Looking to buy laptop w/ compatible optical drive that can play 4K UHD blu ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking to buy laptop w/ compatible optical drive that can play 4K UHD blu ray

Hey Guys,

I am struggling to put a laptop together that can play 4k UHD blu rays. I understand that I'll need an external optical drive and PowerDVD ultra.

The issue here is that i'm seeing wildly varying reviews on optical drives and whether or not they can play these discs. My assumption is that some of these people don't have the hardware in their laptops. That said i'm having difficulty confirming what would work and reconciling the right drive and laptop hardware specs to meet PowerDVD's minimum specs (since i'm new to the forum i cannot post the link).

I've been to Reddit, MKV forums, Tom's Hardware, and no one can seem to give me some straight advice on a disc drive and laptop that can play 4k UHD blu rays. I do not need any ripping or writing capacbilties. Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer that can do this and an optical drive to go with it? I was told this might be a good place to bring it up.

I'm located in the US and the region would be North American legal discs.

I'd be extremely appreciative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 509
UHD drive is probably the least you need to worry about. PowerDVD with UHD has very stringent requirements for hardware copy protection before it will allow you to playback UHD discs. Not to mention a UHD screen is not exactly Windows friendly (I had one before and hated it).
post #3 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
UHD drive is probably the least you need to worry about. PowerDVD with UHD has very stringent requirements for hardware copy protection before it will allow you to playback UHD discs. Not to mention a UHD screen is not exactly Windows friendly (I had one before and hated it).

Am I to understand it's not possible then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 509
It is possible but you won't know which laptop meet the requirements from the spec alone. It is way too expensive for what it worth. You can have stand alone UHD player for around $100 or so these days. That's close to what you pay for PowerDVD ultra License.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My question would be why? You aren't likely to notice a video quality difference between 1080P (Blu-Ray) and UHD discs on a laptop screen. So why waste the money?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 429
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
My question would be why? You aren't likely to notice a video quality difference between 1080P (Blu-Ray) and UHD discs on a laptop screen. So why waste the money?
Well i'd be buying a laptop with a 4k screen. I'd like to watch my movies in the background while I play games on my big screen.

Yes, I know I can rip them.

Yes, I know I can stream them.

^I'm curious about direct play off of disc.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It is possible but you won't know which laptop meet the requirements from the spec alone. It is way too expensive for what it worth. You can have stand alone UHD player for around $100 or so these days. That's close to what you pay for PowerDVD ultra License.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This is utilize my movie collection in a portable manner either on the go or while i'm using my big screen for movies. I have a player for my big screen.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
And you still won't see the difference. And you will overpay for a 4k screen that size.

Look at this chart for screen sizes (or view any of the numerous others with the same info): https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fGT0La...placement.html

And if your argument is for "portability", that just makes less sense. You could have a huge movie collection on a small USB stick or even more on a semi small external USB HDD. But it's somehow more "portable" to have a stack of discs?

I admit that I don't have the answers that you want. The last time that I looked into this, I was trying to get a UHD for a desktop PC (where there is a much larger assortment of hardware to choose from) and it still wasn't worth the effort. I've also considered simply getting a UHD internal drive just to be able to RIP my movies, but the drive itself costs more than the actual player connected to my TV.

In any case, if you know the specs (they may be listed by PowerDVD), you can narrow down the list of laptops. At which point, you could try contacting tech support or even sales for confirmation. You will likely be looking at highend or gaming systems.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page