Looking for a video card that will support at least 7.1 audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking for a video card that will support at least 7.1 audio

Hi,

It appears my setup does not support running surround sound audio out of the HDMI port. I need to use the HDMI port with my 4x4 matrix so I can get the audio throughout the house. I would like to know of a decent video card that supports surround sound audio, at least 7.1, though I am only using 5.1 right now.

I have a MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition motherboard with 16GB of RAM and a Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor. Its running Windows 7 which I will be updating to windows 10 once Microsoft shuts down support for WMC.

Trying to answer my own question...
Here is what I found: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...pus-support%3F
PNY GeForce GT 1030 2GB Graphic Card
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-G...5072992&sr=8-1
I don't know if that is any good.
I probably will not be playing any games on this system.

Thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 429
What kind of video files will you be playing? Are you planning to use it for 4k playback? If so, a 1050Ti is the recommended minimum for that. Pretty much any video card with a HDMI output can bitstream 7.1 audio to a compatible AV receiver or preamp/processor, but you should make sure it uses the latest HDMI and HDCP standards to keep it from being obsolete too quickly.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
What kind of video files will you be playing? Are you planning to use it for 4k playback? If so, a 1050Ti is the recommended minimum for that. Pretty much any video card with a HDMI output can bitstream 7.1 audio to a compatible AV receiver or preamp/processor, but you should make sure it uses the latest HDMI and HDCP standards to keep it from being obsolete too quickly.
We are just playing OTA television we are recording mostly, and Amazon, netflix and Youtube. I am probably missing out on a lot of cool stuff because I just don't know. But I am so busy i have not dug in much to the potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Do you have a 4k display? If not then you might want to consider an upgrade and there's no better time than now to do it with the Black Friday deals going on. 4k HDTVs are ridiculously cheap these days. If not then I would still recommend going with a 1050Ti or better graphics card in case you want to upgrade the TV later.

FYI - No streaming service supports anything higher than 5.1 audio. You only need 7.1 if you're playing Blu-Ray discs or material ripped from Blu-Rays.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Its running Windows 7 which I will be updating to windows 10 once Microsoft shuts down support for WMC.
I have a HTPC and I already switched the service providers to Schedules Direct, with the help of epg123: http://epg123.garyan2.net/

Also, I have a GT730 in my PC, but since I just had upgraded my TV to a 4K one, I bought myself also a GT1030. It's video decoder (nvdec) and HDMI output are great. Note that it doesn't have a hardware encoder (nvenc), so it can't be used for anything that would require that:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix
post #6 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have a 4k display? If not then you might want to consider an upgrade and there's no better time than now to do it with the Black Friday deals going on. 4k HDTVs are ridiculously cheap these days. If not then I would still recommend going with a 1050Ti or better graphics card in case you want to upgrade the TV later.

FYI - No streaming service supports anything higher than 5.1 audio. You only need 7.1 if you're playing Blu-Ray discs or material ripped from Blu-Rays.
Yeah, I don't have 4K yet, I have a 50" Samsung Plasma from 2006 that still runs, it died 5 years ago but $30 and ebay and it runs, but I am buying for the future. LOL, I was in bestbuy today and those tvs are incredible.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-G...ralosp-20&th=1

$170, is that a good price or should I wait until cybermonday?

Last edited by caliskier; 11-29-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
I have a HTPC and I already switched the service providers to Schedules Direct, with the help of epg123: http://epg123.garyan2.net/
Wow, that is super! 1. Is it free overall, I would donate, but is it a free service overall? 2. With windows not supporting windows 7 isn't that a concern for security? I use this PC as my whole house server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
Also, I have a GT730 in my PC, but since I just had upgraded my TV to a 4K one, I bought myself also a GT1030. It's video decoder (nvdec) and HDMI output are great. Note that it doesn't have a hardware encoder (nvenc), so it can't be used for anything that would require that:
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix
Yes, they have these at best buy for $90 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvi...?skuId=5901353
and $88 on Amazon. Can they do 7.1 audio?
post #8 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have 4K yet, I have a 50" Samsung Plasma from 2006 that still runs, it died 5 years ago but $30 and ebay and it runs, but I am buying for the future. LOL, I was in bestbuy today and those tvs are incredible.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-G...ralosp-20&th=1

$170, is that a good price or should I wait until cybermonday?
I'm honestly not sure what they go for at the moment. I have a 1060 and I think I paid close to $300 for it a while ago, IIRC, so $170 probably isn't a bad deal. You might consider looking into a refurbished graphics card if you want to save even more money. They're mostly open box items or returns that have been tested and reboxed. I've got a couple of refurbs and never had any problems with them.

