Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Done with Comcast! Again.

Hi, All.

Just moved after cutting the cord six years ago and loving OTA service. Our new home/area doesn't have OTA reception, so I am stuck with Comcast. Their Cablecard service has gotten unbearable since I last used it six years ago and after a week in, I am ready to move on, again. I have a purpose built HTPC and I don't want to give up on it. I am using my old Ceton InfiniTV-4 and looking for a Silicon Dust HDHR three tuner cablecard device with the hope that it works better than the Ceton. If it doesn't, or in your opinions, it won't, I am ready to move to Hulu Live.

My question is, is there a way still use my HTPC as a DVR with Hulu Live? We can't watch most shows during the week/day, so we record them and catch up on Friday through Sunday nights. Is there a way to continue this with an alternative service? I believe Hulu Live offers their own 20 hour DVR service, but that isn't much...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I didn't know anything about Hulu or Hulu Live other than it was a streaming service so I decided to check it out based on your post. Here's a link that provides a lot of good info:

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...ive-tv-review/

FYI - the price of Hulu + Live goes up from $44.99 to $54.99 on Dec 18, 2019.

They include 50 hours of cloud DVR service for free, but you can bump that up to 200 hours for an additional $9.99 per month. There's an additional fee if you want to skip past commercials. You are also limited to watching on two screens at the same time, but you can pay yet another fee to expand on that.

As for using your HTPC as a DVR with Hulu Live, it doesn't appear that you can do that since their DVR service is on the cloud. You would have to switch to a streaming box like a Roku or other Hulu compatible device.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I didn't know anything about Hulu or Hulu Live other than it was a streaming service so I decided to check it out based on your post. Here's a link that provides a lot of good info:

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...ive-tv-review/

FYI - the price of Hulu + Live goes up from $44.99 to $54.99 on Dec 18, 2019.

They include 50 hours of cloud DVR service for free, but you can bump that up to 200 hours for an additional $9.99 per month. There's an additional fee if you want to skip past commercials. You are also limited to watching on two screens at the same time, but you can pay yet another fee to expand on that.

As for using your HTPC as a DVR with Hulu Live, it doesn't appear that you can do that since their DVR service is on the cloud. You would have to switch to a streaming box like a Roku or other Hulu compatible device.
Thanks captain_video! That is great information. I had no idea about the upcoming cost increase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 577
With Hulu+ you can stream most network shows within 24 hrs with the exception of CBS with on demand commercial free. You don't even need a DVR. I added CBS commercial free with my Hulu+ subscription and I get all the shows I normally get OTA commercial free and no DVR needed. Live news is the only thing I watch OTA now and even that can be streamed free in most locations with local TV apps. CBSondemand even includes live CBS stream.

EDIT: I don't have Hulu live as I see no need for it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
With Hulu+ you can stream most network shows within 24 hrs with the exception of CBS with on demand commercial free. You don't even need a DVR. I added CBS commercial free with my Hulu+ subscription and I get all the shows I normally get OTA commercial free and no DVR needed. Live news is the only thing I watch OTA now and even that can be streamed free in most locations with local TV apps. CBSondemand even includes live CBS stream.

EDIT: I don't have Hulu live as I see no need for it.
Thanks rekbones, thats good to know.

How long do the shows stay available on Hulu+?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-27-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdev View Post
Thanks rekbones, thats good to know.

How long do the shows stay available on Hulu+?
Many are available for at least the full season and some have even all the past seasons. They at least go back 5 episodes or so.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
In case anyone is interested, Hulu is offering a one-year subscription for their ad-supported membership for only $1.99 per month. It switches over to the regular $5.99 monthly fee after the year expires.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13642288-1-...#post132524653

The offer is good for new or returning subscribers and you can cancel at any time. Offer is good through Dec 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page