Been out of the loop - whats going on with SiliconDust? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Been out of the loop - whats going on with SiliconDust?

Good morning (or evening, or afternoon) everyone. I haven't been active much on the forum for a little while. We cancelled cable tv over the summer and have been using a variety of sources to watch tv.

I have a Prime collecting dust and a few XP/Vista era ATSC cards that do a much worse job tuning that any of the tv's built in tuners. We're mostly up on Android TV now so I'm relying on ServerWMC right now in the absence of an SD tuner, and my two ATI cards aren't cutting it anymore.

My observation is that SiliconDust products seem to be hard to find. I bought my Prime brand new for something like $75 and now they're going for over twice that used, with nothing available anywhere. Even the ATSC tuners, which I'm interested in buying, don't seem to be in stock at the big retailers (Newegg, Best Buy, but Amazon has some weird bundles from 3rd party sellers).

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The SD ATSC networked tuners are widely available from numerous sources. Just check the SD website for a list of their current models. The 3-tuner Prime is apparently out of production and the new Prime 6 hasn't been released yet, although it seems imminent according to the SD website. They make the Duo and Quatro 2 and 4-tuner ATSC models that are currently available and available from a number of sources like Newegg or Amazon and many others.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The SD ATSC networked tuners are widely available from numerous sources. Just check the SD website for a list of their current models. The 3-tuner Prime is apparently out of production and the new Prime 6 hasn't been released yet, although it seems imminent according to the SD website. They make the Duo and Quatro 2 and 4-tuner ATSC models that are currently available and available from a number of sources like Newegg or Amazon and many others.

Been out of the loop myself, didn't know the 3-tuner Prime is now no longer made. I still have mine, but haven't used it in over a year since moving out of the Comcast service area, so I don't have need for the CableCard. Living in the sticks now there aren't many options for media consumption, other than OTA television.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2019, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am out of the loop too as I do not know what a Prime is, but this is what I have for OTA, totally worth the 4 tuners. Had a 2 Tuner one, and for football season it did not cut it.
https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...i%2C161&sr=1-3

$145 new, but it looks like used it goes for under $90 on ebay.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
I am out of the loop too as I do not know what a Prime is, but this is what I have for OTA, totally worth the 4 tuners. Had a 2 Tuner one, and for football season it did not cut it.
https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...i%2C161&sr=1-3

$145 new, but it looks like used it goes for under $90 on ebay.
The Prime is a 3-tuner model that supports cablecards. It works on cable or FIOS. SD has been promising a 6-tuner model for years but it never materialized. If you look at their website they list a bunch of reasons why that happened but indicate that it should be available soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page