WMC losing guide data Jan 2020 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 2842
You watch a few HUNDRED channels?
Just the number is fine; everything will probably show up just fine, you just don't want to miss anything you might consider important. I had to add 6 and 12, for example. NBD.
The only thing affected in Media Center is the guide. Afterwards, when you check guide info, it even shows epg123 as the source. Continue to use WMC as before.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
You watch a few HUNDRED channels?
Just the number is fine; everything will probably show up just fine, you just don't want to miss anything you might consider important. I had to add 6 and 12, for example. NBD.
The only thing affected in Media Center is the guide. Afterwards, when you check guide info, it even shows epg123 as the source. Continue to use WMC as before.
Michael

I only watch maybe 3-5 channels, but I probably get a few hundred. The instruction page seems to be for a clean install, what about someone already using WMC with Rovi that wants to switch to EPG123?

There's also mention of channel matching, will it not know which channel is which after the upgrade or is it in rare cases only?
post #93 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Do a clean install. The whole idea is to get rid of Rovi.
You're making it more complicated that it is, as you can see from the previous posts.
Besides, don't really have a choice at this point.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do a clean install. The whole idea is to get rid of Rovi.
You're making it more complicated that it is, as you can see from the previous posts.
Besides, don't really have a choice at this point.
Michael

If by clean install you mean a full format and re-install of Windows, that's not happening, I would probably rather stop watching TV through cable than do that. My last format was over 10 years ago and I don't intend to reformat for at least another year or two.

Even if it's possible to clean install only WMC, I don't want to have to reschedule every TV show that's scheduled, I was specifically told here that it can import your current recording schedule.

What do you mean I have no choice? Can I not just install EPG123 and have it import my current recordings?

Edit: I just read "If a Hauppauge Colossus HD PVR software tuner is installed, the software tuner configuration files located in C:\ProgramData\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService are deleted as well."

What does this mean? Does it not work if I use a Hauppage Colossus, which is what I use?

Also, the instructions are written as if we already know everything about EPG123 when I know nothing about it. For example it says I can install epg123.exe or hdhr2mxf.exe or epg123Client.exe but how am I supposed to know which of the three I need?

The instructions could be dramatically improved.

Last edited by aab1; 01-25-2020 at 12:57 PM.
post #95 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Why can I not post on the green button forums? It says something like "Enable javascript (it is). Dangerous network (it isn't). Don't use a VPN (I don't)."
post #96 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM

No, it's a clean install of epg123, not windows or media center.
It copies your scheduled recordings and imports them.
AFAIK, there are no other guide options; certainly nothing better.
I use an HDHomerun (not their software), so I can't help you with the Colossus.
I've never posted on green button, so I'll defer to others.
Michael
post #97 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Why can I not post on the green button forums? It says something like "Enable javascript (it is). Dangerous network (it isn't). Don't use a VPN (I don't)."
I just posted without issue. Is this a new account? If so, could it be related to this:
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums...136621#p136621

Are you posting from outside the US?
post #98 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, it's a clean install of epg123, not windows or media center.
It copies your scheduled recordings and imports them.
AFAIK, there are no other guide options; certainly nothing better.
I use an HDHomerun (not their software), so I can't help you with the Colossus.
I've never posted on green button, so I'll defer to others.
Michael

Ok, you had me worried. A moderator at the greenbutton resolved my posting issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I just posted without issue. Is this a new account? If so, could it be related to this:
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums...136621#p136621

Are you posting from outside the US?

Edit: I noticed the video on the epg123 website says it will delete all scheduled recordings, how do you install it without losing all recordings as has been said is possible?

Thanks

Last edited by aab1; 01-25-2020 at 05:11 PM.
post #99 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Ok, you had me worried. A moderator at the greenbutton resolved my posting issue.

Edit: I noticed the video on the epg123 website says it will delete all scheduled recordings, how do you install it without losing all recordings as has been said is possible?

