bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Foxbat121
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By Kai Winters
  • 1 Post By SuperFist
  • 1 Post By stevethebrain

post #1 of 23 Old 12-30-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 26
bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive

Win7 PC won’t bootup stuck on starting windows

Recently having problems w/ windows7 first observation was very slow bootup.

I reinstalled the OS 2 days ago seamed to fix the issue.

2 days later it won’t boot up stuck on starting windows

All this started w/ the installation of a new drive which has caused all kindof problems
It renamed itself which created conflicts w/ the windows media center because the sys I think is independent of media center as far as assigned storage, so it thinks the disk is full which it isn’t it’s the path or name of HDD created this conflict.

Anyway I remove the drive and the sys. Boots up fine.

My ? is can a faulty storage drive create bootup issues, this has to be the problem?

Apprehensive to reinsert this drive and attempt another boot just happy sys. Booted.

I have this drive in a hot swappable tray there’s a bunch of recorded TV programs that I’d like to move to a know functioning HDD is there a risk of reinserting this drive then moving the files, which I actuelly did the error was disk full, it’s a 2TB w/ maybe 20% used space. I believe this drive needs to be warrentyed.

Additionally this drive continues to disappear then reappear, the power & sata cables are tightly pressed in secure connection + my MOBO only has 6 sata ports and all are being used actuelly the 6th port was the DVD that I never use like a sata port is a sata port right it doesn’t care if a HDD or DVD is connected right?

I prefer not to insert a known functioning drive in the same port to prove a good physical connection because the drive is sometimes recognized in w7 but always full in media center. Doe’s all this sound like defective drive?
Please advice and thanks

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-30-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 513
You need to go into the BIOS of the PC and specify the order of drives you'd like it boot up from. If you don't do this, more often than not, it will try to boot up from the new drive you just added. Sometimes, it even prefers inserted USB flash drive over any fixed HDD.
stevethebrain likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-30-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 5679 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
Win7 PC won’t bootup stuck on starting windows

Recently having problems w/ windows7 first observation was very slow bootup.

I reinstalled the OS 2 days ago seamed to fix the issue.

2 days later it won’t boot up stuck on starting windows

All this started w/ the installation of a new drive which has caused all kindof problems
It renamed itself which created conflicts w/ the windows media center because the sys I think is independent of media center as far as assigned storage, so it thinks the disk is full which it isn’t it’s the path or name of HDD created this conflict.

Anyway I remove the drive and the sys. Boots up fine.

My ? is can a faulty storage drive create bootup issues, this has to be the problem?

Apprehensive to reinsert this drive and attempt another boot just happy sys. Booted.

I have this drive in a hot swappable tray there’s a bunch of recorded TV programs that I’d like to move to a know functioning HDD is there a risk of reinserting this drive then moving the files, which I actuelly did the error was disk full, it’s a 2TB w/ maybe 20% used space. I believe this drive needs to be warrentyed.

Additionally this drive continues to disappear then reappear, the power & sata cables are tightly pressed in secure connection + my MOBO only has 6 sata ports and all are being used actuelly the 6th port was the DVD that I never use like a sata port is a sata port right it doesn’t care if a HDD or DVD is connected right?

I prefer not to insert a known functioning drive in the same port to prove a good physical connection because the drive is sometimes recognized in w7 but always full in media center. Doe’s all this sound like defective drive?
Please advice and thanks
If the drive is faulty in a manner where it is falling on and off the sata bus, then yes it can hang windows as accesses to the drive take a really long time to timeout. Supposedly if you waited a very long time windows would finally come up. Before swapping the drive, I'd swap SATA cables. If it still is flaky you can try it in a USB enclosure or with a USB to SATA cable to copy off what you need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WZ1N4K

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-31-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes in the BIOS Samsung SSD is the first boot device not sure where the RAID came from or I never noticed it. I’ve never configured any drive to have redundancy (RAID).

2nd boot device is the CD/DVD drive which I’ve stolen it’s SATA for extra HDD space BIOS still has it configured as a CD/DVD.

