Bluray movie storage - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 12-29-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not unless he's telepathic.
I would think you would have to read something to get scared.
He can read posts without having to log in. If he's subscribed to the thread any new posts will be delivered to his inbox, depending on how he has notifications configured. He can read everything we've posted without ever having to visit the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 12-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hate MKV formatted files. I’m in the process of switching to M2TS and am pretty satisfied so far.
What’s so good about MKV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 52 Old 12-29-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
He can read posts without having to log in. If he's subscribed to the thread any new posts will be delivered to his inbox, depending on how he has notifications configured. He can read everything we've posted without ever having to visit the forum.
I forgot about that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzeami View Post
I hate MKV formatted files. I’m in the process of switching to M2TS and am pretty satisfied so far.
When I started ripping BD's way back when, I ripped to .m2ts because it was the native BluRay format and, at the time, MKV tools were immature and would give problems with some rips on my players -- pretty much not the case these days. I never had problems with .m2ts and I liked the tools I used so I stayed with it. Today 99% of my BD rips are .m2ts. My DVD rips, however are all MKV -- all TV shows.

So, for BD rips the only real advantage of MKV vs .m2ts is that MKV files contain the chapter points for skipping through the video. An .m2ts file has no chapter points. If you don't care about chapter points (I never did) MKV has no advantage.
lorenzeami likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #35 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What's not good about them? They work in just about any media player. I used to use iso files for playback of ripped Blu-Ray discs using PowerDVD but they suffered from constant freezing and stuttering. I tried MakeMKV and ended up converting my entire library to MKV files. They never freeze or stutter and I can play them on any device in my house over my network.
post #36 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Whatever setup you have is obviously not for a beginner and is a topic for a more advanced discussion thread.
Since you have no clue to what my setup is you have no way of knowing by your own admittance. Now the dozen or so beginners I communicated with via its related thread and privates messages over the last three years would disagree.

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what your argument is here since you never revealed anything about your hardware or software setup.
Which has been mentioned (numerous times) on purpose as I was passing on a few conclusions based on my own personal experience and experience from owning a tech company for 41 years. Rather than attempting to sell some solution I happen to use.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #37 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Considering the cost of 3000 bd disks he/she already has quite a bit invested.
This is not a simple thing to do for the inexperienced and if he/she is jumping into the deep end with no experience at all I think it can be a very daunting project as well as expensive.

But it has been fun and interesting to read about how we have handled this subject and our recommendations/suggestions.
I'm glad my wife doesn't read the forums lol.
SuperFist likes this.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #38 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Since you have no clue to what my setup is you have no way of knowing by your own admittance. Now the dozen or so beginners I communicated with via its related thread and privates messages over the last three years would disagree.
I just saw the link in your signature with regards to your server setup. I haven't had a chance to check it out thoroughly, but I admit it does look intriguing. I'll have to give it a better read when I have more time.

I was trying to offer the OP more of a turnkey solution that was more economically feasible than an expensive NAS. At first glance, your setup may be economical, but it's definitely more involved to set it up than simply plugging in a pre-configured flash drive with unRAID loaded on it. There is literally no other software to install to have a fully functional unRAID server. The great thing about using unRAID is that there's a huge support community to help you with any problems. I have no idea what level of support is available for your setup unless you plan on taking on that responsibility yourself. I have a feeling that you're playing things close to the vest to avoid just such a scenario, not that I blame you for that. If you are willing to put yourself out there for anyone looking for assistance then I say more power to you and kudos.
post #39 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 5707
I subscribed to this thread. I haven't got to the point where I need this type of storage, but all of you that have contributed to it have provided good information for if/when I travel down this road.

Thanks!

Spoiler!
post #40 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I just saw the link in your signature with regards to your server setup.
Actually I was waiting to wrap up last week's rebuild and sell it as the ultimate solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07014.png
Views:	64
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2661140   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07010.png
Views:	24
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2661142  
SuperFist likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
post #41 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 6051
Quote:
Actually I was waiting to wrap up last week's build and sell it as the ultimate solution...
Spoiler!
post #42 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not unless he's telepathic.
I would think you would have to read something to get scared.