Wow! That plasma is a classic. They were awesome in their day. You should definitely check out the LG OLED sets if you really want to see the best picture available. The contrast on those suckers is unbelievable. I just saw a Black Friday deal on a 65" model for about $1599 and the 55" model for less than $1k.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13659596-lg...?src=frontpage

Last edited by captain_video; 11-29-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-29-2019, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure what they go for at the moment. I have a 1060 and I think I paid close to $300 for it a while ago, IIRC, so $170 probably isn't a bad deal. You might consider looking into a refurbished graphics card if you want to save even more money. They're mostly open box items or returns that have been tested and reboxed. I've got a couple of refurbs and never had any problems with them.

Wow! That plasma is a classic. They were awesome in their day. You should definitely check out the LG OLED sets if you really want to see the best picture available. The contrast on those suckers is unbelievable. I just saw a Black Friday deal on a 65" model for about $1599 and the 55" model for less than $1k.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13659596-lg...?src=frontpage
thanks for the help brother, I have burnt a huge hole in my wallet already this Christmas, I may have to wait a year on the TV upgrade, lol
post #10 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Hi,

It appears my setup does not support running surround sound audio out of the HDMI port. I need to use the HDMI port with my 4x4 matrix so I can get the audio throughout the house. I would like to know of a decent video card that supports surround sound audio, at least 7.1, though I am only using 5.1 right now.

I have a MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Edition motherboard with 16GB of RAM and a Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor. Its running Windows 7 which I will be updating to windows 10 once Microsoft shuts down support for WMC.

Trying to answer my own question...
Here is what I found: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...pus-support%3F
PNY GeForce GT 1030 2GB Graphic Card
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-G...5072992&sr=8-1
I don't know if that is any good.
I probably will not be playing any games on this system.

Thanks for the help...
What you have now should support 7.1 assuming your playing a file that has it. Set you audio format to stereo so windows does no processing and make sure what ever player your using can bitstream so the AVR does the processing.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #11 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Wow, that is super! 1. Is it free overall, I would donate, but is it a free service overall? 2. With windows not supporting windows 7 isn't that a concern for security? I use this PC as my whole house server.
The subscription to SD is very cheap, $25/year, I am using it since the "old times" when ReplayTV DVR canceled operations.
The epg123 is free, but you can donate to the author if you feel generous. I personally did donate him, because he was very responsive on the forum and actually fixed a couple of bugs that I have signaled in a quick update (basically in 24 hours).

As for the sending of the 7.1 PCM over HDMI to DVR, I don't know about DVR but your 2006 TV might not have that capability. Look above at my link for the capabilities of various HDMI versions.

PS: I don't know how long I will keep the cable subscription going on. I could not watch it today without a DVR, with so many stupid commercials. For now I have a 3 channel HD Homerun Prime (Cable Card) and a 4 channel HD Homerun Quatro (FTA) piping in video over my Gigabit Ethernet switches.

