• 1 Post By sd_smoker

post #1 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Anti-Virus protection ?

I’m running Windows 7 with WMC. I was using Avast Free for anti-virus protection, but some time ago it started getting intrusive with too many messages. So I dropped back to using Windows Defender.

With Windows 7 support soon ending, Defender won’t get updates. I recall years ago a lot of people were using Defender. Is there any consensus of opinion regarding a replacement?

While I don’t use the HTPC for web browsing, sometimes I do connect to CBS.com, TNT.com, etc to watch a program & would like to have some protection. I have Malwarebytes but would also like something that offers real time protection.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I use Chromebooks. Anti virus and malware protection are not needed at all.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #3 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sophos protection is pretty good and even free version has no popups whatsoever. The paid version gives you more protection, but in your instance, free is fine. Plus you can install/manage it on 10 devices.
https://home.sophos.com
Mike99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
Wow does your Chromebook have WMC? I didn't think so.....
markmon1 likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
I’m running Windows 7 with WMC. I was using Avast Free for anti-virus protection, but some time ago it started getting intrusive with too many messages. So I dropped back to using Windows Defender.

With Windows 7 support soon ending, Defender won’t get updates. I recall years ago a lot of people were using Defender. Is there any consensus of opinion regarding a replacement?

While I don’t use the HTPC for web browsing, sometimes I do connect to CBS.com, TNT.com, etc to watch a program & would like to have some protection. I have Malwarebytes but would also like something that offers real time protection.

Thanks
I would suggest Panda Anti-Virus it's one of the few free antivirus solutions that doesn't inundate you with constant annoying BUY ME NOW messages. It is also one of the better rated ones too. If you want to be additionally secure I'd suggest adding Comodo Firewall to the mix as wel

---as to the guy who said Chromebook does not need anti-virus protection is a fool. It is a *nix based operating system, though there may not be as many Virus' in the wild, they surely do exist. People said the same thing about Android, Mac OSX, and IOS, yet today all three are constantly reporting apps that have viruses.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcLain View Post

He doesn't need WMC to connect to the websites that the OP mentioned, which was the reason why he is looking for an AV solution. WMC isn't even part of the conversation.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
He doesn't need WMC to connect to the websites that the OP mentioned, which was the reason why he is looking for an AV solution. WMC isn't even part of the conversation.
He's using the same machine to connect to those websites as the one with WMC. How is a Chromebook part of that conversation?
post #8 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Thanks

So I don't use WMC but there be might be a way to use W7, keep WMC and not worry too much about viruses. This would depend on how much you use WMC, your CPU and technical skills with PCs.

Switch to a Linux Distro and put your W7 install into a VM on that machine. Linux is a lot safer than any Windows version (I've seen notice of 2 viruses since switching to Linux Mint. Both of those were not relevant to me and my install), if you pick the right version (ie not Intel's Clear or Unbuntu) there's pretty much no snooping happening (remembering to toggle that off in FF) and your machine will run just as good, if not better, than it did before.

I will not use W10, so Linux was my next stop and my Gen 3 I7 had the VM option. Plus I could take a snapshot of my W7 VM install and blow that away should it acquire a nasty.

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #9 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
He's using the same machine to connect to those websites as the one with WMC. How is a Chromebook part of that conversation?
Clearly it was just being offered as an alternative solution to connect to websites without the need to use an AV program. It's not the answer the OP was looking for, but there it is.

As for AV programs, I think most of the free ones will do what you want. I would avoid ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky simply because they can interfere with WMC and cause problems. They're both great AV programs otherwise.
Mike99 likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Clearly it was just being offered as an alternative solution to connect to websites without the need to use an AV program. It's not the answer the OP was looking for, but there it is.

As for AV programs, I think most of the free ones will do what you want. I would avoid ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky simply because they can interfere with WMC and cause problems. They're both great AV programs otherwise.
What would be best is if Microsoft would have supported Media Center under Windows 10. Then he could just upgrade to the later operating system.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
AFAIK, pretty much every player in the consumer security software market is dropping or has dropped support for systems that pre-date Windows 8 and their software won't work properly on older systems,if it even installs. Enterprise A-V might continue support for a little bit longer, but I wouldn't count on anything past 2021.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's been awhile, but I was really happy with Bitdefender Free after switching from Avast for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mike99 likes this.

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Dayton B652-AIR/C452-AIR L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | Dayton Sub-1200 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #13 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've been using only MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for years now. I was using Avast, but it became bloated and started causing performance issues (many years ago), so I switched to MSE and never looked back. Whether or not it still gets updated after official Win7 supports ends I don't know. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

In any case, my WMC machine isn't used to access the internet.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what WMC is and since I have been using Chromebooks for seven years and I have never needed it then it doesn't matter to me.

LG OLED55C6P
post #15 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How would I use a Chromebook as an HTPC that lets me record TV programs????
post #16 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I use WMC (Windows Medis Center) all the time in order to record TV programs.

I was going to add MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) but thought why not use a third party anti-virus since that’s what going to be needed anyway in a few months.

I use Norton on my desktop PC & could add it onto the HTPC. It does have popup messages every so often which are not an issue with the PC. However sometimes it says a performance scan or something to that effect has just been completed & I don’t know if that would affect a recording in progress.

It looks like others have also stopped using Avast.

Biutdefender gets good reviews. I tried the paid version several years ago on my PC & it updated 6-10 times a day and the PC would lock up when this was happening, so I removed it. I haven’t heard about such issues lately & might try the free version.

Thanks for all the comments & suggestions.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
How would I use a Chromebook as an HTPC that lets me record TV programs????
If you use YouTubeTV they automatically record anything you want with unlimited space. No need to buy a big hard drive.

LG OLED55C6P
post #18 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
If you are just connecting to websites through Chrome and not running unknown software from random websites, an ad blocker is what you really need on that machine. Most infections these days are coming in from software you get tricked into running, or malicious ads that either run stuff without you knowing, or, again, trick you into running it. An ad blocker will prevent most of those situations. I recommend uBlock Origin.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 3483 Post(s)
Liked: 1966
I pay for comcast/xfinity and it comes with free norton av for 5 pc's I think. https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...security-suite

I think its usa law for major internet providers to give free av

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #20 of 23 Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you use YouTubeTV they automatically record anything you want with unlimited space. No need to buy a big hard drive.

YouTubeTV doesn't have some of the channels I watch & I use satellite. The HTPC is for OTA recording in case all the satellite tuners are in use.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
YouTubeTV doesn't have some of the channels I watch & I use satellite. The HTPC is for OTA recording in case all the satellite tuners are in use.
Well then don't get a Chromebook. I don't care.

LG OLED55C6P
post #22 of 23 Old 08-24-2019, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well then don't get a Chromebook. I don't care.

I have a Chromebook & it's great. But it doesn't cut it as an HTPC.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I have always used AVGfree. It does have a few popups a few times a month. I find the ISP provided Norton to be a resource hog as was Avast. But I also suspect Win7 most likely will be unsupported soon but I could be wrong. I finally gave up on Win7 and WMC but it is sorely missed. I would think who ever owns the rights to WMC could release a standalone version and make a lot of $ but if it's Microsoft they have so much money they couldn't care less and it would only be a drop in their bottomless pockets.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page