I would like to thank everyone for all the help!! I have been away for the holidays and am now catching up. I am not an expert at all the computer, software, or server lingo so please bear with me. Also, so I do not get confused, I am only interested in set ups that would retain the UHD video and a min 7.1 surround playback.
Based on what I read, I am not scared but do not want to go into the rabbit either, I think I am looking at the following.
For converting- A computer with a UHD 4K surround BR player and Ripper software
Storage- an NAS (storage and server Unit in one) or a Server with a storage rack. (100+ TB)
For playing- a stand-alone player (DVDFAB movie server or nVidia Shield Pro) or a computer with a player and correct video card.

Questions
Using the MKV format it says that playback will require a special player, or it will need to be transcoded into format that particular hardware player understands.
Q: I would like to understand when playing an MKV file from a NAS or server through a computer with a UHD 4K surround sound video card out through an HDMI cable to the surround receiver: does the MKV file need to be converted? Is the video card doing the conversion?
Q: It was suggested that an app like Kodi, JRiver Media Center organize and play the media. Is special software needed to play/convert the MKV file to HDMI surround receiver? Or are these just media player for computer or TV with no surround sound ability?
Someone mentioned Kodi with an External player. What does external player mean, how does it hook up, and does it play full video and surround audio quality?
How else can you play a MKV file with full video and surround audio quality

A nVidia Shield Pro was suggested. It looks like this device is the player.
Q: Would this eliminate the computer and hook to the NAS or server while maintaining full video and surround quality?
Q: Is this the case? Is there are video card to put in the computer to do the same thing? If I need to have a storage and computer it would seem better not to have another extra device.

DVDFAB was suggested. This looks like a full feature MKV file ripper or ISO, and file organizer movie server, and player via movie server box or movie player software.
Q: Does anyone have experience and an opinion on its ability/flexibility to rip with full Video and Audio surround quality?
Q: Does anybody have experience on using the movie server and connecting to an NAS or server?
Does this option eliminate the need for the computer?
It appears that you can only play what is loaded on the server box so if you scan the organizer and pick a movie on the NAS/Server it would take time to download. Is this the case?
Q: Does anybody have experience with the DVDFab Player 6 software?
Since the software would play on a computer would a video card send the HDMI signal to the surround receiver?
If so is there a recommended video card that would play full Video and Audio surround quality compatible to an AV surround receiver?

Mlknez 10:36 response.
Q: Why did you suggest using AnyDVD HD to copy your discs to the NAS as .iso file? It looks like DVDFAB would do this.
Captain Video 11:28 response to Mlknez- If you do not use a media player and computer how is the surround sound fed into the receiver?
As for the issue of NAS or Rack server storage I am confused and will keep reading your comments.

Thanks, Mike
post #43 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hi, welcome to the forum! I will try to help on some of your questions. My response in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruscim View Post

Questions
Using the MKV format it says that playback will require a special player, or it will need to be transcoded into format that particular hardware player understands.
Q: I would like to understand when playing an MKV file from a NAS or server through a computer with a UHD 4K surround sound video card out through an HDMI cable to the surround receiver: does the MKV file need to be converted? Is the video card doing the conversion?

MKV is just a container and does not require a special player to play the file. Most common players today can handle MKV files with no problem. No conversion is necessary.

Q: It was suggested that an app like Kodi, JRiver Media Center organize and play the media. Is special software needed to play/convert the MKV file to HDMI surround receiver? Or are these just media player for computer or TV with no surround sound ability?
Someone mentioned Kodi with an External player. What does external player mean, how does it hook up, and does it play full video and surround audio quality?

All of my ripped movies are in MKV format, with full surround sound audio. I have no problem playing back the full quality surround sound files with my theater system via HDMI. I have used Emby and JRiver to play my MKV files; MPC-HC/BE can play them as well along with VLC. As long as your video card supports full HD audio, it will pass the sound via bitstream to the AVR

Q: Would this eliminate the computer and hook to the NAS or server while maintaining full video and surround quality?
Q: Is this the case? Is there are video card to put in the computer to do the same thing? If I need to have a storage and computer it would seem better not to have another extra device.

While I don't own a Shield yet, from what I do know that its a streaming player. I can play files from your NAS or server setup depending on your media player like Plex. I believe that the Shield is also capable of full audio playback.