Thanks
I think it's saying you'll need to setup your scheduled recordings again. It's not deleting actual recorded TV of past shows.
post #100 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
I think it's saying you'll need to setup your scheduled recordings again. It's not deleting actual recorded TV of past shows.

I know but that's what I don't want to have to redo. I was told this was possible.

Edit:

So far I subscribed to Schedules Direct and installed EPG123, when I open the client I see two lists of channels but it's not clear what these two lists are, how I connect it to my schedules direct account, and how I do all this while keeping my recording schedule?

I feel like I'm just a few steps away from being done but don't want to accidentally wipe my recording schedule.

Edit 2:

I just opened EPG123 Configuration and I see this is where I enter my SD account info. I'm still not sure what I need to do in these 2 different programs.

When I open the EPG123 Transfer tool, all the channels in the right pane are in red and the left pane is blank. Does this mean I can transfer my recordings or do I need to do something before they can be transferred?

Last edited by aab1; 01-25-2020 at 06:48 PM.
post #101 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I know but that's what I don't want to have to redo
What do you think is going to happen the day you no longer receive EPG ?

Quote:
I only watch maybe 3-5 channels
It's really that difficult redoing recordings?

Good Luck...
post #102 of 127 Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
What do you think is going to happen the day you no longer receive EPG ?

It's really that difficult redoing recordings?

Good Luck...

I don't get what you mean by what will happen when I no longer get EPG, do you mean the end of Rovi in a few days, or are you talking about when EPG123/Schedules Direct will themselves end?

Yes it is that difficult because I have close to 100 different shows in the schedule, and most of them don't play year-round, so as every show restarts throughout the year I would have to remember to add them, which is unlikely to happen as I don't watch ads and just wouldn't know when which show restarts so I would start missing most of my shows until I somehow remember to add them when they restart. The way I know a show has restarted is when WMC starts recording it automatically.

In any case I was told there's a way to import the recording schedule which would save me an entire year of having to remember to reschedule shows manually, so yes it's really that difficult redoing the recordings, literally a year long job I'd really rather avoid doing.
post #103 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 680
It's easy. It took about an hour,

Follow the instructions - there's a PDF guide that was easier for me to follow. Unless you have multiple wmc installations, you will be doing the client and server on the same machine (the server fetches the guide data, the cline imports it into wmc).

You are doing a clean install of epg123, not windows. So just follow the instructions. Click step 1 which will clean up wmc and start fresh. It also makes a backup of your wmc configuration. Step 2 will take place in wmc and EPG will launch wmc automatically. The setup will be right beside it. You click that, then click "I do not agree" on the setup. This will download setup data, but by not agreeing it will reject it. This is ok. Go through with the rest of setup. When it comes to detecting channels, leave it - it must detect all 10,000 channels (this was not clear in the docs).

Don't worry,this will all fix itself in short order. After setup is done, close wmc, it's been prepped for epg123. The rest of the configuration is in the server app for now where you log into schedules direct, get the right lineup, and download the data. The data will be processed and all that. At this point, it will then ask about your season passes - it will try to line up as many as it can automatically. The ones that say "manual" are manual recordings and can't be fixed up. But the ones that are automatic can. Epg123 will try to line up the ones it can but there will be a few it can't. You highlight the few it can't, and manually search for it. If it's a show that's cancelled, you can't recreate the season pass. It works fairly well - the ones it can't fix up usually are shows that have similar titles or are named slightly differently. The poor quality of rovi data is partially the cause - show names get misspelled or abbreviated wrongly so an exact title match that epg123 uses will fail. The manual match lets you find the right show.

And after that you let it process and go. The client app will start up and you'll see the list of channels and the list of schedule channels, and they will be matched up. I use match by channel numbers as I'm on cable and it corrects for the changes in station names.

It's a simple process,really. Epg123 has been around for years and the setup process has been simplified greatly and it's quite painless.

