Instability with Ryzen file server - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Instability with Ryzen file server

My server has been frustrating my lately. It will be unresponsive when I try to RDP in or use something that runs on it like Emby.

The hardware is
R7 1800x
B450 Tuf mAtx
16gb ddr4 3200
GTX 1050ti
Bunch of hard drives
Win 10

I run it headless so when this happens I can't go to the machine to see what's going on, I usually just hit the button to reset. But I can see that it is on, at least all the rgb is lit up.

I have also noticed lately that it has been resetting, a program that runs at startup will be open so I can tell.

All the usual stuff is fine like temps. Not even sure where to begin but getting frustrated at how unstable it is. When I had weaker intel hardware it seemed to be able to be up longer.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 514
What does event viewer show? Blue screens will be recorded in there.

And what power supply are you using? Crap power supplies are a great source of instability issues. If it came with the case or cost less than $50, it's almost guaranteed. Insufficient power may also be a cause.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
What does event viewer show? Blue screens will be recorded in there.

And what power supply are you using? Crap power supplies are a great source of instability issues. If it came with the case or cost less than $50, it's almost guaranteed. Insufficient power may also be a cause.

Honestly every time I've ever opened event viewer I don't really know where to look. A lot of different stuff going on in there.

The PSU power wise is solid. It's a 750w and got some of the highest ratings on Johhnyguru back in the day. But it is old. I don't think it's the PSU but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
I would set the RAM back to its default setting (2133 MHz) and verify the motherboard has the latest BIOS installed (to see if it becomes stable). And as suggested take a look at the Event Viewer - System looking for Error entries.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
post #5 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I would set the RAM back to its default setting (2133 MHz) and verify the motherboard has the latest BIOS installed (to see if it becomes stable). And as suggested take a look at the Event Viewer - System looking for Error entries.
The ram is not a bad idea, and honestly probably doing nothing at 3200 for this setup. I never tested it just popped in the 1800x, set it and forget it. The previous chip was a 2200g which ran the ram fine.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You want to look for messages from the kernel - especially one that refers to bug check or stop codes. It should be near messages including ones like "Windows was not properly shut down" and such. It should be near the beginning of when the computer restarted, which can be easily found when you see a bunch of messages with time stamps close together and then they suddenly spread out (which would be from before the restart)
post #7 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4630 Post(s)
Liked: 2937
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Honestly every time I've ever opened event viewer I don't really know where to look. A lot of different stuff going on in there.

The PSU power wise is solid. It's a 750w and got some of the highest ratings on Johhnyguru back in the day. But it is old. I don't think it's the PSU but you never know.

Load event viewer, go to system, then windows logs and look for red icons for errors at the time when the system rebooted, actually just before that. You can usually find the entry you're looking for easily. Ideally you can get a full bugcheck report and paste it here.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks the both of you I'll have a look when I get a chance.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Load event viewer, go to system, then windows logs and look for red icons for errors at the time when the system rebooted, actually just before that. You can usually find the entry you're looking for easily. Ideally you can get a full bugcheck report and paste it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You want to look for messages from the kernel - especially one that refers to bug check or stop codes. It should be near messages including ones like "Windows was not properly shut down" and such. It should be near the beginning of when the computer restarted, which can be easily found when you see a bunch of messages with time stamps close together and then they suddenly spread out (which would be from before the restart)
I see some errors where the source is DistributedCOM. Not much info about it.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't look for just errors, as they are of all types. Just sort by time - the kernel messages are near when it restarts.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Don't look at event viewer if you don't know what you are looking at. It is very discouraging to find out so many errors in there (the DCOM one is very common) that even a perfectly working system will have The real hardware problem, which is probably what your system suffers from, is rarely captured in even viewer.

I'd start with making sure the CPU fan and heat sink are properly seated and in good working condition to rule out overheat problem.

Then, try a different pair of RAM sticks, not just slow it down which doesn't do much good if the RAM sticks go bad.

Then, I'd swap out the power supply.

These are most common causes for your problem. Unfortunately, until you actually swap those components, there is no way to diagnose them.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 07-14-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The real hardware problem, which is probably what your system suffers from, is rarely captured in even viewer.
Unfortunately, until you actually swap those components, there is no way to diagnose them.
I agree it often won't spell out the root cause (although at times it will) however it will often lead you in a direction of such. As an example I keep having crashes that were video related and was pretty much convinced it was the video card. Looking at the viewer I also saw other errors and eventually came around to being a RAM/bus issue (using 8 sticks above x speed).

Regarding diagnosing issues sure you can without swapping components. Such as Windows built-in Memory Diagnostics (mdsched.exe). Set your RAM one speed and let it do its thing... set it to another speed and test again. If you want to check for hardware overheating HWiNFO64 (free) will instantly provide you the details. There are plenty of available tools...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |

Last edited by Charles R; 07-14-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Its really infrequent, I doubt its a major hardware issue honestly. I guess it could be windows updates I seem to have seen a few restarts needed on my main machine. Win 10 seems harder to turn off mandatory reboots.
post #14 of 18 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I'd start with making sure the CPU fan and heat sink are properly seated and in good working condition to rule out overheat problem.
I think this is along the right direction. How old is this system, you mentioned the PS being old, is the whole build old?

Usually when I see these random lock-ups and such it is due to the thermal paste being old and brittle. My mom called me a couple of weeks ago with the same complaint, she got someone to clean it up and apply new paste and it's been fine since.
post #15 of 18 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I think this is along the right direction. How old is this system, you mentioned the PS being old, is the whole build old?

Usually when I see these random lock-ups and such it is due to the thermal paste being old and brittle.
Being an 1800X it's not (relatively) old by any means. Plus nowadays CPUs will heavily throttle (especially AMD and even more so when Cool'n'Quiet is enabled in the BIOS) when temperatures rise above x. Also Hardware Info (linked above) will more than tell you the temperature story...

post #16 of 18 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Yeah, I saw your comments about temps, but it's still something I watch out for. Old habits you know.
post #17 of 18 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Yeah, I saw your comments about temps, but it's still something I watch out for. Old habits you know.
I understand! I still remember an old Dell I started using as my desktop and the CPU fan was rather loud... I figured what the heck I'll unplug the fan. After a few lockups/power offs I learned a lesson. Even better than "old paste" is leaving the protective plastic on your CPU water block during installation. Luckily I checked temps right away and only figured it out when I was redoing the paste.

post #18 of 18 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No I got the Mobo and RAM during Black Friday and the CPU in May. The system does sit in my garage and it gets warm sometimes. But I've never seen the temps too high.

It hasn't happened for a while now I'll keep an eye on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page