DVDFAB was suggested. This looks like a full feature MKV file ripper or ISO, and file organizer movie server, and player via movie server box or movie player software.
Q: Does anyone have experience and an opinion on its ability/flexibility to rip with full Video and Audio surround quality?

DVDFab is just an ripping program. I haven't used it in a long time as I use AnyDVD HD to rip my discs, but it can rip the full quality video and audio.

Q: Why did you suggest using AnyDVD HD to copy your discs to the NAS as .iso file? It looks like DVDFAB would do this.
As for the issue of NAS or Rack server storage I am confused and will keep reading your comments.

In my case, I prefer AnyDVD HD over DVDFab but they both can do the same job. In my case I use AnyDVD HD to rip my discs to ISO for the sake of extra backup. Plus I can mount the ISO to use it with MakeMKV afterward to where it can speed up the process in creating the MKV files. My ISO files I keep on a separate storage server (cold use) which I only use when I need to make MKV files without having to reload the original discs.

A NAS (Network Attached Storage) is basically a hardware device that has preloaded software in an drive enclosure. As other members have said they are more expensive and your dealing with proprietary software. A storage server is simply a computer, whether rackmount or desktop can contain alot of internal hard drives with your choice of operating system, whether its unRAID or a Windows based system. A separate computer known as HTPC or a streaming box like Roku or Nvidia Shield can access all of your media files on the storage server. You can then use front end software to access your collection. Lots of info on this. Hope this helps!
post #44 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would like to thank everyone for all the help!! I have been away for the holidays and am now catching up. I am not an expert at all the computer, software, or server lingo so please bear with me. Also, so I do not get confused, I am only interested in set ups that would retain the UHD video and a min 7.1 surround playback.
Based on what I read, I am not scared but do not want to go into the rabbit either, I think I am looking at the following.
For converting- A computer with a UHD 4K surround BR player and Ripper software
Storage- an NAS (storage and server Unit in one) or a Server with a storage rack. (100+ TB)
For playing- a stand-alone player (DVDFAB movie server or nVidia Shield Pro) or a computer with a player and correct video card.

Questions
A: There are lots of software players available as previously mentioned. Some are standalone apps, such as MPC-HC, MPC-BE, and VLC Media Player. Some are part of a Media Center app, such as Kodi or JRiver Media Center. The difference being that one of the Media Center apps will allow you organize all of your media and include artwork and text and other features. A media player app is just an app that you use to play the media. You open the media from within the app or you associate the app with specific media types so that when you double-click on the file it automatically opens the app and starts playback.

Quote:
A: There is no special software required other than what I just mentioned. The audio is passed through to your A/V receiver or preamp/processor and processed there. No audio processing is done on the PC itself.

Quote:
A: A Nvidia Shield is both a player and a streaming device, plus it is also a gaming platform. You can stream from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc., as well as use it for playback of content from a local server. You can install the Plex app on the Shield and configure Plex Server on your server.
A: The video card only processes the video and sends the audio out to the external processor via the HDMI cable. You will need some sort of storage for your media, whether it be internal to the PC or external in a server or NAS. You will definitely need some form of external storage with the number of Blu-Ray discs you plan to include in your library.

Quote:
Q: Does anybody have experience on using the movie server and connecting to an NAS or server?
Does this option eliminate the need for the computer?
It appears that you can only play what is loaded on the server box so if you scan the organizer and pick a movie on the NAS/Server it would take time to download. Is this the case?
Q: Does anybody have experience with the DVDFab Player 6 software?
Since the software would play on a computer would a video card send the HDMI signal to the surround receiver?
If so is there a recommended video card that would play full Video and Audio surround quality compatible to an AV surround receiver?
A: I have never used DVDFab Player so I can't respond to questions about it. MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC Media Player, and Kodi are all free so there is no reason to pay for expensive software that does the same thing. I use JRiver Media Center because it not only does 4k playback quite well, but it is also optimized for audio playback. I have an extensive music collection and it allows me to organize my music, TV shows, and movies for ease of access.

