WMC losing guide data Jan 2020 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
No guide data problems on any of my HTPCs using EPG123. It never loses guide data or runs short. It's well worth the $25 annual subscription to Schedules Direct.
robn1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks from me as well. I am thinking like you about the hardware topic. My HTPC is now 8 years old and if it blows a Main board (H67M) or processor it will not be easy to find replacements. That means new equipment for both, most likely so am asking myself if not better to make a "preemptive strike" now while the system is still running. By the way I installed the EPG 123 last month and could not be happier.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #33 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
No guide data problems on any of my HTPCs using EPG123. It never loses guide data or runs short. It's well worth the $25 annual subscription to Schedules Direct.
waiting until after the bowl season for EPG123 - when there is my lull in recording in January
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
The first seven days are free, and there are a bunch of new shows in January, so you may not want to wait too long.
Michael
post #35 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
waiting until after the bowl season for EPG123 - when there is my lull in recording in January
Why wait? Installing EPG is not a difficult or lengthy process. You install EPG123 and then rerun the WMC TV signal setup but do not accept the terms of the guide data agreement. It will tell you that you need to find an alternative method of acquiring guide data but all you do is acknowledge that and then finish the TV signal setup. When that's done you open EPG123 and configure it so it can log into your Schedules Direct account to download the guide data. Configure your lineups for the channels you want included. Whatever you setup on the Schedules Direct website doesn't come into play here as it will download the complete guide listing except for any channels that you uncheck from the list. Note that if you have both cable or FIOS and OTA there will be two separate channel lineups so configure both of them. Select the options for how you want the data to be displayed in the listing. Set the number of days you want guide data to be included in the guide. You can go up to about 30 days, but you'll find that most channels will only provide a placeholder with no information much past 14 days. Make sure you check the box to automatically import the guide data. Set up a scheduled time that you want EPG123 to download the guide data and then save and execute the program. It will connect to Schedules Direct and process the data and automatically import it into WMC. If all goes well your guide will be populated with the data for the number of days you specified. If you go to settings and check the guide listing under TV signal it should indicate that EPG123 is supplying the guide data and it will indicate how long the data is good for.
post #36 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why wait?
because for the next few days i am going to be recording while I am home, I don't want to be installing and restarting while a recording is in process
post #37 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 513
For those with SiliconDust HDHR tuners, you can use EPG123 with the SD DVR subscription for guide. This allows you to have two recording systems side by side, SD's DVR service and WMC, for better transition and only pay one subscription. But I have to warn you that the documentation for using HDHR guide in EPG123 is quite scarce and you need to try a few times to get it right. I had it setup before Christmas and thought everything was set and done. Only to find out that the guide data wasn't updating itself and had to correct the scheduled task to pick a different exe file. In that process, I accidentally ran the manual update command and ended up have to re-setup the channel line up and restore the recording schedules from the backup.
post #38 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
because for the next few days i am going to be recording while I am home, I don't want to be installing and restarting while a recording is in process
If you're recording from cable channels (perhaps a free preview weekend?) then chances are you'll have ample opportunities to capture the shows you want to record since many of them are aired multiple times. If you have multiple tuners then you should have no problem taking a break for an hour or so to get EPG123 setup.
post #39 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you're recording from cable channels (perhaps a free preview weekend?) then chances are you'll have ample opportunities to capture the shows you want to record since many of them are aired multiple times. If you have multiple tuners then you should have no problem taking a break for an hour or so to get EPG123 setup.
back to back 4 hour football games....
post #40 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Today the data ran completely out, but only hours later I'm back with just under 2 weeks of guide data so it's back.
anyone else get their data to repopulate?
post #41 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
No, I tried several times to manually download from MS over the last couple of days -- but nothing. Went ahead and did the inevitable and installed epg123 last night. Took a couple of hours, though, because the JSON server was having issues at Schedules Direct apparently (notice posted to top of website). That and I was having issues getting the lineups for my ZIP to populate, and the .mxf file to build after that. After trying several times for each, I rebooted my system and -- voila -- it worked as advertised. Admittedly it is much better guide data (and logos, too!)

So even though the install procedures don't specify it, you may need to reboot several times if things aren't working to specs.
post #42 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
back to back 4 hour football games....
Are you recording them to keep and watch later or just so you can fast forward through commercials? I always record football games and then start watching them anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes after they've started. That way I can hit my 30-second skip function five times whenever there's a commercial break and I'm right back to the action. A 45-minute delay is perfect for most games because it allows me to skip every commercial plus zip through half-time. By the time I hit the final 2-minute warning I'm all caught up and back to live action.

