Does Windows 10 support audio out of two different ports or is that MB specific? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does Windows 10 support audio out of two different ports or is that MB specific?

I am curious if Windows 10 allows you to have audio out of two different ports at the same time, for example, HDMI and the optical port, or if this is specific to the mother board. My setup requires me to have both due to multiple rooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I assume you are running the same audio output from the PC using two different outputs. I'm not sure if you can run two different audio signals to separate outputs on your PC. Your best solution would be to have a receiver that has multiple zones that allow you to feed the same audio signal to different rooms. Lots of AV receivers have this option AFAIK.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I assume you are running the same audio output from the PC using two different outputs. I'm not sure if you can run two different audio signals to separate outputs on your PC. Your best solution would be to have a receiver that has multiple zones that allow you to feed the same audio signal to different rooms. Lots of AV receivers have this option AFAIK.
Appreciate the response, Yes, same audio out from the PC to two different outputs, is that possible with windows 10? Going to have to update to windows 10 in about 6 weeks and abandon WMC. From the HTPC, I don't need to run two different audio or video signals for now (maybe when the kids get older), just two of the same audio. I use a 4x4 matrix which feeds all my TVs in my house, and my current receiver does not have HDMI in/out. Receivers that can feed 4 TVs via HDMI matrix style are way out of my price range but I appreciate the idea. I could easily get a high end 6-8 year old used receiver for under $200 to solve a one output HDMI requirement if it has to work that way and that would fix my problem. But I can save $200 if windows 10 will let me use the optical out and HDMI out both for the same audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I honestly don't know if either version of Windows will support simultaneous outputs via HDMI and optical. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see if it works.

May I ask why you feel the need to abandon Windows 7 and switch to Windows 10? If it's because of the guide data running out then I highly recommend looking into EPG123. It uses the guide data from Schedules Direct and imports it into WMC. A Schedules Direct subscription costs $25 per year. EPG123 is free and can be found here:

http://epg123.garyan2.net/

I've been using it for about two years now and it's a vast improvement over the Rovi guide data supplied by Microsoft. I have no intention of dropping WMC or Windows 7 anytime in the foreseeable future. I divorced myself from Microsoft's support years ago and couldn't be happier.

Are you trying to feed four TVs with the same signal or four different signals? Are you using a single PC to feed all four of your TVs? I'm not exactly sure what your setup is or what you're trying to accomplish. If your AV receiver doesn't support HDMI then it is woefully outdated and you might want to consider replacing it with a newer model.

I have one primary HTPC set up for my home theater and several 1st generation Intel NUC small form factor HTPCs that feed the rest of my TVs. They all run Windows 7 with WMC and EPG123. I record all of my shows on the primary HTPC and the Recorded TV folder on that PC can be shared with all of the other HTPCs running WMC. I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner that is shared between the NUCs for live TV and a Ceton InfiniTV6 cablecard tuner in the main HTPC for recording from FIOS. I have an unRAID server with tons of media files that can be accessed from any of the HTPCs. I have a full 7.1 surround setup in my home theater, a Vizio 2.1 soundbar on the family room TV, and a direct connection using the TV speakers in the master bedroom. I also have a NUC connected to a small TV mounted in front of our treadmill for watching videos while exercising. I also have a couple of Nvidia Shields for streaming content online that can also use Plex to play content from my unRAID server.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2019, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I honestly don't know if either version of Windows will support simultaneous outputs via HDMI and optical. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see if it works.

May I ask why you feel the need to abandon Windows 7 and switch to Windows 10? If it's because of the guide data running out then I highly recommend looking into EPG123. It uses the guide data from Schedules Direct and imports it into WMC. A Schedules Direct subscription costs $25 per year. EPG123 is free and can be found here:

http://epg123.garyan2.net/

I've been using it for about two years now and it's a vast improvement over the Rovi guide data supplied by Microsoft. I have no intention of dropping WMC or Windows 7 anytime in the foreseeable future. I divorced myself from Microsoft's support years ago and couldn't be happier.
Great question and maybe you can help me with my logic. I am considering abandoning it due to the fact that this system also acts as a NAS server and I am concerned about security holes in the future

