Whats needed to get Dolby Atmos from a HTPC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Onkyoman
  • 2 Post By SuperFist
  • 1 Post By Foxbat121
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By rec head
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Whats needed to get Dolby Atmos from a HTPC?

If I stream Dolby Atmos trailers from Youtube on my HTPC, my Denon will not show Atmos in the display. Should I be using something like Kodi?

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 OC edition 8GB GDDR6 connected to my Denon with an HDMI cable on my Windows 10 PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
If I stream Dolby Atmos trailers from Youtube on my HTPC, my Denon will not show Atmos in the display. Should I be using something like Kodi?

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 OC edition 8GB GDDR6 connected to my Denon with an HDMI cable on my Windows 10 PC.
My understanding, and I could be completely wrong here, is that Nvidia only passes 2.0 audio.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:

Atmos is possible with a player that supports Dolby TrueHD passthrough. YouTube is not one of those players.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post
My understanding, and I could be completely wrong here, is that Nvidia only passes 2.0 audio.
So I need to figure this out first because nothing else would matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Atmos is possible with a player that supports Dolby TrueHD passthrough. YouTube is not one of those players.
So are you saying using a web browser and accessing Youtube, that would not allow Atmos when I play an Atmos Demo Clip from the Youtube website? What do you mean by player? Does that mean I need to access youtube through an app like Kodi or VLC?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 5671
The tricky thing about Dolby Atmos is that, for it to work, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Atmos. In other words:

• The movie you’re playing — whether it’s physical, downloaded — or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).
  • The hardware you’re playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”
  • The app you’re using e.g. Plex, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, etc. must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to your playback device.
  • And of course, your AV receiver or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible.

Another potential gotcha: Just because your app of choice supports Dolby Atmos on device X, that doesn’t mean it necessarily supports it on device Y. For instance, Plex running on an Nvidia Shield TV can pass through Atmos over Dolby TrueHD, and over Dolby Digital Plus, but Plex on an Apple TV 4K will only handle Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus, and Plex on a 4th-gen Apple TV can’t pass through Dolby Atmos at all.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...y-atmos-sound/
MinHeadroom and beerhunt like this.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 506
YouTube only supports 2.0 audio. No other audio codecs possible. Yet, people still uploads various surround tracks to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post
Yeah, completely wrong. Almost all video cards, event the integrated ones, on market today supports all latest audio formats. The limiting factor is either source, e.g. YouTube, or player software.
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 11-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
The tricky thing about Dolby Atmos is that, for it to work, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Atmos. In other words:

• The movie you’re playing — whether it’s physical, downloaded — or streamed, has to be encoded with Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus).
  • The hardware you’re playing it on has to be able to decode Dolby Atmos or pass it along to a Dolby Atmos-capable sound system without altering it. This is known as “pass-through.”
  • The app you’re using e.g. Plex, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon Prime Video, etc. must be capable of delivering Dolby Atmos data to your playback device.
  • And of course, your AV receiver or soundbar must be Dolby Atmos compatible.

Another potential gotcha: Just because your app of choice supports Dolby Atmos on device X, that doesn’t mean it necessarily supports it on device Y. For instance, Plex running on an Nvidia Shield TV can pass through Atmos over Dolby TrueHD, and over Dolby Digital Plus, but Plex on an Apple TV 4K will only handle Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus, and Plex on a 4th-gen Apple TV can’t pass through Dolby Atmos at all.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...y-atmos-sound/
Excellent explanation, thanks for the detailed reply!

It's absolutely ridiculous that consumers have to keep track of all this. It's one thing to have every component in your chain be compatible with a feature like Atmos but its crazy to have to figure out what app, streaming device or both will work, especially if an app will work on one device but not another...

When they market an Apple TV and say watch 4k content in amazing 4k HDR with Dolby Atmos sound, I think most people would believe that the apps on Apple TV, including YouTube would play in Atmos sound.

Last edited by drober30; 11-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
YouTube only supports 2.0 audio. No other audio codecs possible. Yet, people still uploads various surround tracks to it

Yeah, completely wrong. Almost all video cards, event the integrated ones, on market today supports all latest audio formats. The limiting factor is either source, e.g. YouTube, or player software.
Can you suggest a combination of source and player known to work together that I can demo on my PC just to see if I can get Atmos to play through my Denon?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 PM

YouTube app on Apple TV doesn't even support 4k at all even though YouTube platform itself does support 4K HDR video. There is no hope for audio though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
YouTube app on Apple TV doesn't even support 4k at all even though YouTube platform itself does support 4K HDR video. There is no hope for audio though.