If you're really unsure, make a system backup before you start so you can easily revert. And pick a day when you have fewer recordings and at least a couple of hours before a recording is to start, so you have plenty of time to set it up before potentially losing the recording,

It's easy. And there's lots of documentation.
post #104 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
It's easy. It took about an hour

I just did it, all I have left to do is go uncheck the channels I don't get in WMC so it doesn't record on channels I don't have (I realize I could have done this during EPG123 setup I believe but I like having the guide data for other channels as I may decide to add them if I see anything interesting).

Somehow it seems like it transferred my recording schedule automatically as they are all still there after setting up EPG123, I thought it would require additional steps.

Thanks everyone for the help as this was a bit stressful for me as this is also my work PC (use LCD monitor to work and switch to 106" front projection to use as an HTPC) and I didn't want anything to go wrong.

Edit: I just realized only the most popular TV shows were transferred to the new recording schedule, or about 28 out of over 50, I knew it was too good to be true but at least most transferred flawlessly.
post #105 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

I was wondering, will I get some sort of reminder in a year before I need to pay to renew or will I just wake up one day and notice none of my shows are recording anymore if I don't remember before it runs out?
post #106 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I was wondering, will I get some sort of reminder in a year before I need to pay to renew or will I just wake up one day and notice none of my shows are recording anymore if I don't remember before it runs out?
This past fall we received three notices that our SD subscription was expiring, the first one arriving 30 days before the expiration date. Then when we renewed, they sent an acknowledgment of that. So you'll be well covered.
post #107 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
This past fall we received three notices that our SD subscription was expiring, the first one arriving 30 days before the expiration date. Then when we renewed, they sent an acknowledgment of that. So you'll be well covered.

By email I assume?

Thanks
post #108 of 127 Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
By email I assume?

Thanks
Yup, it was all done by e-mail.
post #109 of 127 Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 5019
FWIW, every subscription I have gets its renewal date stuck in my phone's calendar. I can easily miss an e-mail or have it wind up in my spam folder, but those nags from the phone get my attention.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #110 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
The pop-up message telling me to switch to a different guide data provider is driving me crazy.
I'm getting it just about every time I push a button on my remote.
post #111 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 10:50 AM

And I'm driving my wife crazy, screaming at the set every time it shows up.
post #112 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
The pop-up message telling me to switch to a different guide data provider is driving me crazy.
With all of the advance warning you received about Windows 7 EOL and the multitude of posts about epg123, you would think some people would have gotten the message about making the switch. There are no nag messages with epg123. Bite the bullet and pony up the 25 bucks. You'll thank me in the end.
post #113 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Same here. I feel your pain. First the insult of dropping the guide, now MS has to add injury by reminding us every second. Bad behavior and business practice.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #114 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
With all of the advance warning you received about Windows 7 EOL and the multitude of posts about epg123, you would think some people would have gotten the message about making the switch. There are no nag messages with epg123. Bite the bullet and pony up the 25 bucks. You'll thank me in the end.
I switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct years ago. I'm still getting the popup.
post #115 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct years ago. I'm still getting the popup.
Did you turn off Windows Updates? I have never seen a popup about switching to another guide provider on any of my Windows 7 HTPCs.
post #116 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Bite the bullet and pony up the 25 bucks. You'll thank me in the end.
Sorry, but using epg123 doesn't stop the pop-up.
I'd even pay an extra $25 for that.
Michael
post #117 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, but using epg123 doesn't stop the pop-up.
I'd even pay an extra $25 for that.
Michael
That's weird because I have never seen the popup in question, but I turned off Windows Updates quite some time ago.
post #118 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you turn off Windows Updates?
No.

After getting the popup about 500 times it finally had a check box on it to not remind me again.
post #119 of 127 Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM

Now that's a check box I'm looking forward to seeing.
Thanks for giving me hope.

Got it tonight. Hallelujah.

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 01-31-2020 at 08:16 PM.
post #120 of 127 Old 02-01-2020, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Where is this checkbox?!?!!?

About the only thing I see now and again is a guide error that crashes wmc - it's quite reproducible by scrolling the guide to the same spot, and can be avoided if you skip over the part of the guide that causes the crash. I'm guessing it's some movie that has no program information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page