Remember I’ve clone the original HDDs OS to the evo840 SSD which is the C drive.
Never did anything w/ magician SW (I believe initial SSD install I did do some configureing) now at bootup I get a error just a magician red X w/ OK or cancel I cancel and continue.
Intergrated peripherals onboard SATA mode is RAID.
Clock to all dim/pci/pcie disabled

sata port 2 & 6 are not detected.

Another issue is when the new drive disappeared it also took the G drive where I shifted it’s programs to the new fualty drive.

Also all the MC programs won’t display in MC but can be played from explorer.

I like the SATA to USB connection I have a old western dig. my book I was thinking of using if the sata ports test broken however it's a 1TB both drives in ? are 2TB.
thanks Guys for support.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-31-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m thinking this drive has created a lot of problems. Or maybe the sata port is fualty never had a sata port break so I don’t know what to expect. kindof want to avoid reopening the case unless I can't find a external power source, if I'm forced to open I'll swap sata cable from a know functioning port. can one bad sata effect another seams wierd to me that when the new drive failed it took the second drive.

Initially after I moved a few programs to this drive, I actuely tested this new drive in disk management it said the drive had bad sectors and they where moved and won’t be used never did the format until later. I believe it moved a corrurpt recording to a section of HDD. Because that’s all I’ve ever saved to this HDD.

I’d like to try another test here’s my MY book WD enclosesure.

I’ll have to look around for the 120V AC adaptor that may take some time to locate it.

Until then can I connect this drives 5v sata power from inside the PC then instead of connecting the data to sata, connect to the MY books mini USB like it’s the same cable I charge my cell phone w/ correct or is this a MB priority plug?
Basicely eliminating the sata port.

BTW I’ve removed this new drive the G drive mysteriously reappeared not right away I powered down last night this morning it wasn’t there at bootup came back ½ hour later and there’s the G again w/ all it’s contents displayed in MC however the remaining drives still won’t display in MC only from explorer.
Thanks STB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mybook external power and mini USB port.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2661728   Click image for larger version

Name:	mybook internal power.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2661730  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-31-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I added a storage drive.

Installed it transferred files to it. then it started to disappear then reappear and when it disappeared the G drive where I moved files from to the new drive would also disappear.
I’m warranting this drive. sys. Won’t boot w/ it connected. so I reinstall OS. I’d like to move the files back to the old storage before I send back.

What’s the risk of connecting to a know functioning SATA & power to recover these files? Like could this drive have damaged it’s SATA port and could possibly ruin another SATA port?

I’ve ordered the SATA to USB cable on Wednesday however amozone has’nt even started the shipment no time to wait
Thanks

post #7 of 23 Old 01-05-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 5679 Post(s)
Liked: 3732
Quote:
I added a storage drive.

Installed it transferred files to it. then it started to disappear then reappear and when it disappeared the G drive where I moved files from to the new drive would also disappear.
I’m warranting this drive. sys. Won’t boot w/ it connected. so I reinstall OS. I’d like to move the files back to the old storage before I send back.

What’s the risk of connecting to a know functioning SATA & power to recover these files? Like could this drive have damaged it’s SATA port and could possibly ruin another SATA port?

I’ve ordered the SATA to USB cable on Wednesday however amozone has’nt even started the shipment no time to wait
Thanks
Nah it wont damage the SATA port. Those don't have power running through them. If the drive had bad sectors in the past and you reformatted the drive, you lost the bad sector mapping. Honestly, it sounds like the drive is just bad and needs to be replaced. Getting the USB --> SATA adapter is a good idea. You can get the system booted then plug in the drive after. If the drive's not healthy enough to stay online, you're not going to be able to copy the files off of it over USB, either.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

the drive seamed normal . normal enough for me to transfer files about 500GB then a few weeks later started acting up.

the other issue I'm concerned w/ is when the new drive disappeared the drive where I transfered files from G also disappeared and won't reappear untill I power sys down wait a few hours then G will reappear not right at bootup but a few minutes later doe's this sound abnormal or normal?