Last edited by SoNic67; 11-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
What you have now should support 7.1 assuming your playing a file that has it. Set you audio format to stereo so windows does no processing and make sure what ever player your using can bitstream so the AVR does the processing.
I mainly play WMC OTA recordings. I do not believe my MSI motherboard supports more than two channels through the onboard HDMI port, but I can't totally prove it, the manual tells me how to hook up the mini-analog plugs in a 7.1 configuration but says nothing about the onboard HDMI and what it supports. What I have found online is several people have had trouble getting it to work. I can't get it to see more than 2 channels when I go into windows audio settings. Here is what i have read on Amazon reviews about the board: "Description says 7.1 surround but beware, if you are using a full theater setup (gaming & media entertainment) with S/PDIF Optical Out it is only in Stereo and not surround. Surround is only with the mini analog plugs on the back." I am going into My Samsung plasma and it has an optical out that is 5.1 that goes to my receiver.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I mainly play WMC OTA recordings. I do not believe my MSI motherboard supports more than two channels through the onboard HDMI port, but I can't totally prove it, the manual tells me how to hook up the mini-analog plugs in a 7.1 configuration but says nothing about the onboard HDMI and what it supports. What I have found online is several people have had trouble getting it to work. I can't get it to see more than 2 channels when I go into windows audio settings. Here is what i have read on Amazon reviews about the board: "Description says 7.1 surround but beware, if you are using a full theater setup (gaming & media entertainment) with S/PDIF Optical Out it is only in Stereo and not surround. Surround is only with the mini analog plugs on the back." I am going into My Samsung plasma and it has an optical out that is 5.1 that goes to my receiver.
If your not using HDMI direct to the receiver all bets are off. The TV opt out only supports two channel stereo form the HDMI input. If your receiver is so old that it doesn't have HDMI it isn't going to work even with a separate video card. If the receiver does have HDMI run PC to AVR to TV thats the only way it will work. I am almost certain your current setup supports all audio formats via HDMI but the receiver/avr needs to decode it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #14 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If your not using HDMI direct to the receiver all bets are off. The TV opt out only supports two channel stereo form the HDMI input. If your receiver is so old that it doesn't have HDMI it isn't going to work even with a separate video card. If the receiver does have HDMI run PC to AVR to TV thats the only way it will work. I am almost certain your current setup supports all audio formats via HDMI but the receiver/avr needs to decode it.
Hey thanks, I read both posts. AVR is short for receiver, correct? Right now the hook up is HDMI to PC to Matrix to TV out of the tv via optical to the dinosaur onkyo receiver. (manual on this once $2000 plasma tv says the optical out is 5.1 if the HDMI source in is 5.1). I thought about bypassing the matrix and going direct to the TV via HDMI and see if that works but we are recording/watching the college games right now.

You may be right, new receiver may be needed.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) I guess it's possible the TV may pass lossy 5.1 from the HDMI inputs to the OPT out but I have never seen one that does. Most only support 5.1 from the internal tuner/apps and down convert the external HDMI inputs to stereo.

EDIT: You can't select anything from windows other then stereo because the PC sees the EDID from the TV that only supports stereo and I doubt the TV will accept bitstream either. This may also be an issue with multiple TVs connected as the PC will see the EDID from the lowest capable device.

Last edited by rekbones; 11-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) I guess it's possible the TV may pass lossy 5.1 from the HDMI inputs to the OPT out but I have never seen one that does. Most only support 5.1 from the internal tuner/apps and down convert the external HDMI inputs to stereo.

EDIT: You can't select anything from windows other then stereo because the PC sees the EDID from the TV that only supports stereo and I doubt the TV will accept bitstream either. This may also be an issue with multiple TVs connected as the PC will see the EDID from the lowest capable device.
EDID from the lowest capable device << This, yep, I have a 19" kitchen tv that would be the lowest...

So, then, I would need to put the PC to the AVR first and then to the matrix to prevent this, as you stated earlier. As long as I still get audio at everything else this way, this would work for me. and yes, several AVRs on ebay 4-5 years old that would work fine for $150 including shipping.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-30-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes all HDMI AVR's have a setting that allows it to pass the audio through to the output or strip it out and the EDID I think in the pass through mode will still be striped out so the PC only sees the EDID from the AVR but don't quote me on this. You might be safer to get an AVR with dual HDMI out and many do. Primary HDMI to main TV and secondary HDMI to Matrix.

post #18 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 508
In almost all the cases, an AVR configured to passthrough audio to TV will have its own EDID set to 2-ch stereo only.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-01-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5450 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
I think this is the conclusion, but no one has stated it outright. Any video card that has HDMI audio support supports 7.1 audio. So there you have it. If you can play sound via HDMI, it supports 7.1. The rest is configuration between playback software, EDID, receiver capabilities, etc.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think this is the conclusion, but no one has stated it outright. Any video card that has HDMI audio support supports 7.1 audio. So there you have it. If you can play sound via HDMI, it supports 7.1. The rest is configuration between playback software, EDID, receiver capabilities, etc.
So the Mobo HDMI out should support 7.1 as well? I think the first thing I need to do is update my surround sound.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-03-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5450 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
Quote:
So the Mobo HDMI out should support 7.1 as well? I think the first thing I need to do is update my surround sound.
If the motherboard supports HDMI sound output *at all* it supports 7.1, atmos, etc. You'd just bitstream it out to the receiver not decode it in windows.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page