changing channels frequency=different # Montgomery,AL - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bryansj
  • 1 Post By captain_video
  • 1 Post By Kelson

post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 25
changing channels frequency=different # Montgomery,AL

No OTA free antenna CBS/FOX before an after rescan Montgomery,AL

People that live in Montgomery,AL have a choice to watch a couple channels my case is watch NBC,FOX however antenna readjusting is required to watch either CBS & ABC then there’s no NBC,FOX reception.

My antenna is located in the attic so readjusting isn’t an option.

CBS has known about the crappie reception for years they have been threatening a reconfiguration after 3PM on September 6. to a different frequency.

on September 8, I rescanned main TV over a dozen times PCs three tuners are being recognized, still only 2 stations come in.

my secondary TV (just regular TV so no pause replay of live show) doe’s the same thing choose 2 stations.

Edit: everytime I did the rescan W7MC could find a bunch of new channels from selma a city 100 miles away, where you can watch. no signal. Then the message would say can’t find any new data so we will use the old data I believe the old data is the problem however all the channel #s are the same #.

First day of NFL I’m scrambling around rescanning the main TV w/ no joy.

So now I’m forced to turn on the low definition Magnavox DVR all channels come in on it w/ same old channel #s , and yes it's been rescanned.
thanks for advice STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 791
You really shouldn't have to adjust the antenna. They are moving frequencies, not their physical transmitter location. Also, the Sept 6 date was pushed to the 11th in many places due to the hurricane.

Not sure why your Magnavox still works and your Haupague does not. I guess in WMC it won't see the new channels until the EPG is updated.
stevethebrain likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Sounds like you need a more omni-directional antenna that will allow you to receive channels from a broader viewpoint. Either that or get two directional antennas and aim them at the two different locations that give you the best signal for that group of channels. Just join the output of each antenna with a coax splitter/combiner into a single coax to feed your tuners. Putting them on your roof will give you better reception and you should be allowed to do that even if you have a homeowner's association that tries to tell you otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
You would be better off posting in the Local HDTV Info and Reception thread for Montgomery, AL - HDTV.
Here's the link.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...7&goto=newpost

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
You really shouldn't have to adjust the antenna. They are moving frequencies, not their physical transmitter location. Also, the Sept 6 date was pushed to the 11th in many places due to the hurricane. Montgomery was unaffected w/ the storm.

Not sure why your Magnavox still works and your Hauppauge does not.actually the Hauppauge doe's work but only the couple channels I guess in WMC it won't see the new channels until the EPG is updated.
I'll be rescanning after 3PM and report back thanks for excellent advice STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Sounds like you need a more omni-directional antenna that will allow you to receive channels from a broader viewpoint. Either that or get two directional antennas and aim them at the two different locations that give you the best signal for that group of channels. Just join the output of each antenna with a coax splitter/combiner into a single coax to feed your tuners. Putting them on your roof will give you better reception and you should be allowed to do that even if you have a homeowner's association that tries to tell you otherwise.
yes you are correct as usual since the digital age was started I've had reception issues.

the problem is I'm located in the center of city and the TV stations surround the city are located in different areas.

I have been up in the attic many times w/ all sorts of different antennas so I kindof know where to aim it;s either slitely east or west I've also learned to use the magnavoxs signal strength meter.

when a city is designed/engineered it's basically the streets create a grid of north/south east west

my double bowtie coathanger wire homemade works the best. I need to make another.

edit: about a year ago I bought a el cheapo chinese signal enhancer (got the idea from the magnavox it has a 3DB gain which isn't very big but just right) it seamed to solve the reception maybe this amplifier has worn out.
STB

post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Are you in a single family home or an apartment? Are you surrounded by lots of trees or tall buildings? Are you able to mount the antenna outdoors on the roof or possibly on a tall mast somewhere on your property? Mounting an antenna in the attic can severely limit your reception as the signal will be greatly attenuated. You'll get the best signal by mounting it outdoors with no obstructions between the antenna and the broadcast towers. There are lots of amplified omni-directional antennas on the market for about $100 or less that should work for your situation, but with the caveats I already mentioned. Setting up an antenna for digital TV isn't difficult. It's not like the old days when you had to use an antenna rotor to line up the antenna with a broadcast tower to get the best reception. With digital you basically either get it or you don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page