• 1 Post By SuperFist

post #1 of 23 Old 12-26-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 42
C Drive Blues

When I got my Assasin HTPC in 2011, the 60 gb hard drive seemed big enough to handle the job. I want to say 40 gb used, 20 free at that time (WIn7HomePrem), Ceton 4 (now 6-Pcie). Over the years the spare space seems to have been eaten up to the point that I now have very little free space after installing Epg 123 recently. Have removed temp files and old MS updates, but I am still right at the limit. Anyone else dealt with this? Any solution other than making an image of the current drive and installing a bigger one, ghosting over the image, etc. Any pitfalls doing this? Any thinking from those with experience would be much appreciated.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My solutions was to move large but infrequently accessed folders (in my case, game data folders in Program Files) to another drive, and replace them with directory junctions. The drive is not even permanently connected, I plug it in only if I need to run any of the affected applications.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-26-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
My solutions was to move large but infrequently accessed folders (in my case, game data folders in Program Files) to another drive, and replace them with directory junctions. The drive is not even permanently connected, I plug it in only if I need to run any of the affected applications.
Interesting, but I guess not my situation. Do not see anything I can really get ride of/move, but then again I am no pro at this....

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Why not just add a 2nd drive? You can go into the settings in WMC and change the location where your recordings are stored. You can pick up a much higher capacity drive pretty cheap nowadays. There's no need to re-image the existing drive to another one.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Some HDD drives (SSDs in particular) come with software that makes swapping the primary boot drive an easy process - as long as you can have both the existing HDD and new disk connected, it allows you to clone/mirror your C: drive to the new disk. Then, you make sure that the new drive is assigned as your boot partition in the BIOS, and that's it.

I've done this twice on the same machine, from a traditional HDD->120GB SSD->250GB SSD running on Windows 7; both times were seamless and pain-free, and this was on an old PC that was first built in 2007.

Last edited by tezster; 12-27-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Why not just add a 2nd drive? You can go into the settings in WMC and change the location where your recordings are stored. You can pick up a much higher capacity drive pretty cheap nowadays. There's no need to re-image the existing drive to another one.
Interesting. What would be the advantage vs. replacement. This is a Crucial SSD that is now 8 years old, just for info. What would each drive hold from a division of storage standpoint?

post #7 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Some HDD drives (SSDs in particular) come with software that makes swapping the primary boot drive an easy process - as long as you can have both the existing HDD and new disk connected, it allows you to clone/mirror your C: drive to the new disk. Then, you make sure that the new drive is assigned as your boot partition in the BIOS, and that's it.

I've done this twice on the same machine, from a traditional HDD->120GB SSD->250GB SSD running on Windows 7; both times were seamless and pain-free, and this was on an old PC that was first built in 2007.
That is very intersting and potentially very helpful. Thanks very much.

I am still curious as to what is sucking up all the storage space. In 2015 I created an image of the drive and it file size was 12.4 gb, compressed obviously. Just created another image to have a fresher copy having installed the EPG123. The file size is 20.6 gb. Actual space remaining on this 60 gb drive is now only 1.3 gb! I mean what gives here? It's like it has leprosy or something.

post #8 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked: 6051
Very interesting, my friend! 2011 is when I built my first PC, coming from a water cooled Sony Vaio that I gave away.

I did another Ryzen 7 1700 build in 2015 with a 250GB Samsung EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and recently updated it with a 1TB stick of the same. I used the free version of Macrium Reflect to image the drive and it was a seamless transition.

Not really trying to convince you to upgrade, but I'm telling you... the NVMe M.2 drives are lightning fast when it comes to transferring large files like MKVs and whatnot.
brazen1 likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Interesting. What would be the advantage vs. replacement. This is a Crucial SSD that is now 8 years old, just for info. What would each drive hold from a division of storage standpoint?
For one thing all you need to do is install the drive and format it. There's no copying of partitions involved. As for what you store on the drives, that is entirely up to you. I use an SSD as my boot drive with Windows and any other apps installed. I have a 2nd drive dedicated to storage for recordings and any miscellaneous files. I also keep any backup images of the C drive there using Windows Backup. That way if the boot drive dies I can replace it and restore the C drive using a Windows Rescue Disk.

