• 1 Post By brazen1

post #1 of 17 Old 12-06-2019, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K bluray and HTPC

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of building a huge capacity HTPC to digitise my collection of Bluray, as my bluray player will at some point die and it a lot more convenient to have original 1:1 rips of the disk on a RAID array.

As a quite a Linux Guy, I was thinking of using Linux + Kodi + whatever front end to play the Blurays, but I would like a reliable solution as the ones that I had on hte past never worked 100%

Any ideas?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-06-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Orfao View Post
Hi everyone.

I am thinking of building a huge capacity HTPC to digitise my collection of Bluray, as my bluray player will at some point die and it a lot more convenient to have original 1:1 rips of the disk on a RAID array.

As a quite a Linux Guy, I was thinking of using Linux + Kodi + whatever front end to play the Blurays, but I would like a reliable solution as the ones that I had on hte past never worked 100%

Any ideas?

Thank you
I'm a "Linux guy" myself, but I use the right tool for the right job and currently Windows is your best bet for media digitization and playback.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 17 Old 12-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Can't speak to any solution with Linux however if you are looking to do ISO copies of UHD blu-ray's, you will not be able to play that back on anything other than (current) Intel based windows system running Powerdvd connected via current hdmi with hdcp.
You can rip them (with the right drive and sofware on windows, don't know if any of it runs on a a linux distro) and play them back but nothing (that I'm aware of) supports Dolby Vision so you will be limited to HDR10.
For playback of the ripped collection to the TV using something like Nvidia shield, accessing off a NAS or main system's storage will generally be a better experience (and cheaper) than trying to setup and maintain a HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Windows + makemkv + Emby/Kodi is what you need.

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
post #5 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 5676 Post(s)
Liked: 3727
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Any ideas?

Thank you
You want a windows pc for playback so you can utilize and benefit from madVR.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Can't speak to any solution with Linux however if you are looking to do ISO copies of UHD blu-ray's, you will not be able to play that back on anything other than (current) Intel based windows system running Powerdvd connected via current hdmi with hdcp.
You can rip them (with the right drive and sofware on windows, don't know if any of it runs on a a linux distro) and play them back but nothing (that I'm aware of) supports Dolby Vision so you will be limited to HDR10.
For playback of the ripped collection to the TV using something like Nvidia shield, accessing off a NAS or main system's storage will generally be a better experience (and cheaper) than trying to setup and maintain a HTPC.
All popular players playback UHD iso main movie including DVDFab Media Player offering complete menus without specialized hardware although nVidia and AMD GPU's simplify and diversify setups using Windows O/S since just about all software is Windows based.

Imo, a proper HTPC provides local playback greatly simplifying setups while providing sharing options to clients if desired. A NAS is just another piece of hardware to expense and maintain that isn't required nor necessary although some will deem that subjective. I wouldn't consider it a generally better experience anymore than using a device which is not going to achieve the same diversity and quality as a properly tuned HTPC.

Once an HTPC is setup, it's done. Many complain there is excessive maintenance due to software updates, mainly Windows. 99.9% of the time software updates are the quick blame scapegoat but in reality user error elsewhere was the true blame. You have the option of tinkering with it as new techniques are offered which many enthusiasts enjoy. As ones learning curve expands you will find yourself tinkering.

An HTPC can be upgraded as new offerings arise and they are desired. An upgrade for an HTPC seldom requires anything more than a video card which can provide excellent results for many years surviving new formats and software introductions. Mainboards, PSU's, RAM, CPU's etc. have little to do with audio/video playback but can be easily repaired should a component fail which is rare.

If one has zero desire to delve into an HTPC, a device is not a better choice... it's the only choice aside from built in streaming apps which is a jump down a different rabbit hole. Of course firmware/software updates help survival but only for so long. Sooner than later they end up discarded and replaced entirely once end of life rears. Meanwhile, the HTPC is still on the cutting edge chugging away.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #7 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
All popular players playback UHD iso main movie including DVDFab Media Player offering complete menus without specialized hardware although nVidia and AMD GPU's simplify and diversify setups using Windows O/S since just about all software is Windows based.

Imo, a proper HTPC provides local playback greatly simplifying setups while providing sharing options to clients if desired. A NAS is just another piece of hardware to expense and maintain that isn't required nor necessary although some will deem that subjective. I wouldn't consider it a generally better experience anymore than using a device which is not going to achieve the same diversity and quality as a properly tuned HTPC.

