What happened to FlexRaid??? I guess I need an alternative... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 09-15-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What happened to FlexRaid??? I guess I need an alternative...

I have been running a Windows 2011 server for years and used Flexraid for Parity and pooling. I recently moved and my server was out of commission for a year. I decided to rebuild it into a desktop PC and just run my drives in Windows 10 that will serve the network. Mostly for just streaming media via Plex and/or direct to my HTPC. I can't even download Flexraid anymore and my old download will not activate. Site is down (indefinitely)???

What are my options now for Parity Raid and Pooling on top of Windows 10? Simplicity and low cost would be nice. I can however do command lines and setup if there is an easy to follow tutorial out there somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Check out unRAID. The OS is included and boots from a flash drive. No need to worry about drivers or Windows updates. You'd have to reformat your drives to either reiserfs or xfs (preferred) but it's not difficult although it can be a little slow and tedious depending on how many drives you have. You can have up to two parity drives and multiple cache drives. I tried FlexRAID for a while and went back to using unRAID. Been using unRAID for over ten years and I love it. They have a huge support community and forum with tons of add-ons and apps. I can't recommend it enough.
post #3 of 46 Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Check out unRAID. The OS is included and boots from a flash drive. No need to worry about drivers or Windows updates. You'd have to reformat your drives to either reiserfs or xfs (preferred) but it's not difficult although it can be a little slow and tedious depending on how many drives you have. You can have up to two parity drives and multiple cache drives. I tried FlexRAID for a while and went back to using unRAID. Been using unRAID for over ten years and I love it. They have a huge support community and forum with tons of add-ons and apps. I can't recommend it enough.
If I was still going to use the system as a dedicated server I would consider that option. I however did a rebuild and will use the system as a workstation and also double as a media server. So I need to have the Raid run on Windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Flexraid is pretty much dead software. The developer has been inconsistent as far as support and some major bugs have gone unresolved for years. It looks like he is on another hiatus and may have permanently abandoned the application this time.

Check out SnapRAID. It's free but does not have a pretty interface. It runs from a command line and you have to build a config file. Not difficult but time consuming if you want to read the docs to understand what you are doing. Like Flexraid, SnapRAID uses snapshot RAID; the array disks are independent NTFS volumes; you can start with data on the drives and add drives at will; multiple parity disks are supported.

I have 2 criticisms:
1) The HDD SMART tools work fine for SATA/eSATA attached array drives but I have never been able to get it to work for USB attached array drives.
2) It is not very fast. I started with an 8 disk array containing 13TB of video files and it took 50hr to build the dual parity disks.

The unRAID system mentioned above is nice -- but only if you are willing to devote the server to being a storage system. In my case, my server is not only running the disk farm but also a Plex server, a Mezzmo DLNA server and a TiVo transfer server. These all run under Win-10, hence my server runs Win-10 which means I'm stuck with SnapRAID.

This link gives a comparison of soft RAID solutions. Keep in mind that Flexraid is dead.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 791
You can use unRAID as a workstation. Just watch a Linus Tech Tips video... he does like 8 workstations from one unRAID box. You just have to pass through a video card to a Windows virtual machine running on unRAID.

post #6 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I run the Plex docker on my unRAID server for my Nvidia Shields. There are countless apps and configurations for unRAID. It's not just a server platform. It's pretty much all I use it for, but there's so much more to it. You can pick up an older used PC dirt cheap and set it up with unRAID. You can buy used Supermicro servers on ebay for only a few hundred dollars that already come with the motherboard, CPU, and memory. Just add hard drives and plug in your pre-configured flash drive with the unRAID software. You can get a free version that will work with one parity drive and two data drives so you can play around with it and see if you like it. They have different licenses available depending on how many drives you need to support in the array.

https://forums.unraid.net/
post #7 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM

I use Linux all the time. I'm using it now to access AVS Forum. Having said that, I can say that in my case I cannot configure a Linux installation to run all the PC-based server apps that I have running on my Win-10 server.