Quote:
That is very intersting and potentially very helpful. Thanks very much.

I am still curious as to what is sucking up all the storage space. In 2015 I created an image of the drive and it file size was 12.4 gb, compressed obviously. Just created another image to have a fresher copy having installed the EPG123. The file size is 20.6 gb. Actual space remaining on this 60 gb drive is now only 1.3 gb! I mean what gives here? It's like it has leprosy or something.
Not to sound condescending, but do you ever empty the Recycle bin? Unless you hold down the Shift key when you delete something it just goes to the Recycle bin and stays there until you delete it permanently. You probably have a lot of temporary files from surfing the web. You might want to try a copy of CCleaner and let it scrub the extraneous files from your computer. It's free and will get rid of a lot of things that are clogging up your drive.

Last edited by captain_video; 12-27-2019 at 11:11 AM.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Install Foldersize from MindGems https://www.mindgems.com/products/Fo...lder-Size.html
It is a free program and it ads a menu to the right click in explorer to "Scan with folder size"
Do this on the root of your C drive and it should give you a good idea of what is eating up your space. I use this program all the time, it is great.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, guys. I cannot add any more drives as no space. The C drive handles the OS and two other drives (RAID1) the media. The recycle bin is empty and as I only use this machine for Recording TV, nothing goes the bin anyway as files too large. No web surfing, ever. The mindgems idea is very interesting.

post #12 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

The program I use to explore folder sizes is WinDirStat. I found that the culprit is c:\Windows\WinSxS, which keeps collecting old drivers and probably other system files and keeps growing throughout the life of the Windows installation; I did not find a good solution for the problem. It seems the only solution is Windows refresh/re-install. The insult to injury is that the bloated WinSxS will transfer to the new drive with a full image transfer.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't see if this was advised already, but other usual possible methods are eliminating hibernation (if not done already; removes the hibernation reserved storage file from c:\\) and reducing your memory paging size.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-27-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I cannot add any more drives as no space. The C drive handles the OS and two other drives (RAID1) the media. The recycle bin is empty and as I only use this machine for Recording TV, nothing goes the bin anyway as files too large. No web surfing, ever. The mindgems idea is very interesting.
If you've got two other drives handling the media then why not just upgrade one or both of them? You didn't mention anything other than the SSD in your original post. Apparently you left out a few details in the description of your setup.

Pull one of the other drives and install a new drive larger than the combined capacity of the two original drives. Format it and then copy over the contents of the old drive to the new one. Shut the system down, replace the old drive with the other old drive and then copy the contents of that one to the new drive as well. If that doesn't work with a RAID 1 configuration then connect the new drive externally via USB and copy the contents of both existing drives over to the new drive. Remove the two old drives and install the new one without RAID.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-28-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Didn't see if this was advised already, but other usual possible methods are eliminating hibernation (if not done already; removes the hibernation reserved storage file from c:\\) and reducing your memory paging size.
Remove hibernation? Good idea as I leave this HTPC on all the time. Thanks.

post #16 of 23 Old 12-28-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
If you've got two other drives handling the media then why not just upgrade one or both of them? You didn't mention anything other than the SSD in your original post. Apparently you left out a few details in the description of your setup.

Pull one of the other drives and install a new drive larger than the combined capacity of the two original drives. Format it and then copy over the contents of the old drive to the new one. Shut the system down, replace the old drive with the other old drive and then copy the contents of that one to the new drive as well. If that doesn't work with a RAID 1 configuration then connect the new drive externally via USB and copy the contents of both existing drives over to the new drive. Remove the two old drives and install the new one without RAID.
My apologies for not providing enough info. Did not as I thought the question was more simple than it obviously is. The C drive does the OS related stuff only, two 2 TB HDD's handle the Recorded TV storage and that is all this machine is used for. One of the 2 RAID drives just failed and so just replaced both as their life is apparently only 4-5 years and no sense having another failure soon. One of your ideas should work just fine. Much obliged!

post #17 of 23 Old 12-28-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went and had a look at the hibernation matter. (Keep in mind (apologies) I am no whiz at all this.) My power state set up is balanced with Sleep set to NEVER, Allow hybrid sleep to ON and hibernate after to NEVER. Not sure if this is what is right to save the hibernate space as I opened up the hidden files and found that the hiberfil.sys file size showed 5.97 gb (ouch, right?). So my settings are not correct, then? Sure could use those almost 6 gb's.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-30-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Ssds are so cheap. Just grab a 250gb version and image the drive. Nothing to fuss with after that.