Once an HTPC is setup, it's done. Many complain there is excessive maintenance due to software updates, mainly Windows. 99.9% of the time software updates are the quick blame scapegoat but in reality user error elsewhere was the true blame. You have the option of tinkering with it as new techniques are offered which many enthusiasts enjoy. As ones learning curve expands you will find yourself tinkering.

An HTPC can be upgraded as new offerings arise and they are desired. An upgrade for an HTPC seldom requires anything more than a video card which can provide excellent results for many years surviving new formats and software introductions. Mainboards, PSU's, RAM, CPU's etc. have little to do with audio/video playback but can be easily repaired should a component fail which is rare.

If one has zero desire to delve into an HTPC, a device is not a better choice... it's the only choice aside from built in streaming apps which is a jump down a different rabbit hole. Of course firmware/software updates help survival but only for so long. Sooner than later they end up discarded and replaced entirely once end of life rears. Meanwhile, the HTPC is still on the cutting edge chugging away.
Agreed, built my HTPC over seven years ago and it's still going strong. One GPU upgrade in that span and a few extra hdds as capacity was needed. My HTPC plays 4K UHDs in bit for bit full quality with HDR and lots of MadVR settings turned up. It can also stream those same movies anywhere in my house over WAN with zero lag. HTPC goodness !

Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
post #8 of 17 Old 12-09-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 444
I personally use MakeMKV and JRiver Media Center on a Windows 10 PC for 4k playback. JRMC uses madVR so all I had to do was tweak it for my setup. I use MakeMKV to rip the main movie and forced subtitles as well as any English subtitles if it's a foreign movie. I tried iso playback years ago and ran into all kinds of issues with it such as freezing and stuttering using PowerDVD. Obviously others have had much better success than me in that area. I tried MakeMKV with Kodi and never had an issue. It's funny how sometimes the free software just seems to work better than the commercial stuff you have to pay for. I convert everything to mkv files now and never have any problems with playback. You can use Kodi, JRiver, VLC Media Player, MPC-HC, MPC-BE, and a host of other programs for 4k playback. Many of them work with madVR.

I use HTPCs on every TV in my house plus an unRAID server (currently at 155 TB and counting) for streaming content to all of them over my home network. I have a primary HTPC that runs Windows 7 with WMC for recording TV shows from FIOS and OTA using a HDHR Quatro and a Ceton InfiniTV6 tuner. The other HTPCs are all 1st generation Intel NUCs that share a HDHomeRun Prime tuner for live TV. They can also share shows recorded on the primary HTPC except any copy protected content such as HBO or any of the Fox network channels.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 AM

You sure are Captain video !

Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
post #10 of 17 Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any HTPC-based solution right now that allows Dolby Vision playback? My impression is that some people are using ISO UHD rips with Oppo players to accomplish this, but I'd rather not shell out for a standalone player if I can figure out an HTPC solution.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-09-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
Is there any HTPC-based solution right now that allows Dolby Vision playback? My impression is that some people are using ISO UHD rips with Oppo players to accomplish this, but I'd rather not shell out for a standalone player if I can figure out an HTPC solution.
There is a DV solution, but it currently requires a lossy conversion. Not worthwhile.
The Huntsman likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
post #12 of 17 Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
There is but it's kind of half baked at the moment. I've got a UB820 so if I feel the need to watch in Dolby vision I have that option but most people would probably agree that DV is not all that different from HDR10 right now.

Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
post #13 of 17 Old 12-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
There is but it's kind of half baked at the moment. I've got a UB820 so if I feel the need to watch in Dolby vision I have that option but most people would probably agree that DV is not all that different from HDR10 right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
There is a DV solution, but it currently requires a lossy conversion. Not worthwhile.
Thanks to both of you. I guess I'll stick with MakeMKV rips and Kodi.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks to both of you. I guess I'll stick with MakeMKV rips and Kodi.
The problem with MKV rips is that you will never be able to play those back with DV where an .iso rip may be able to use DV in the future.

post #15 of 17 Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
The problem with MKV rips is that you will never be able to play those back with DV where an .iso rip may be able to use DV in the future.
Why is that? MakeMKV is a lossless conversion and all it does it place the files in a new container. I would think that if the original iso files were encoded with Dolby Vision then they should still be playable in that format with an MKV file.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-11-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Why is that? MakeMKV is a lossless conversion and all it does it place the files in a new container. I would think that if the original iso files were encoded with Dolby Vision then they should still be playable in that format with an MKV file.
It does not include all files

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

post #17 of 17 Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The conversion to mkv isn't simply replacing the container. The process looses the entire file structure.
mlknez likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page