The NFL has extended their commercial breaks from 2 minutes to 2-1/2 minutes for all regular games. They all used to be 2 minutes except for the break at the 2-minute warning, which was always 2-1/2 minutes. They've even thrown in a bunch of 30-second commercials spots that are shown whenever there's a slowdown in the action, but they don't break away from the game. Instead, they show a split window with the video on the field being shown in a small window like they used to do with picture-in-picture. I have no idea how long the breaks are for college football games as I rarely watch them.
post #43 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Does it run out on January 14th?

Yes why?

BTW before I decide if I want EPG123 with WMC working normally again I have two questions:

-I'm still using a 10 year old PC with Windows 7, in the next few years I'll eventually upgrade to Windows 10, can you still have WMC with TV in Windows 10? If not then I probably won't bother with EPG123 and just switch to an entirely new system that will work on Windows 10

-I heard that if you install EPG123, you need to clear your entire recording schedule and restart from scratch, that means for an entire year as shows restart I'm going to have to manually remember that X show starts on Y date and to schedule it, is this true? This is probably the main reason I never installed EPG123.

Thanks
post #44 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 2629
Quote:
Yes why?
January 14th is the end of support for Win7. I was curious of they set that as the last day of guide data as well.
post #45 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
January 14th is the end of support for Win7. I was curious of they set that as the last day of guide data as well.

Hopefully it's just a coincidence as Jan 14 is about 2 weeks away and would be the likely end date either case.
post #46 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Yes why?

BTW before I decide if I want EPG123 with WMC working normally again I have two questions:

-I'm still using a 10 year old PC with Windows 7, in the next few years I'll eventually upgrade to Windows 10, can you still have WMC with TV in Windows 10? If not then I probably won't bother with EPG123 and just switch to an entirely new system that will work on Windows 10

-I heard that if you install EPG123, you need to clear your entire recording schedule and restart from scratch, that means for an entire year as shows restart I'm going to have to manually remember that X show starts on Y date and to schedule it, is this true? This is probably the main reason I never installed EPG123.

Thanks
epg123 has had the ability to preserve your recording schedule for a couple of years now.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #47 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
As recently as yesterday, it was discussed here that WMC has been ported to Win10 (but NOT supported by MS). Everything works fine.
EPG123 makes a backup of your schedule and loads it after installation.
You can try the program for 7 days without paying anything to make sure it does what you want. I just made the switch and I'm very impressed.
Michael
post #48 of 87 Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 346
http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/step3p2/

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

post #49 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes why?

Thanks
If you're concerned about losing your recording schedule then there are methods of preserving it:

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Back it up before installing EPG123 and then restore it afterwards if something borks it.
post #50 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked: 4568
Installed epg123 a week ago and it did keep my scheduled recordings. What it didn't do was properly configure VHF stations (which they warn you might happen). Fixing the VHF stations was somewhat laborious as you have to manually configure them in 123 AND in WMC. For me, that took three tries over two days as it wouldn't stick. Looked great, then the next day recordings were missing because - sometime later - it "lost" the VHF channels. On the third attempt, it stuck and is still there, though I check it somewhat often to be sure.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #51 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Threads merged.

post #52 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you recording them to keep and watch later or just so you can fast forward through commercials? I always record football games and then start watching them anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes after they've started. That way I can hit my 30-second skip function five times whenever there's a commercial break and I'm right back to the action. A 45-minute delay is perfect for most games because it allows me to skip every commercial plus zip through half-time. By the time I hit the final 2-minute warning I'm all caught up and back to live action.

The NFL has extended their commercial breaks from 2 minutes to 2-1/2 minutes for all regular games. They all used to be 2 minutes except for the break at the 2-minute warning, which was always 2-1/2 minutes. They've even thrown in a bunch of 30-second commercials spots that are shown whenever there's a slowdown in the action, but they don't break away from the game. Instead, they show a split window with the video on the field being shown in a small window like they used to do with picture-in-picture. I have no idea how long the breaks are for college football games as I rarely watch them.
I record them to archive them to blu-ray disc.

