Getting passthrough audio from second HDMI port - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffR1
  • 1 Post By JeffR1
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Getting passthrough audio from second HDMI port

I'm trying to get both madVR video and lossless audio.

My receiver (Onkyo TX-NR646) supposedly supports HDR passthrough, but doesn't for my HTPC for some reason, though my firestick works just fine.

So to get video, I am currently running video with madVR successfully with MPC-BE directly to my TV (LG C9) and the video looks great.

Since my receiver doesn't support eARC (even though my TV does) I'm trying to run a secondary HDMI cable from my onboard graphics to my reciever.

I can indeed get audio this way that is in sync with the video to the TV. The problem is that within MPC-BE (or even MPC-HC) I can't get the option of HD audio for that HDMI output (it says Intel Display Audio) so I only get either 2.0 audio or I can have (in MPC-BE) apparently encode it to lossy 5.1 dolby or lossy atmos (Atmos/DD+).

BUT, in Kodi I am able to choose the audio as WASAPI for that audio output which does give me actual passthrough audio (Atmos/TrueHD).

So here's my question, is there a way to make MPC (either one) to use WASAPI for a secondary HDMI if Kodi is able to do it. Maybe with an external filter or something? (LAV hasn't seemed to help)

Not a huge deal. If I can't I'd rather use the madVR and have the lossy atmos because it still sounds quite good, but if I could have both I would. And if I see a Denon 3500 under $500 new soon I'll probably just buy that and this will be moot...unless I could fix this and keep this receiver.

LG C9 77"
NVIDIA 1660ti
Yamaha RX-V2085
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Hmmm...
I use one of my "display ports" for audio and an HDMI/DP adapter.
I have it connected to my old Denon receiver that doesn't support HDR or 4K resolution _ no Dolby Atmos either.

I configure sound in the Windows Control Panel not so much from MPC-BE.
Although in it's settings you have to tick off the boxes for the various sound outputs like DTS for example.

The boxes under HDMI pass through have to be ticked off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTS.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2592572  
Redhawk2000 likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 07-19-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Hmmm...
I use one of my "display ports" for audio and an HDMI/DP adapter.
I have it connected to my old Denon receiver that doesn't support HDR or 4K resolution _ no Dolby Atmos either.

I configure sound in the Windows Control Panel not so much from MPC-BE.
Although in it's settings you have to tick off the boxes for the various sound outputs like DTS for example.

The boxes under HDMI pass through have to be ticked off.

I have 3 display ports available on my gpu. But you are actually getting passthrough audio of some formats? I guess if it doesn't support Atmos, you wouldn't be able to comment on that. If so, do you happen to have anything in FLAC and know if it gets passed through as LPCM? I have a bunch of movies with FLAC is why I'm wondering.

Do you know if it is a "passive" or "active" adapter?

LG C9 77"
NVIDIA 1660ti
Yamaha RX-V2085
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk2000 View Post
I have 3 display ports available on my gpu. But you are actually getting passthrough audio of some formats? I guess if it doesn't support Atmos, you wouldn't be able to comment on that. If so, do you happen to have anything in FLAC and know if it gets passed through as LPCM? I have a bunch of movies with FLAC is why I'm wondering.

Do you know if it is a "passive" or "active" adapter?
By passive, I'm assuming you mean that it doesn't plug into the wall, it's not like an HDMI splitter.
I'm getting pass though for DTS-HD and Dolby, but no Atmos off course, but in "Sound" in the control panel it's listed under supported formats, but I can't enable it though.
It shows either DTS-HD or Dolby on the Denon AVR.
Sometimes MPC-BE doesn't always pick the right audio track either, sometimes it picks stereo, so I simply go in and enable the correct one.
Redhawk2000 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 547
You might want to try KODI w/DSplayer as it runs with MadVR and supports WASAPI. I think I am running v17 as v18 that has HDR to SDR tone mapping built in runs very poorly with excessive frame drops on my system. My issue is my 4K projector doesn't support HDR so I need MadVR's HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Redhawk2000 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page