But even if I could, I probably wouldn't use unRAID. For video storage, snapshot RAID under the free snapRAID is completely adequate. It only runs on-demand, when I need to build parity for infrequently added new files. When it is not running, I power down the enclosure containing the parity drives. The continuous RAID offered by unRAID is just not needed for a video server.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I use Linux all the time. I'm using it now to access AVS Forum. Having said that, I can say that in my case I cannot configure a Linux installation to run all the PC-based server apps that I have running on my Win-10 server.

But even if I could, I probably wouldn't use unRAID. For video storage, snapshot RAID under the free snapRAID is completely adequate. It only runs on-demand, when I need to build parity for infrequently added new files. When it is not running, I power down the enclosure containing the parity drives. The continuous RAID offered by unRAID is just not needed for a video server.
Nobody says you have to keep an unRAID server running 24/7. You can power it off using the web GUI on any PC connected to your home network. I use mine primarily as a video server, but I also use it for music, movies, home movies, 4k movies, music videos, archived TV shows, photos, ebooks and a Plex server so I keep mine on all the time. I have been using it for so long that I honestly can't imagine any reason not to have it. Upgrading to the latest version is as easy as it gets. Just click on a link when notified of an update and let it install. Reboot and you're up and running with the latest version. Plex gets updated almost on a weekly basis and there are new apps every week. I'd be willing to bet that for every app you have running on your Win 10 server there is probably a similar version configured for use with unRAID. You just click on the app in the Community Applications tab in unRAID to install it.

If SnapRAID does what you want then there's no need to switch to unRAID. I had never heard of SnapRAID or FlexRAID before I tried unRAID and I haven't seen anything about the other server apps that would convince me to switch. The FlexRAID developer was here in this forum a while ago hawking a new server app, but he was a bit of an egotistical douche so he had the opposite effect that he intended and turned a lot of people off. I'm not surprised that FlexRAID died with him at the helm. I actually purchased a FlexRAID license several years ago and tried it briefly. I had issues converting my drives to NTFS for some reason so I switched back to unRAID and couldn't be happier. I don't recall what the exact issue was as it was quite some time ago. I have heard good things about SnapRAID even though I have never tried it myself.

After dealing with so many different Windows machines over the years it's refreshing to have one machine that just plain runs with little or no maintenance required. There's no need to install the OS and then deal with countless updates to make it current plus installing drivers for all of the hardware. I've lost days, if not weeks, installing Windows on numerous PCs over the years and then dealing with drivers and updates. You create a bootable flash drive (you need a compatible drive specified by Lime Technology), copy the unRAID files to it along with the license key and then plug it in. Configure the motherboard to boot from the flash drive and you're up and running. Connect to the server via the web GUI and assign the drives as parity, data, or cache drives and then start the array. Parity gets built on the fly as you copy files to the server. It literally doesn't get any easier than that. You can buy a flash drive with the unRAID OS already on it directly from Lime Technology with the license key already installed. The cost for the unRAID Pro license vs. a Windows 10 key plus a drive to install it on is pretty much a wash. The real benefit is the convenience and reliability plus it frees up a SATA port for an additional data, parity, or cache drive.
post #9 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I setup Snapraid today. The config file was fairly easy with a little instruction/tutorial. I do want to know how to automate the sync and scrubs automatically? Any scripts available to do this automatically so I don't have to run PowerShell every time I add a movie or music to the drive?
post #10 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam View Post
I setup Snapraid today. The config file was fairly easy with a little instruction/tutorial. I do want to know how to automate the sync and scrubs automatically? Any scripts available to do this automatically so I don't have to run PowerShell every time I add a movie or music to the drive?
I have snapRAID installed in a directory on my C: drive -- c:\snapraid
I have a simple batch file on the server desktop to switch to the \snapraid directory and then run the command -- snapraid sync.
I just run it periodically after adding content to the server.

