Bill hero or loser media center related poll - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Bill hero or loser media center related poll
M$ is a complete douse bag period 3 75.00%
I will never knowingly buy anything from M$ w/out MC 0 0%
I will pay twice the $ to avoid funding M$ for any SW 0 0%
greedy could have worked out the bugs in MC before releasing to public but decided not to. 0 0%
greedy has worked out deals w/ other imitation MC co.s and get more wealthy from there kickbacks than continuing w/ MC 0 0%
greedy could redeem himself as a hero w/ a new improved version of MC and I’d buy after it was proven to work or kindof work 1 25.00%
I’ll still continue to use MC even though being deprived of a guide will get the guide the old fashioned way from some TV guide off net 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By captain_video
  • 2 Post By captain_video
  • 1 Post By jazzrock
  • 1 Post By JDLIVE

post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bill hero or loser media center related poll

Bill hero or loser media center related poll for free OTA antenna bills not getting paid enough

M$ has had media center since XP/vista/win7 and I think in win8 w/ a extra cost it was extra w/ XP.
I’m thinking at win8 greedy decided there wasn’t enough interest in MC so he discontinued it.

I’ve always been provided a work PC and have had these new versions of software forced upon me.
My personal PCs I would use until I felt like downgrading, I say downgrading because that’s what it is for my personal PCs being forced to learn new terminology’s for the same functions M$ trying to make old crape look new and improved.

Example: I declined a free win10 because of no media center I consider it a downgrade.

What this loser has done is equivalent: to buying a new Cadillac CTSV w/ air conditioning
Sure this AC sys had it’s faults but was worth the aggravation of endlessly fixing it over and over.

now would you buy another Cadillac CTSV if it wasn’t available w/ AC?

Poll:
1.M$ is a complete douse bag period.

2.I will never knowingly buy anything from M$ w/out MC

3.I will pay twice the $ to avoid funding M$ for any SW.

4.greedy could have worked out the bugs in MC before releasing to public but decided not to.

5.greedy has worked out deals w/ other imitation MC co.s and get more wealthy from there kickbacks than continuing w/ MC.

6. greedy could redeem himself as a hero w/ a new improved version of MC and I’d buy after it was proven to work or kindof work.

7.I’ll still continue to use MC even though being deprived of a guide will get the guide the old fashioned way from some TV guide off net.

You can vote multiply times only manually I attempted to configure as multiple votes but it didn't save it saved as a duplicate vote because of the lag in the net. rant over

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 06-30-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4797 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Great rant. I can't believe anyone uses media center when there are better options out there.
stevethebrain and jazzrock like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

yes I admit I still use MC it kindof works,

hopfully admin will reconfigure multiple votes so far bill is a douse.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Great rant. I can't believe anyone uses media center when there are better options out there.
For cable card? What?

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

There are no better options if you record DRM content unless you want to use a Tivo or your provider's DVR. WMC works great for me. I've tried lots of other options but I keep coming back to WMC. It just plain works. I used to use BeyondTV in Windows XP for OTA TV and I was reluctant to switch to Windows 7 because BTV was great. If I ever decided to drop FIOS for TV I would seriously consider going back to BTV if I could get it to work on something besides XP, plus I don't know if you can still get guide data for it. The only reason I switched was so I could use the Ceton InfiniTV 4 with WMC to record my cable channels. I bought a tuner from the first production batch and it was the best $400 I ever spent on a TV product. Now I use an InfiniTV 6 and various SiliconDust tuners with WMC and have no intention of switching. I cut ties with Microsoft by using epg123 for my guide data so there are no more worries about data outages.
JDLIVE likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
For cable card? What?
free OTA antenna

post #7 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
yes I admit I still use MC it kindof works,

hopfully admin will reconfigure multiple votes so far bill is a douse.
Are you talking about Bill Gates? He stepped down from Microsoft in 2008 to run his foundation. Windows 7 was introduced in 2009. I have no idea what a douse is (I think you meant something different but I won't say what it is). You can blame his successors for the mess that Windows is in now. Bill Gates isn't the one that hosed things up.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this poll is as it just appears to be some way to slam Microsoft. I'm no fan of Microsoft either, but for my purposes it's the only game in town so I'm stuck with it. If you don't like their products then buy yourself an overpriced Apple product that can't be upgraded without buying an entirely new Mac (I'm talking about core components and not peripherals). You can upgrade any Windows PC by replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory or graphics card, depending on how powerful you want it to be.

Face it, Microsoft has the market share on computer operating systems for consumers whether you like them or not. There are other options out there, but they're probably not for you.
beerhunt and audit13 like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Wow , Windows 10 was released just shy of 4 years ago , and we knew WMC was being discontinued then , but this confusing poll was just put up ? Maybe you should include the fact that windows 7 EOL is set for Jan. 2020 , so those of you that have to keep using WMC on windows 7 will then be running an unpatched OS that will have some really cool security bugs . If you're going to rant against them (or Bill gates for some unknown reason) , then the security aspect should be of bigger concern unless you don't mind your computer being taken over remotely and used to mine cryptocurrency , or any and all of your personal information being stolen . I don't think not being able to record NCIS from OTA is going to matter when your CPU useage is pegged at 100% for that Lithuanian hackers botnet attack on Walmart or to encrypt all your cat videos and hold them for ransom.

How many people actually use WMC? dozens, maybe hundreds . I remember reading that it was a very small fraction of Windows users , and a percent of those who actually started it , only did so once , so Microsoft decided it wasn't worth spending the money to keep supporting it . It sucks for those who did or do use it , but do you really expect them to devote resources to something a very small fraction of their user base uses? When I heard it wasn't going to be around anymore I adjusted my system setup to stop using WMC even on my windows 7 machine . Maybe that was easier for me than some , but the groups of people who wrote to and complained to Microsoft 4 years ago didn't get them to change their minds , so I doubt a grass-roots effort on AVS now is going to have any effect.

Perhaps a thread asking for alternatives to the functions you want from WMC might have been more productive for you and whoever else is in the same boat.

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What waist of forum space this is.
audit13 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrock View Post
What waist of forum space this is.
Irony.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The total percentage of computers using Windows 7 as of December 2018 was 36.9 %. It's only natural attrition for Windows 10 to eventually take over the market since it comes with all new PCs and laptops. I suspect more users switched from Windows 8.1 to 10 than Windows 7 users did, but I haven't researched that. WMC never took off as well as Microsoft had hoped, but they have a track record of dropping products or software early on if it doesn't meet expectations. Just look what they did with Ultimate TV. The hardware was unreliable as hell but the DVR software and UI was easily much better than Tivo at the time. It didn't help that the monthly DVR fee with DirecTV was twice what they charged for a DirecTivo. That was the main reason why I stopped using mine.

The number of Windows 7 users will continue to decrease as older PCs are replaced with newer ones so I don't see the security bug as a big issue. There will be far fewer PCs running Windows 7 so it's less likely that hackers will target them as it simply won't be worth the effort. It's the only reason why Macs aren't affected by viruses and malware to the same extent that PCs running Windows are. The market share held by Mac users is just too small so it's not worth the effort for hackers to deal with them.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-02-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I've used my HD Homerun CableCard tuner and WMC on Windows 7 for many years and feel I've received tremendous value for the money I spent.

Love the notion that companies are "greedy" because they don't give things away and are trying to make a profit. That's free enterprise, man. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

I do think in looking back it's kind of strange that MS killed off WMC right about the time that products like HDHR and the Ceton tuners came out and offered an actual solution that worked and was relatively easy to set up. It seems to me there was an opportunity missed, but I don't have all the info that MS did when they made that decision.
audit13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page