Is there a guide on AVS or the Internet that has all this info listed?
post #11 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 273
It still isn't clear if your Denon/Speaker setup supports ATMOS.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Any stream box other than a PC is easier to setup for Atmos demonstration. With a PC, you really have to know what you are doing to piece things together.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
It still isn't clear if your Denon/Speaker setup supports ATMOS.
It does... AVR-X3600H and I have configured a 5.1.4 using ceiling speakers.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Any stream box other than a PC is easier to setup for Atmos demonstration. With a PC, you really have to know what you are doing to piece things together.

Using my ATV4k, I had Atmos working on my Denon and the display reported Atmos. The only issue with the PC is the effort of finding out what should be possible, it's just so stupid/frustrating all these different formats don't play nice together... Youtube app on ATV4k won't play in 4K, who would ever think that?
post #15 of 19 Old 11-02-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5379 Post(s)
Liked: 3499
Quote:
Using my ATV4k, I had Atmos working on my Denon and the display reported Atmos. The only issue with the PC is the effort of finding out what should be possible, it's just so stupid/frustrating all these different formats don't play nice together... Youtube app on ATV4k won't play in 4K, who would ever think that?
The web browser is limited to web video and web audio which is 2 channel only. Getting atmos to play via PC is extremely easy.

1) Obtain an video file that actually has an atmos sound track.
2) Install lav filters, and get a direct show player such as MPC-HC that supports audio bit streaming via HDMI (windows will pass the audio to your receiver to decode, it won't decode it).

That's it.

I believe these clips are true atmos (https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/), if you select the ones that say "Lossless atmos". Do not try playing them via the web browser. As stated before, web audio is not capable of surround sound formats.

Amaze is one of the best demos for atmos. It has rain above and a bird that flaps around in 360 degree arc over your head. Conductor and leaf atmos versions are good also for testing your system.

Edit: here is a link that describes the HTML5 video formats. This is all that youtube can give you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video People upload atmos tracks to youtube where it then gets converted to multiple formats and when you play back on your browers you get a format that fits this chart.
beerhunt likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 11-02-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-02-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
It does... AVR-X3600H and I have configured a 5.1.4 using ceiling speakers.
OK, just making sure before we went too far. I have seen plenty of posts from people that can't get the AVR to say ATMOS but only have a 5.1 setup.

As stated above you need to be setup to bitstream. AFAIK any player that can bitstream the audio will pass the ATMOS metadata.
SuperFist likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-02-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Dolby Atmos claims that it can be decoded in Windows, under certain conditions:
The player must support Media Foundation. Only Windows Media Player/WMP currently does, as a standalone player.
The Edge browser.
Some apps from the Windows App store, such as Netflix.

It's limited to DD+(Dolby Digital Plus/E-AC3) that contains Atmos data.

How to output the result via analog to speakers is unclear, since no sound card output channels for Atmos.

For headphones, an app exists, DAfH (Dolby Atmos for Headphones), which in conjunction with the supported players mentioned above is supposed to virtualize the Atmos information correctly.
In testing the results have been inconclusive, the vertical audio information does not stand out, and generally the Atmos tracks are not distinguishable from the non Atmos tracks.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Web video supports 5.1 just fine - most browsers actually support 5.1 AAC audio.

The problem is most people watching web video only have stereo audio. To get that surround sound, you need to have a 5.1 system attached to your PC. This can be 5.1 discrete speakers or someone with HDMI to a receiver - the audio comes out as 5.1 PCM so those are the only two ways to get it.

Needless to say, very few people watch in those configurations, so web video sites practically don't support it, especially sites that consist of user generated videos, where even fewer content makers have gear capable of surround sound and don't see much advantage for the extra time and effort.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-03-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5379 Post(s)
Liked: 3499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Web video supports 5.1 just fine - most browsers actually support 5.1 AAC audio.

The problem is most people watching web video only have stereo audio. To get that surround sound, you need to have a 5.1 system attached to your PC. This can be 5.1 discrete speakers or someone with HDMI to a receiver - the audio comes out as 5.1 PCM so those are the only two ways to get it.

Needless to say, very few people watch in those configurations, so web video sites practically don't support it, especially sites that consist of user generated videos, where even fewer content makers have gear capable of surround sound and don't see much advantage for the extra time and effort.
5.1 AAC is a far cry away from ATMOS. It's always funny when people upload ATMOS demos to youtube.
SuperFist likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page