If you want to automate running the sync and scrub, just use the Windows scheduler to set up a schedule for running it.

- kelson h

post #11 of 46 Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I have snapRAID installed in a directory on my C: drive -- c:\snapraid
I have a simple batch file on the server desktop to switch to the \snapraid directory and then run the command -- snapraid sync.
I just run it periodically after adding content to the server.

If you want to automate running the sync and scrub, just use the Windows scheduler to set up a schedule for running it.
Makes sense I can probably figure out how to do that.

Does snapraid have any kind of notification system in place that lets you know if sync was successful? How would you know if a drive went bad if you don't access all of them constantly? Since I have mostly movies I may not access some of the drives in a long time.
post #12 of 46 Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Does snapraid have any kind of notification system in place that lets you know if sync was successful? How would you know if a drive went bad if you don't access all of them constantly? Since I have mostly movies I may not access some of the drives in a long time.
To access Windows Task Scheduler, rt-click on the My Computer icon and select" Manage".

SnapRAID gives you all kinds of feedback as it runs in the command window.
Make sure to put a "Pause" command after the "snapraid sync" command in the batch file so the command window stays open after the sync completes and you can read the window.

During a sync operation, all the drives appear to get "touched" and some scrubbing goes on? -- Not sure. However, if your drives are connected through SATA/eSATA, the command "snapraid smart" will give you a report that includes a probability of failure -- it runs SMARTMONTOOLS. I had a pair of 6yr old HDD's in the array that reported a 99% chance of failure. I honestly didn't believe it until they both failed in a 2 week period. Unfortunately, SMARTMONTOOLS doesn't handle USB attached HDD's well. I've never been able to get it to work on my USB enclosure. There are a bunch of alternative SMART monitoring utilities out there but most have trouble handling USB attached drives and getting SMART data across the USB-SATA bridge.

- kelson h

post #13 of 46 Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Snapraid works really well with Drive Pool, you will see all of your drives (or you can create multiple pools) as one volume in windows. The software will balance the data across multiple drives. It is stored only on a single drive so all the data is retrievable should you pull a drive.

For me once I outgrew one drive for my "movies" folder it became a pain to search through different disks when needing to access the actual files.
https://stablebit.com/DrivePool

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #14 of 46 Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Snapraid works really well with Drive Pool, you will see all of your drives (or you can create multiple pools) as one volume in windows. The software will balance the data across multiple drives. It is stored only on a single drive so all the data is retrievable should you pull a drive.

For me once I outgrew one drive for my "movies" folder it became a pain to search through different disks when needing to access the actual files.
https://stablebit.com/DrivePool
UnRAID does the same thing with shares and it doesn't cost you extra. You set up a shared folder and it is automatically created across all drives unless you exclude certain drives from the share. A single drive can contain multiple shares. You don't have to dedicate an entire drive to a specific type of files or media and you can set up as many shares as you want. You map the share folder just like you would any single drive. When you open the share you see every file included in the share no matter which drives they're physically located on. You can do anything you like with the data in a share as if you were accessing the actual drive where it's being stored. There's no need to directly access a single drive to find the data you want.

When you copy any new data to a share, unRAID automatically places it on the drive with the most available storage so as to keep the drives balanced. If you have a cache drive, any new data gets placed on the cache drive to speed up the transfer as it does not run parity until it gets transferred to the data drive where it will be stored. Using an SSD as the cache drive helps to speed up the process. You can manually initiate a transfer from the cache drive to the array or you can schedule it to be transferred at a time of your choosing on a recurring basis. Any data stored on the cache drive will show up as part of the share it was copied to even though it's physically being stored on the cache drive. The data is not protected by parity until the final transfer occurs.

