Windows 10 - Computer only doing PCM/multichannel pcm all of a sudden. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Windows 10 - Computer only doing PCM/multichannel pcm all of a sudden.

Last 3-4 days I been watching a ton of movies started Gears 5 atmos.

Today I am only getting PCM on everything whether its VLC or gears 5. No idea whats going on I've tried dts/dts-x/atmos nothing reconfingured settings in sound like 8 times. Before it didn't matter what I left it on VLC would still output - whether I left on stereo/5.1/atmos whatever - now its just PCM matching what I leave it as. Reset receiver/ reinstalled nvidia driver/ etc. Its working fine on fire stick.

Its almost like everything that was "pass- thru?" just stopped working.

Last edited by eqzitara; 09-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Last 3-4 days I been watching a ton of movies started Gears 5 atmos.

Today I am only getting PCM on everything whether its VLC or gears 5. No idea whats going on I've tried dts/dts-x/atmos nothing reconfingured settings in sound like 8 times. Before it didn't matter what I left it on VLC would still output - whether I left on stereo/5.1/atmos whatever - now its just PCM matching what I leave it as. Reset receiver/ reinstalled nvidia driver/ etc. Its working fine on fire stick.

Its almost like everything that was "pass- thru?" just stopped working.
Reformatting entirely was only thing that worked for me. Just an fyi.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Try running a repair on the audio driver. Win10 audio crashes constantly on almost every reboot/update and I need to repair or reboot the HDMI drivers almost once a week.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqzitara View Post
Reformatting entirely was only thing that worked for me. Just an fyi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Try running a repair on the audio driver. Win10 audio crashes constantly on almost every reboot/update and I need to repair or reboot the HDMI drivers almost once a week.
No offense, but man you guys might need to learn how to work these devices a little better. You never need to reformat the hdd and reinstall windows to fix a problem nor does Windows 10 audio constantly crash. Not trying to be a jerk here but you never learn anything just wiping stuff out and redoing it. Once you understand the actual problem the fix is usually relatively simple and easy.

Eqzitara, I assume you don't need help and you solved your problem by formatting your hdd?

Rekbones, if you care to elaborate, there's probably a lot better solutions for your situation also.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
No offense, but man you guys might need to learn how to work these devices a little better. You never need to reformat the hdd and reinstall windows to fix a problem nor does Windows 10 audio constantly crash. Not trying to be a jerk here but you never learn anything just wiping stuff out and redoing it. Once you understand the actual problem the fix is usually relatively simple and easy.

Eqzitara, I assume you don't need help and you solved your problem by formatting your hdd?

Rekbones, if you care to elaborate, there's probably a lot better solutions for your situation also.
I suspect most of my issues are I am running hardware predating Win10. AMD Phenom II with a AM3 mother board. I am more of a hardware guy but have been in IT for 40 years and am not new at this. Win7 on this hardware never gave me all these issues. Win10 drivers for older hardware are poorly supported. I am not alone with people having audio issues with drivers. If you have any suggestions I am all ears. The NIC driver crashes on most reboots also and must be restarted and it is the latest available driver.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I suspect most of my issues are I am running hardware predating Win10. AMD Phenom II with a AM3 mother board. I am more of a hardware guy but have been in IT for 40 years and am not new at this. Win7 on this hardware never gave me all these issues. Win10 drivers for older hardware are poorly supported. I am not alone with people having audio issues with drivers. If you have any suggestions I am all ears. The NIC driver crashes on most reboots also and must be restarted and it is the latest available driver.
Yea, I wouldn't consider those Win10 problems then. I think a lot of AMD systems are just pretty unstable.

But, when you have more than one problem like this, I'd start thinking it is some hardware problem. Have you swapped out your RAM (or removed one stick at a time)?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea, I wouldn't consider those Win10 problems then. I think a lot of AMD systems are just pretty unstable.

But, when you have more than one problem like this, I'd start thinking it is some hardware problem. Have you swapped out your RAM (or removed one stick at a time)?
I doubt it is any defective hardware issue. I had the NIC issue from day one when I switched from Win7 to 10 and back to win7 no issue but now running win10 it came back. The audio issue only started from the latest big Win10 update before that no issue at all. This AMD Phenom II is faster then my new work T480 thinkpad laptop with the latest I7 so I hate to have to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page