I really don't need a tutorial about things, I will get the EPG123 in mid-January, not today, not tomorrow...
post #53 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Installed epg123 a week ago and it did keep my scheduled recordings. What it didn't do was properly configure VHF stations (which they warn you might happen). Fixing the VHF stations was somewhat laborious as you have to manually configure them in 123 AND in WMC. For me, that took three tries over two days as it wouldn't stick. Looked great, then the next day recordings were missing because - sometime later - it "lost" the VHF channels. On the third attempt, it stuck and is still there, though I check it somewhat often to be sure.
When you say VHF, you are still receiving OTA channels with an antenna?
post #54 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2313 Post(s)
Liked: 2629
Quote:
I don't know what DrDon is using but I have trouble with WMC detecting my CBS virtual channel 3.1 on FiOS QAM during the channel scan part of setup. I have to use Guide Tool to manually add that channel. I've done it enough times to have memorized it is on physical channel 63.1143.
billmich likes this.
post #55 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Apparently WMC doesn't scan the VHF channels even though it appears to. Any OTA channels still broadcasting on VHF frequencies will have to be manually added to the guide. It's not all that difficult and nowhere near as laborious as others have mentioned.

To add a missing VHF channel, go to Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Add Missing Channels.

Select the option to Add DTV Channel

Add the number of the channel as it would appear in the guide (e.g. 9.1) and click Next

Enter the broadcast frequency of the channel (e.g. 9) and click Next. You can get the broadcast frequency from Antennaweb.org, TVFool.com, Rabbitears.com, and probably a few others.

Enter the name of the channel (e.g. WUSADT) and click Add.

You'll be taken back to the screen to either add more channels or click Done when you're finished.

I don't recall if the channels you just added show up in the guide right away, but if they do there won't be any guide data for them yet. You need to rerun EPG123 to download and import the data again for the new channels.

Note that any time you rerun TV Signal setup in WMC you will have to go in and add these channels back in again.

I'm not sure how this works with additional sub-channels (i.e., 9.2, 9.3, etc.) as I have never actually tried to add one, but I believe you would just change the displayed channel number to indicate the desired sub-channel and the actual frequency would be the same as the primary VHF channel (i.e., 9). The name of the sub-channel would be different as well (i.e., WUSADT2)

Update: I just tried adding a sub-channel using the method I just described and it works exactly as I indicated. The new channel number and call sign are listed in the guide right after you add them and it says No data available just as I would expect. I just reran EPG123 manually and I still get No data available for the newly added sub-channel, but I'm not all that concerned at this point. I have found that running EPG123 manually does not always provide the results I expect. If I just let it run automatically at the scheduled time it always seems to get the data I want so I'm just going to let it run overnight as scheduled and check it again in the morning.

Last edited by captain_video; 01-03-2020 at 09:11 AM.
post #56 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep, and half of them here in Tampa are VHF. Ok, not half, but 3 of the Big Four networks are.

post #57 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Something I noticed since switching to epg123 for guide data is that a little icon now appears on the WMC main menu screen in the lower right-hand corner. It looks like a little TV with rabbit ears and a big yellow exclamation point in the TV frame. It also has the current date listed under the icon. I can't select it with the remote, and it disappears when I try and use a mouse to click it. It would appear to be a warning icon related to guide data, but I've never run across it before. Anyone else know what this is? Or more specifically, how to get it to go away?

Epg123 otherwise appears to be working well. Full guide data and most of my sceduled recordings transferred automatically.
post #58 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post
Something I noticed since switching to epg123 for guide data is that a little icon now appears on the WMC main menu screen in the lower right-hand corner. It looks like a little TV with rabbit ears and a big yellow exclamation point in the TV frame. It also has the current date listed under the icon. I can't select it with the remote, and it disappears when I try and use a mouse to click it. It would appear to be a warning icon related to guide data, but I've never run across it before. Anyone else know what this is? Or more specifically, how to get it to go away?

Epg123 otherwise appears to be working well. Full guide data and most of my sceduled recordings transferred automatically.

I believe this describes what you're seeing: https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11994

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #59 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Don't need microsoft.
https://www.itechtics.com/windows-media-center/
and others.

Thanks! I can get it to work in windows 10 to play music but I cannot get it to play my recorded shows or watch TV. The link says it works on version 1903, I have 1903 on my laptop and 1909 on my HTPC, neither of them work except for music, they just crash when you try to watch life TV or recorded TV. Anyone else have success with windows 10 version 1909? I read the read me and work around files and it does not address this issue. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by caliskier; 01-03-2020 at 11:00 AM.
post #60 of 87 Old 01-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I believe this describes what you're seeing: https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11994
Yep, that's it. I'll look through the log file and see what's up. I did set it to download 21 days of content. I also only spot checked the guide, but did a better job of making sure scheduled recordings were appearing as expected. I'll take a closer look at the full guide -- probably something incomplete on a subchannel or something.

So if everything is working correctly, does the icon always appear on the menu screen (with a green indicator)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page