Last edited by captain_video; 09-18-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #15 of 46 Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
UnRAID does the same thing with shares and it doesn't cost you extra. You set up a shared folder and it is automatically created across all drives unless you exclude certain drives from the share. A single drive can contain multiple shares. You don't have to dedicate an entire drive to a specific type of files or media and you can set up as many shares as you want. You map the share folder just like you would any single drive. When you open the share you see every file included in the share no matter which drives they're physically located on. You can do anything you like with the data in a share as if you were accessing the actual drive where it's being stored. There's no need to directly access a single drive to find the data you want.

When you copy any new data to a share, unRAID automatically places it on the drive with the most available storage so as to keep the drives balanced. If you have a cache drive, any new data gets placed on the cache drive to speed up the transfer as it does not run parity until it gets transferred to the data drive where it will be stored. Using an SSD as the cache drive helps to speed up the process. You can manually initiate a transfer from the cache drive to the array or you can schedule it to be transferred at a time of your choosing on a recurring basis. Any data stored on the cache drive will show up as part of the share it was copied to even though it's physically being stored on the cache drive. The data is not protected by parity until the final transfer occurs.
Thats cool but I think he already stated he wants to use win 10 and snapraid. Wasn't trying to say one was better, just that drive pool goes well with snapraid if its already up and running.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #16 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats cool but I think he already stated he wants to use win 10 and snapraid. Wasn't trying to say one was better, just that drive pool goes well with snapraid if its already up and running.
I understand that. I will only say one more thing about unRAID and then let it be. I have been using unRAID for over ten years running 24/7 and it has never crashed on me once. You will never get a blue screen of death with unRAID. You can't say that about any version of Windows. If reliability is important then it's something you may wish to consider.
post #17 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked: 3388
Quote:
I understand that. I will only say one more thing about unRAID and then let it be. I have been using unRAID for over ten years running 24/7 and it has never crashed on me once. You will never get a blue screen of death with unRAID. You can't say that about any version of Windows. If reliability is important then it's something you may wish to consider.
Nonsense. I have several windows machines in my house that have never crashed. My plex media server went about 800 days before I rebooted it to upgrade the video card. I had another hyperviser server that the virtual machines had uptimes of 727 days before I did a windows update and rebooted it. The premise that windows is not stable vanished out the door with windows 98 / ME.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #18 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So what's wrong with using windows built in raid tools via windows dynamic disks etc? Supports raid0, 1, 5 etc.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #19 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Nonsense. I have several windows machines in my house that have never crashed. My plex media server went about 800 days before I rebooted it to upgrade the video card. I had another hyperviser server that the virtual machines had uptimes of 727 days before I did a windows update and rebooted it. The premise that windows is not stable vanished out the door with windows 98 / ME.
Clearly you have not been following the status of Windows 10 and their botched updates. They've had to hold back on distributing updates because they've been wreaking havoc with countless PCs. Just because you've had good luck with your PCs doesn't mean it won't happen. Consider yourself among the minority of happy Windows users if that's the case. I don't think I've ever had a Windows PC that didn't crash at some point. I simply cringe at the thought of using a Windows OS as the basis for a server. I want something that I know I can rely on to stay up and running with little or no maintenance, not to mention that I can make sure that Microsoft doesn't bork the software. At least with older versions of Windows you had the option to turn off automatic updates. I don't believe that's true with Windows 10.
post #20 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Clearly you have not been following the status of Windows 10 and their botched updates. They've had to hold back on distributing updates because they've been wreaking havoc with countless PCs. Just because you've had good luck with your PCs doesn't mean it won't happen. Consider yourself among the minority of happy Windows users if that's the case. I don't think I've ever had a Windows PC that didn't crash at some point. I simply cringe at the thought of using a Windows OS as the basis for a server. I want something that I know I can rely on to stay up and running with little or no maintenance, not to mention that I can make sure that Microsoft doesn't bork the software. At least with older versions of Windows you had the option to turn off automatic updates. I don't believe that's true with Windows 10.
If you cant turn off windows 10 updates, then how do you explain that I had 800+ days of uptime between reboots? My HTPC is still running 1703. I have no problems on *any* of my 20+ computers running over here. So when people are complaining about stability problems with Windows, I just have to write it off as them.