Quote:
Are you trying to feed four TVs with the same signal or four different signals? Are you using a single PC to feed all four of your TVs? I'm not exactly sure what your setup is or what you're trying to accomplish. If your AV receiver doesn't support HDMI then it is woefully outdated and you might want to consider replacing it with a newer model.
My setup is a 4x4 matrix which feeds the house the NAS WMC-PC fed by HDHomeRun (4-tuner), a Blu-Ray, a Nintendo Wii (which actually does work all over the house and my 10 and 5 year old love it.), and an open port. I use the matrix and a set of harmony remotes to control the "matrix hub" from other rooms The main living room has the an old Onkyo from like 2001 which is starting to fail. The TV takes the HDMI and sends optical to the receiver. I don't think I can currently get anything more than 2 channels to my receiver because my MB only allows 2 channels via HDMI (according to someone on amazon, the manual only talks to 7.1 via the audio ports, not HDMI). With my HTPC, my 5.1 setup seems to come strong to the center channel and the front and rear lefts and rights all sound the same.

Quote:
I have one primary HTPC set up for my home theater and several 1st generation Intel NUC small form factor HTPCs that feed the rest of my TVs. They all run Windows 7 with WMC and EPG123. I record all of my shows on the primary HTPC and the Recorded TV folder on that PC can be shared with all of the other HTPCs running WMC. I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime cablecard tuner that is shared between the NUCs for live TV and a Ceton InfiniTV6 cablecard tuner in the main HTPC for recording from FIOS. I have an unRAID server with tons of media files that can be accessed from any of the HTPCs. I have a full 7.1 surround setup in my home theater, a Vizio 2.1 soundbar on the family room TV, and a direct connection using the TV speakers in the master bedroom. I also have a NUC connected to a small TV mounted in front of our treadmill for watching videos while exercising. I also have a couple of Nvidia Shields for streaming content online that can also use Plex to play content from my unRAID server.
Wooooow! I am going to have to study what you did as far as file sharing and inputs, my matrix seams to be working for me, but when the kids get older they will probably want to use the HTPC at the same time I do. I would like to do more with my HTPC via streaming, I just use it to DVR OTA (primarily football) right now
post #6 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Windows hasn't allowed simultaneous sound devices since Windows XP. I used to run a USB DAC to an integrated amp and onboard audio to computer speakers back then. With Vista and newer you have to go into the control panel and switch audio devices manually each and every time. I wish Microsoft would bring this capability back. It was very convenient. As a result I haven't used dedicated computer speakers since 2005.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Jriver media center on Windows 10 will allow you to do what you want.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #8 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
Windows hasn't allowed simultaneous sound devices since Windows XP. I used to run a USB DAC to an integrated amp and onboard audio to computer speakers back then. With Vista and newer you have to go into the control panel and switch audio devices manually each and every time. I wish Microsoft would bring this capability back. It was very convenient. As a result I haven't used dedicated computer speakers since 2005.
Thanks, sounds like I need to get the onboard HDMI to work beyond 2 channels or get a new video card and run the audio through that. Or get a receiver that can accept HDMI (mine is very old), or both a video card and a new receiver.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-30-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
Thanks, sounds like I need to get the onboard HDMI to work beyond 2 channels or get a new video card and run the audio through that. Or get a receiver that can accept HDMI (mine is very old), or both a video card and a new receiver.
Like I said in the other post all you need is a AVR that has HDMI. Run PC to AVR to Matrix switch via HDMI. Set receiver to pass audio thru so the other TV's will get audio. Or run PC to Matrix switch to AVR to TV and set AVR to not pass audio. Older used AVR's that have 1.4 HDMI are dirt cheap. Your current AVR is a dinosaur.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Jriver media center on Windows 10 will allow you to do what you want.
This. It is software dependent not OS dependent. JRiver will allow you to link two out zones, and each zone can be a different audio device.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
This. It is software dependent not OS dependent. JRiver will allow you to link two out zones, and each zone can be a different audio device.
Thanks I will have to check into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page