Using exiting Silverstone Lascala Series LC17 Chassis for new 4K UHD HTPC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrDon

post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using exiting Silverstone Lascala Series LC17 Chassis for new 4K UHD HTPC

Morning All,

Some 10 years ago I built an HTPC. It has worked fine but I want to rebuild it for use with 4K UHD. My first question is:

Can I use my existing chassis (Silverstone Lascala Series LC17 Chassis)? If so, what would be the good/best motherboard as a foundation for new hardware (processor, graphics board, maybe new power supply, etc.)? I plan to use the existing hard drives in my current system (except for the Windows 10 boot -- I will use an SSD for this).

I currently run an older version Kodi and will upgrade to a later version -- perhaps Leia (Kodi version 18).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,
Harold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
There's a forum for HTPC. You'll probably get more eyes there.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ter-computers/

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 4454
Moved to HTPC area.
Ratman likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I too built an HTPC over 10 years ago. I still use it because everything newer offers nothing that would gain me anything tbh. I use an older Silverstone Lascala Series SST-LC03 simply because imo, it's the best case ever made for my needs. Mainly to house (10) 3.5" HDD's and an SSD locally for the O/S after some modding. I also prefer an older Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 rev-2 MB since it includes 11 sata ports and more than enough PCIe lanes driven by an older Xeon X5690 6core. Here's a few pics of my mod fwiw - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...l#post58074548

The beauty of an HTPC is that you only need to upgrade what is required as new 'things' to compute are introduced over time... 4k being the most significant at this time with 8k on the horizon. Whatever older components existed in your Silverstone are probably more than sufficient in todays A/V environment with a couple exceptions that you may or may not desire to upgrade depending what you presently have.

The one single component to concentrate on to achieve your 4k A/V future is your video card. All A/V tasks can now be handled through the hardware with very little required from the CPU software end. Without knowing your present PSU, you may or may not need to replace it to accommodate the 6pin port on modern video cards. I use an older nVidia GTX 960 4GB. I could upgrade at any time but again, honestly, I would gain nothing. This is because I use a 4k panel and passthrough 4k HDR which requires very little processing. If you happen to use a PJ, especially a faux k or native 1080p, you would require a much more powerful video card to accommodate HDR to SDR conversion processes producing a likeness of native 4k HDR. You will determine if you need an expensive or a budget card.

I've been using Kodi v19 Matrix as my front end since its introduction. Unless you're pretty familiar with Kodi and things related to customizing it, I'd suggest using the present 18.4 official release using external player(s) and perhaps additional refining components such as madVr with LAV filters. I hope this gets you started in the right direction. Myself and others have provided guides to help setup these advanced techniques for beginner, novice, and expert users desiring high quality experiences - see my signature.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Still using my Lascala LC14M case as my primary HTPC, mainly because I'm also using a Ceton InfiniTV6 PCI-e internal tuner. I love it because it can accommodate a full-size ATX motherboard with plenty of room for expansion. My two latest builds are mini-iTX versions, one in a Fractal Design Node 202 case and the other in a Silverstone ML08 case. Both are super slim designs that can accommodate full-sized graphics cards using an internal riser card. The Fractal Design has room for two 120mm case fans whereas the Silverstone has extra slots for SSDs and can hold an elongated SFX PSU. The Silverstone case has a little more room to work with and also has a reset button on the front whereas the FD does not. Both cases are very nice.

Ryzen CPUs are gaining a lot of popularity these days. You can actually still use Windows 7 with the 1st generation Ryzens, but you have to modify the Windows installation image to include drivers for USB 3.0 and NVMe SSDs. Gigabyte has a utility for modifying the installation image with the files and I believe ASRock may also have a similar setup. There may be other brands that do it as well. Just check the manufacturer's website download areas for drivers and it should indicate if they have such a utility available along with the necessary drivers. This becomes moot if you decide to go with Windows 10.

I've built HTPCs using motherboards from Asus, ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte and ECS and Gigabyte is my current favorite with ASRock running a close second. As previously indicated, you'll need to decide on how much graphics card power you'll need. You should be able to find out plenty of info on graphics cards here in this forum to formulate a decision.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-13-2019, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Many thanks for the response. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum...I wasn't sure where to post my questions.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownUSA View Post
Morning All,

Some 10 years ago I built an HTPC. It has worked fine but I want to rebuild it for use with 4K UHD. My first question is:

Can I use my existing chassis (Silverstone Lascala Series LC17 Chassis)? If so, what would be the good/best motherboard as a foundation for new hardware (processor, graphics board, maybe new power supply, etc.)? I plan to use the existing hard drives in my current system (except for the Windows 10 boot -- I will use an SSD for this).

I currently run an older version Kodi and will upgrade to a later version -- perhaps Leia (Kodi version 18).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank,
Harold
Hi, I have exactly this case, in silver. I purchased it due to the ability to have many internal disks and the form factor. I originally had a gigabyte board in it but upgraded a couple of years ago.

I now have an ASUS motherboard with an Intel Kabylake processor, windows 10, SSD and lots of internal and external disks. This CPU has an integrated intel graphics processor which handles 4K perfectly, at any refresh up to 60hz. I use JRiver as the media player/library and this automatically switches between 23.976p, 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p depending on what the movie requires. it all happens perfectly, quite unlike any other media/library software such s MyMovies, Kodi etc., none of which, in my experience is set and forget, like JRiver certainly is.

I have the case fans spinning very slowly with an inline resister to slow them down (a fan controller will do the same). The internal disks never get above 32degress celsius. And unless you are right up next to it, the whole computer is completely silent, which is critical to your enjoyment of a movie. Nothing kills the atmosphere faster than a 1060 or other graphics card whirring or screaming like a banshee, ramping up and down in speed.

Note that I also have a silverstone 450watt fanless PSU, which I believe is still available. Again, in the pursuit of silence. Don't believe all those people that say you need a high powered power supply. For this setup, you don't.

Yes, I know many, many people will say that you need a discrete high end graphics card but unless you are gaming at high res or wanting to adjust all sorts of graphics parameters using things like MadVR, you simply don't need one. And the downside - heat and noise - far outweighs the advantages if normal movies are what you want to watch.

My PC also does video editing and rendering without any issues at all and also serves as the household media server for audio, pictures, videos (movies and home recorded videos). And it can do all this at once, no problem.

This is a great combination. As good as it gets for a movie PC. Oh and you can always add a discrete card later if you need the extra performance for gaming etc..

Regards and good luck, RobinW.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
That htpc is an excellent candidate to upgrade in, and could give you all kinds of options.

(Maybe the leftovers are suitable to create most of an UnRaid server?)

If something like MadVR is desired, you could remove the hard drive bays and simply mount a ssd via an inexpensive pci bracket, or even Velcro it out of the way.
That and an UnRaid server would open up the case for airflow and remove hard drive mechanical noise from the viewing environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc , kodi , silverstone lascala

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page