post #21 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If you cant turn off windows 10 updates, then how do you explain that I had 800+ days of uptime between reboots? My HTPC is still running 1703. I have no problems on *any* of my 20+ computers running over here. So when people are complaining about stability problems with Windows, I just have to write it off as them.
I haven't had any issues either, but apparently a lot of other people have. Unless you've been living under a rock, there has been a lot of bad press over Microsoft's problems with Windows 10 updates. This isn't just a random occurrence.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#491ed46b11e0

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...spoiler-maybe/

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-PCs-Microsoft

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...muffled-audio/

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-work-a...ues-1838107037

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/win...ow-to-fix-them

And the list goes on and on. These are not the kind of issues we should be having with Microsoft. Windows is clearly the most-used operating system for PCs around the world. Companies that use Windows PCs rely on Microsoft for providing a stable platform for them to use. This kind of crap is simply unacceptable in the business world. Like you, I have been fortunate enough to have dodged the update bullets that have plagued so many others. That doesn't mean I will trust them enough to keep my data safe. I want a server platform that I know will keep running no matter what. I don't have that level of confidence with Windows anymore. It seems that whenever they take one step forward they end up taking five steps back. Your PC hasn't been updated beyond 1703 because they have to keep pulling the updates before they are widely distributed. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Last edited by captain_video; 09-19-2019 at 06:48 AM.
post #22 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah that's pretty impressive. My win 10 server is pretty stable but it has its moments.

And windows doors not let you turn off updates which is totally lame. At least not without disabling services. I have mine disabled through a third party app.

post #23 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty impressive. My win 10 server is pretty stable but it has its moments.

And windows doors not let you turn off updates which is totally lame. At least not without disabling services. I have mine disabled through a third party app.
That's nice that you're able to do that. Whoever is doing the coding for Microsoft these days needs to be taken to the woodshed and flogged severely. It seems like all the good coders that worked for them all made their millions and then retired in their early 30's. The ones they have working there now seem like worthless hacks. It's pretty bad when they release an update only to discover after it's released that it's screwing up so many computers and they're forced to pull it back. I'm not even sure when they last sent out a stable release. I just checked and I'm running version 1809 which was released in November of last year. That means Microsoft hasn't sent out a stable release for over ten months. That's downright pathetic.
post #24 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's nice that you're able to do that. Whoever is doing the coding for Microsoft these days needs to be taken to the woodshed and flogged severely. It seems like all the good coders that worked for them all made their millions and then retired in their early 30's. The ones they have working there now seem like worthless hacks. It's pretty bad when they release an update only to discover after it's released that it's screwing up so many computers and they're forced to pull it back. I'm not even sure when they last sent out a stable release. I just checked and I'm running version 1809 which was released in November of last year. That means Microsoft hasn't sent out a stable release for over ten months. That's downright pathetic.

We're actually on 1903 right now which I think was August. I like it, it's been good for my PC's. They finally gave the option for dark mode after how many decades. I know thats just a cosmetic thing, I believe they also made the start menu run on its own process now because it was pretty dreadful how often it would like to lag out and not open. I'd have to click start ten times. It's pretty snappy now. Search as well and it looks better.

post #25 of 46 Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haha, just tried to RDP into my server and it was unresponsive, had the flip the power switch.

post #26 of 46 Old 09-20-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha, just tried to RDP into my server and it was unresponsive, had the flip the power switch.
LOL, I guess I can't blame Microsoft for that glitch
post #27 of 46 Old 09-20-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL, I guess I can't blame Microsoft for that glitch
This happens now and then, not sure what is going on, the server runs without a monitor so its a pain to drag one over to it, wasn't updating because they are turned, so not sure what the deal is but its annoying for sure.

post #28 of 46 Old 10-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 134
It seems I am not the only person wondering what the hell happened to FlexRAID. I've been using FlexRAID for about 7 years now in order to create my media server for Emby. I just made a massive addition to the array, and so I decided to do an unscheduled parity update. It failed multiple times. So, I decided to go to the FlexRAID forums, only to find that the entire FlexRAID site has apparently disappeared. Now, I have 67+ TB of data on something like 24 disks, along with two parity drives that are now out of sync/date.

