Need pointers on building a new HTPC and media center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need pointers on building a new HTPC and media center

I built my first HTPC years ago and still use it, but it’s getting clunky. Still running WMC on Win7. Big case packed with 4x 1.5TB HDDs loaded up with all my blu rays. Trouble is, Microsoft keeps trying kill my Win7 and the HTPC is tied to one TV.

It’s time to give up the ghost and start fresh with a more current and versatile solution. I want to build a network RAID media server with about 10TB, and two small HTPCs to stream to two TVs on two different floors of my house. I want to stick with Intel chipsets running Windows OS. I’ll need a blu ray drive somewhere (on an HTPC or the media server?) to rip my movies.

Ok with those basic parameters, can anyone point me to a good guide or two to help me build this? I’m not so worried about money - I just really want to keep this very simple, and I want a ton of storage space. I’d like to build this myself if I have a simple guide.

Would really appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Would my simplest solution be to build a Plex Media Server? And would that really just be (for me) an HTPC which runs Plex on the Windows OS? I just want a box packed full of HDDs (I guess I don’t really need a RAID), a blu ray drive, and a network card. Rip my movies to the HDDs, load em all up in Plex, and then stream from there to a small client such as Fire Stick on each of my TVs over the network. Is it that easy? Should I just be looking for a guide to build a Plex server?

I already know how to build an HTPC, so if that’s all I need to do and add Windows and Plex, I can do that! Please let me know if I’m overlooking anything.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmirak View Post
Would my simplest solution be to build a Plex Media Server? And would that really just be (for me) an HTPC which runs Plex on the Windows OS? I just want a box packed full of HDDs (I guess I don’t really need a RAID), a blu ray drive, and a network card. Rip my movies to the HDDs, load em all up in Plex, and then stream from there to a small client such as Fire Stick on each of my TVs over the network. Is it that easy? Should I just be looking for a guide to build a Plex server?

I already know how to build an HTPC, so if that’s all I need to do and add Windows and Plex, I can do that! Please let me know if I’m overlooking anything.
You don't even need Plex. FireTV's are capable of sideloading Kodi to handle the media. I have 3 FireTV's on all the TV's outside my Home Theater and are fully capable of streaming even 4K from my NAS. Slow network issues may require Plex to down grade for lower bandwidth. All my FireTV's are hard wired with Gbit network.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can always run Plex on Ubuntu (free). Been doing it for years. Need to upgrade my box too.

Needs to be able to play 4K and spit out Atmos and the like also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. Sorry for the dumb question. Now that I realize I don’t need to build a separate client for each TV, that massively simplifies things. Just need to build a new media server. Thankfully HDD costs have really dropped since I last built an HTPC! I’ll probably start with one 10TB drive with room to expand to a second down the road as needed.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmirak View Post
Thanks all. Sorry for the dumb question. Now that I realize I don’t need to build a separate client for each TV, that massively simplifies things. Just need to build a new media server. Thankfully HDD costs have really dropped since I last built an HTPC! I’ll probably start with one 10TB drive with room to expand to a second down the road as needed.
Spend the money on a case with PLENTY of drive bays for expansion.

Also, as your collection is still small, use 2 10TB drives. A primary and a backup copy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page