector - but yes it goes the connector #4 (per your attached picture of a motherboard of an Optiplex 5060 SFF) I did not not have to remove any parts to make way or jerry-rigged to install the HDMI 2.0b port - since it is a official option for the Optiplex SFF series.

B.T.W.
I also upgraded my DVD player to a HLDS BU40N Ultra Slim Internal Ultra HD Blu-Ray Optical Drive/ 9.5mm/ UHD Drive. This allowed me to play UHD Bluray Disc (the player is kinda noisy when it starts) using PowerDVD Ultra. This will only work if you are using the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630
Thanks.

Can you confirm that the hdmi port that you bought from Dell was indeed part number 325-BDCC?

Thanks again.
post #29 of 42 Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Yes, 325-BDCC is the part number / Product ID for "Additional HDMI Video Port for 3060 5060 7060 XE3 SFF, Kit"
post #30 of 42 Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, 325-BDCC is the part number / Product ID for "Additional HDMI Video Port for 3060 5060 7060 XE3 SFF, Kit"
I just got off the phone with Dell. Part 325-BDCC is now supposedly an invalid part number. However, there is now part number R07CP "Assembly,Card,Input/Output,Hig h Definition Multimedia Interf ace,Slim Form Factor,D9 HDMI"

The agent sent me a photo that may not be the hdmi version, but it's supposed to look otherwise identical to the HDMI version.

Does the photo of the part that the agent sent to me, whose photo I've attached, look like the part that you installed? Frankly, I expected a different looking device, although the female plug at the end of the cable does indeed look like it will fit on the mb's male plug/pins. The HDMI end does not look to me like it's going to be correct for the knock-out opening on the back of our 5060.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hdmi.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2589534  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page