AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Getting passthrough audio from second HDMI port (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/3079546-getting-passthrough-audio-second-hdmi-port.html)

Redhawk2000 07-19-2019 09:19 AM

Getting passthrough audio from second HDMI port

I'm trying to get both madVR video and lossless audio.

My receiver (Onkyo TX-NR646) supposedly supports HDR passthrough, but doesn't for my HTPC for some reason, though my firestick works just fine.

So to get video, I am currently running video with madVR successfully with MPC-BE directly to my TV (LG C9) and the video looks great.

Since my receiver doesn't support eARC (even though my TV does) I'm trying to run a secondary HDMI cable from my onboard graphics to my reciever.

I can indeed get audio this way that is in sync with the video to the TV. The problem is that within MPC-BE (or even MPC-HC) I can't get the option of HD audio for that HDMI output (it says Intel Display Audio) so I only get either 2.0 audio or I can have (in MPC-BE) apparently encode it to lossy 5.1 dolby or lossy atmos (Atmos/DD+).

BUT, in Kodi I am able to choose the audio as WASAPI for that audio output which does give me actual passthrough audio (Atmos/TrueHD).

So here's my question, is there a way to make MPC (either one) to use WASAPI for a secondary HDMI if Kodi is able to do it. Maybe with an external filter or something? (LAV hasn't seemed to help)

Not a huge deal. If I can't I'd rather use the madVR and have the lossy atmos because it still sounds quite good, but if I could have both I would. And if I see a Denon 3500 under $500 new soon I'll probably just buy that and this will be moot...unless I could fix this and keep this receiver.

JeffR1 07-19-2019 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm...
I use one of my "display ports" for audio and an HDMI/DP adapter.
I have it connected to my old Denon receiver that doesn't support HDR or 4K resolution _ no Dolby Atmos either.

I configure sound in the Windows Control Panel not so much from MPC-BE.
Although in it's settings you have to tick off the boxes for the various sound outputs like DTS for example.

The boxes under HDMI pass through have to be ticked off.

Redhawk2000 07-19-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR1 (Post 58315466)
Hmmm...
I use one of my "display ports" for audio and an HDMI/DP adapter.
I have it connected to my old Denon receiver that doesn't support HDR or 4K resolution _ no Dolby Atmos either.

I configure sound in the Windows Control Panel not so much from MPC-BE.
Although in it's settings you have to tick off the boxes for the various sound outputs like DTS for example.

The boxes under HDMI pass through have to be ticked off.

I have 3 display ports available on my gpu. But you are actually getting passthrough audio of some formats? I guess if it doesn't support Atmos, you wouldn't be able to comment on that. If so, do you happen to have anything in FLAC and know if it gets passed through as LPCM? I have a bunch of movies with FLAC is why I'm wondering.

Do you know if it is a "passive" or "active" adapter?

JeffR1 07-19-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redhawk2000 (Post 58315768)
I have 3 display ports available on my gpu. But you are actually getting passthrough audio of some formats? I guess if it doesn't support Atmos, you wouldn't be able to comment on that. If so, do you happen to have anything in FLAC and know if it gets passed through as LPCM? I have a bunch of movies with FLAC is why I'm wondering.

Do you know if it is a "passive" or "active" adapter?

By passive, I'm assuming you mean that it doesn't plug into the wall, it's not like an HDMI splitter.
I'm getting pass though for DTS-HD and Dolby, but no Atmos off course, but in "Sound" in the control panel it's listed under supported formats, but I can't enable it though.
It shows either DTS-HD or Dolby on the Denon AVR.
Sometimes MPC-BE doesn't always pick the right audio track either, sometimes it picks stereo, so I simply go in and enable the correct one.

rekbones 07-20-2019 12:09 AM

You might want to try KODI w/DSplayer as it runs with MadVR and supports WASAPI. I think I am running v17 as v18 that has HDR to SDR tone mapping built in runs very poorly with excessive frame drops on my system. My issue is my 4K projector doesn't support HDR so I need MadVR's HDR to SDR tone mapping.