I'm not sure why captain video is saying to upgrade the media drives. That won't help the boot drive.

But I'm probably confused there?

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #19 of 23 Old 12-30-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd suggest doing as whiteboy714 said and just buying a fresh new SSD for the boot volume. They are so cheap it's crazy. I just rebuilt my HTPC, I grabbed a 120GB PNY from Best Buy for $20. You're probably thinking "is he nuts!? Only 120GB??" lol that leads to my other suggestion; don't use a single drive in an HTPC if you intend to keep media local. If Windows craps its pants, you want to be able to wipe and rebuild the system drive without affecting media. I'd highly suggest a cheap, not huge drive for the OS volume then either a NAS connection for media or a big secondary SATA drive. 8TB drives are dirt cheap. That way if you blow away the OS down the road, you have no worries with backing up media as that drive won't be touched. (Just be VERY sure when selecting drives in the OS installer that you wipe/load the OS one, not the big media one heh).

PS: granted, you could achieve the same separating effect via partitioning but if you intend media storage to be local, you're going to be looking at large volume SATA drives. My 8 TB drives are decent, but not speed demons so if I partitioned off 250GB or so for Windows it'd be separate but slow compared to a dedicated SSD for the OS. After getting used to Windows' responsiveness on an SSD, there is no way I'd want to go back to running it off a spinning platter.

Last edited by Strahan; 12-30-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 12-31-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I'd suggest doing as whiteboy714 said and just buying a fresh new SSD for the boot volume. They are so cheap it's crazy. I just rebuilt my HTPC, I grabbed a 120GB PNY from Best Buy for $20. You're probably thinking "is he nuts!? Only 120GB??" lol that leads to my other suggestion; don't use a single drive in an HTPC if you intend to keep media local. If Windows craps its pants, you want to be able to wipe and rebuild the system drive without affecting media. I'd highly suggest a cheap, not huge drive for the OS volume then either a NAS connection for media or a big secondary SATA drive. 8TB drives are dirt cheap. That way if you blow away the OS down the road, you have no worries with backing up media as that drive won't be touched. (Just be VERY sure when selecting drives in the OS installer that you wipe/load the OS one, not the big media one heh).

PS: granted, you could achieve the same separating effect via partitioning but if you intend media storage to be local, you're going to be looking at large volume SATA drives. My 8 TB drives are decent, but not speed demons so if I partitioned off 250GB or so for Windows it'd be separate but slow compared to a dedicated SSD for the OS. After getting used to Windows' responsiveness on an SSD, there is no way I'd want to go back to running it off a spinning platter.
Thanks for weighing in. I do isolate the OS on its own SSD drive, run two HDD's (2TB plenty for me) in RAID1 configuration, have image of the SSD and backup of the media on the HDD's.

post #21 of 23 Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I took your advice on stopping the hibernation. Did do successfully and the hiberfil.sys file is gone. Strange thing is I had 4 gb of space free before and now only two so I have to try to figure out what the heck happened. Should have gained just under 6gb for a total of 10 free which would have been great.

post #22 of 23 Old 01-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I took your advice on stopping the hibernation. Did do successfully and the hiberfil.sys file is gone. Strange thing is I had 4 gb of space free before and now only two so I have to try to figure out what the heck happened. Should have gained just under 6gb for a total of 10 free which would have been great.
I again recommend WinDirStat, it is a great tool to figure out what takes space on the drive.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-04-2020, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

How much space is that going to take (which I don't have). Also is it really going to help me find where the almost 6 gb went when I stopped the hibernate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page