The machine is both the server for the media and the actual server for Emby, so I am not wanting to dedicate it solely to being a disk farm. I also don't want to reformat the drives. I want to keep the data I have on them without going through the hassle of ripping several thousand DVDs and BDs all over again. Hell, about 2,500 or so are in a storage locker about 1000 miles from me, so re-ripping is a non-starter.
post #29 of 46 Old 10-05-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can switch over to unRAID or SnapRAID and just copy the data over one disk at a time. I had to do that a couple of years ago when I decided to convert all of my unRAID data disks from the older ReiserFS file system to the better XFS file system that unRAID now supports. You'll need one extra drive to do the task. Install the new disk in the array and format it with the new file system (you can mix and match in unRAID). Copy the data from one of the older drives to the newly formatted drive. When it's done, reformat the drive you just copied the data from with the new file system and repeat the process until all data has been copied. It's a slow, tedious process, but you can run it in the background. It works best if the target drive is at least the same size as the source drive. You'll have to work out a sequence for moving data from smaller drivers to equal or larger drives in the entire array. I assume the same basic principal would apply to SnapRAID.

The reason I keep pushing for unRAID is because it's backed by Lime Technology and has a huge support forum. It's not going to disappear because some butthead decided he didn't want to support it any longer. The amount of support for this product is immense and it just keeps getting better all the time. SnapRAID is a freeware program which means the developer only receives funds from donations so there's no guarantee how long it will stay supported. FlexRAID was license-based, just like unRAID, but was basically supported by a single individual who apparently got bored with it and moved on. I honestly don't know what happened and I can't seem to find any info as to why FlexRAID disappeared, but it was a dick move by the developer to just abandon everyone that paid for his product.

FYI - unRAID has an Emby docker along with countless other dockers and apps. I've got a Plex docker installed on mine and it works great with my Nvidia Shields.
post #30 of 46 Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
It seems I am not the only person wondering what the hell happened to FlexRAID . . . . Now, I have 67+ TB of data on something like 24 disks, along with two parity drives that are now out of sync/date.

The machine is both the server for the media and the actual server for Emby, so I am not wanting to dedicate it solely to being a disk farm. I also don't want to reformat the drives. I want to keep the data I have on them without going through the hassle of ripping several thousand DVDs and BDs all over again. Hell, about 2,500 or so are in a storage locker about 1000 miles from me, so re-ripping is a non-starter.
SnapRaid is the Windows-based replacement that does snapshot RAID, which is perfect for data arrays storing large unchanging video files. You don't need to re-rip or transfer files, your data disks can all be full. You run the sync operation and it builds the parity disks from the existing data on your array drives. With that much data the initial parity build could take several days. SnapRaid is command line driven. There is a GUI shell someone wrote but it really isn't needed. The basic commands are simple. Setting up SnapRaid is really not all that hard. You basically edit the example config file to reflect your system. The SnapRaid Manual Getting Started section is very clear and walks you though setup. SnapRaid has no background tasks and only runs when you issue it a command so your system is always 100% available to service your streaming servers. Mine is always running Plex Server and Mezzmo DLNA Sever.

The only thing that may give you a wrinkle with SnapRaid is the parity disk requirements. Like FlexRAID the SnapRaid parity disks must be as large (or larger) than the largest data disk in the array. However, the number of required parity disks increases as the array grows. A single parity disk is needed for 4 data disks. After that an additional parity disk is needed for each successive group of 7 data drives. See this table. Your 24 data disks will require 4 parity disks.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page