Streamlining Playback of UHD Backups via Oppo UDP-203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lockdown571

post #1 of 3 Old 10-31-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Streamlining Playback of UHD Backups via Oppo UDP-203

I haven't been following the latest updates in regards to lossless playback of UHD-BD backups, so I am hoping for some input from those of you who are up-to-speed:

I currently use my Oppo 203 to play full backups of my UHD-BDs from interchangeable portable external hard drives connected to the Oppo via USB. This setup has its benefits: There are absolutely no issues with Dolby Vision, Atmos, forced subtitles, etc. Everything plays and functions as if the actual disc was inserted, which is awesome. However, the major drawbacks are that the folder browsing system/user interface is quite archaic, and I have to swap external hard drives to see my entire collection of movies, as well as to backup the actual movies from my computer.

A little streamlining would go a long way if anyone has some suggestions that maintain the stability and reliability of my current setup. I'd be happy with just figuring out a way to have all of the hard drives accessible via the computer I use to backup the UHDs as well as the Oppo (so that I don't have to constantly connect and disconnect drives to backup a movie, find a movie, and play a movie). If there is an even better way just using the computer itself, I am open to that as well. The computer is fairly capable with a 1080Ti FWIW.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Consider getting a NAS or building one (check out Unraid). Then just stream the movies over your network. You will still have to use the basic Oppo interface, but at least you won't have to worry about connecting and swapping drives.
Keenan likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Consider getting a NAS or building one (check out Unraid). Then just stream the movies over your network. You will still have to use the basic Oppo interface, but at least you won't have to worry about connecting and swapping drives.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am currently trying to get my existing PC to share the external drives over the network with the Oppo...it isn't going well though. Would rather not spend the money to build a seperate NAS if I don't have to, but seems like it might be easier than what I'm currently doing, which is mostly just pounding my head against the Windows 10 wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page