Quote:
Captain Video 11:28 response to Mlknez- If you do not use a media player and computer how is the surround sound fed into the receiver?
A: Answered in my previous answers above.
post #45 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually I was waiting to wrap up last week's rebuild and sell it as the ultimate solution...
Does it come with a Flux Capacitor?
SuperFist and RagtopFE like this.
post #46 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
What's not good about them? They work in just about any media player. I used to use iso files for playback of ripped Blu-Ray discs using PowerDVD but they suffered from constant freezing and stuttering. I tried MakeMKV and ended up converting my entire library to MKV files. They never freeze or stutter and I can play them on any device in my house over my network.

My Sony equipment does not like MKV files.

post #47 of 52 Old 12-30-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Sony equipment does not like MKV files.
What equipment might that be? If you're playing the files from a PC or media player it shouldn't make any difference what other equipment you have.
post #48 of 52 Old 12-31-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
What equipment might that be? If you're playing the files from a PC or media player it shouldn't make any difference what other equipment you have.

Sony UBP-X800 for
UHD, blu-ray, streaming, SACD
Sony PS3 for blu-ray, some streaming

Unrelated - AppleTV 4K (a little bit of Plex)
All thru a Denon AVR-X4300H with Atmos setup,
all KEF speakers
to Vizio M70-E3 or Epson projector

post #49 of 52 Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just looked at the specs on the Sony UBP-X800 and it says it can play mkv files so I'm not sure why they won't work.

Quote:
VIDEO FORMAT
AVCHD Disc Format, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .MPEG, .mkv) .VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv) .VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)
post #50 of 52 Old 12-31-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I just looked at the specs on the Sony UBP-X800 and it says it can play mkv files so I'm not sure why they won't work.
If you know where to look (or listen) you'll often find supported doesn't mean fully supported. Such as in this case several audio codecs not being supported... among other issues.
lorenzeami likes this.

post #51 of 52 Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If you know where to look (or listen) you'll often find supported doesn't mean fully supported. Such as in this case several audio codecs not being supported... among other issues.

Yup. Sony seems to have trouble with anything better than lossy 5.1 audio codecs.

I found lossy DTS 5.1 noticeably better than AC3. The AC3 has a tendency to sound nasally and boxy.

The Denon does a nice job of upscaling to 7.2.4 so I’m rarely finding it worth purchasing UHD blue-rays if it’s just to get Atmos.

post #52 of 52 Old 01-04-2020, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I have about 3000 movies and would like to digitally store them with full surround sound and play them when I want.

1. Is there a system that will do this that i can buy? Or a guide to build my own? Website I need to read?

2. What is the best copier/ripper that i can use to digitize the videos with surround sound?

3. What amount of storage would I need to not corrupt the quality of the video and audio for each BR?

4. What is the best movie Archiving program that may allow me to scan movies by sorts and then pick and play?

5. Once the movies are digitized how do you play them? Is it an HDMI cable from a computer to the receiver?

6. Is there a special computer that is needed for accessing the storage and sending the data to the receiver?

7. Where is the best place to buy hardware at a good price?

Thanks to everyone for help

1) AvS is the website. As far as a single comport hat will do everything you’re wanting to do - it doesn’t exist. There are ways to do it and there’s no one right answer... but you can find the right answer for you. I use a home built plex server and android TVs throughout the house

2) MakeMKV has been my ripper of choice for years and it’s wonderful. Does 4K rips as well

3) this has been covered but you should plan on an average of about 25gb per movie If you just do the feature title and an HD audio track. I always rip a stereo track as well. Programs like handbrake can compress your files and you don’t necessarily have to lose a lot of image quality. And depending on your setup you may not notice anyway.

4) Plex, Emby, and Kodi are all popular options. Calling on the best over another is a pointless argument. I like plex.. others don’t. They are all free so try them all and see which one you like the most

5) you can go from the computer direct to the TV. That’s a simple way but maybe not the most user friendly. Roku Boxes or similar streaming boxes are cheap and will stream from a plex server or something like that. Plex and Emby will automatically add meta data and art for your films. They all organizing into collections and all kinds of stuff

6) if you go the Plex or Emby route you’ll need a server of some kind. In most instances a simple computer can get you started. Since you’re doing 3000 Blu-ray’s you’ll need close to 75tb of storage. You’re looking at some kind of extra storage at that point as well. Instead of going Windows you can look at FreeNAS or other NAS Operating Systems

7) new egg and amazon are good places to start for hardware

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page