Thanks

post #9 of 23 Old 01-05-2020, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
the drive seamed normal . normal enough for me to transfer files about 500GB then a few weeks later started acting up.

the other issue I'm concerned w/ is when the new drive disappeared the drive where I transfered files from G also disappeared and won't reappear untill I power sys down wait a few hours then G will reappear not right at bootup but a few minutes later doe's this sound abnormal or normal?

Thanks
Back in the day when I built all my desktops from scratch I always set the BIOS to boot just from one drive, not recognizing any others...until I needed then I'd just go back into the BIOS and turn on whatever drive I want to include...installing a OS from a disk, etc.
Perhaps doing that will help.

When I connect my WD EasyStore 10Tb usb hdd to my laptop it takes up to a minute for it to appear on my screen. It has 7Tb of movies/shows on it and it takes some time to start and be accessible. This happens for all of my portable hdd's.

I was going to replace the 128gb ssd internal hdd in my Dell laptop with a 256gb drive. I spoke to the BB Geek Squad about the process of doing this and was warned that it can and often causes problems because there are drivers, etc. that don't transfer over, or correctly transfer, causing boot problems.
Rather than spending hours trying this I just decided to use the internal hdd for the OS and what I really needed on it...argh Itunes demands it and takes a lot of storage and it won't stay on an added drive without causing problems...and everything else on external drives of which I use 2 for the laptop, photos, music, ebooks, backup, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #10 of 23 Old 01-05-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

sys. boots fine w/out this new storage drive

What happened is I added a storage drive.

I’m warranting this drive. sys. Won’t boot w/ it connected. so I reinstall OS on a separate SSD. I’d like to move the files back to the old storage before I send back.

I’ve ordered the SATA to USB cable on Wednesday however amozone has’nt even started the shipment no time to wait need to rma before I receive the external usb cable
Thanks

Last edited by stevethebrain; 01-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: was able to find the old 1TB MY book cables so I basically have a USB connection to the new problem HDD this drive is 2TB not sure if the old wires will support the 2TB problem drive, they plug in fine an drive sounds normal no clicking or abnormal noises.

The error message stated it was ready to use however the driver needed updating which I did. An verified in the drives properties where the drive is recognized as mybook1111 an working properly.

Still can’t see the drive in my computer.
I’ve rebooted a few times this problem drive hasn’t effected bootup connected to USB.

Still have a few days to recover files before RMAing.
Thanks for any adviceSTB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1tb my book cables1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2665412   Click image for larger version

Name:	1tb my book cables2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2665414  

post #12 of 23 Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

update:still can't access new drive w/ USB interface.
I just noticed that the DVD drive was named H it actually isn't connected remember I stole it's SATA port & power. however it's listed in disc. management.

all other HDD are recognized as basic except disk 5 it's unknown not initialized and unallocated

the last restart the sys. wanted me to initialize it I'm thinking this another slang PC term for formatting which the disc has been formatted prior to transferring files to it which defeats my goal of retrieving files.

the small PCB contraption from inside my old my book used to interface the HDD as a USB has a reset button unsure of whats it's function is.

the other storage drives are CDEFG maybe windows wants to name this new drive as H and this created a conflict since H is being used for the DVD are DVDs normaly named H like C drives must be C?

remember in device manager the drive is named western digital 1111 I'm still confused which is actually the name in disc management I assume the second parentheses is the name and the first is the description.

lastly for right now why doe's this HDD properties indicate the drivers are the the latest and up to date. but another window came up stated 4 headings first three said disc was ready to use 3 different ways then the 4th said update drivers w/ a red X?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	disc management.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	2665838  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 01-07-2020 at 07:41 AM.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-07-2020, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Did I just unshuck a HDD?

Been having issues w/ a HHD I formatted it in disk management got it working thought it was normal so I moved files to it then this drive starting flaking out which also effected the HDD where the files originated from.

It was suggested that I don’t connect this drive to another SATA port (sys. Stopped booting w/ it connected) but connecting to USB was acceptable.

I understand that removing a HDD from an enclosure and installing as a internal drive is referred to as shucking and should be avoided.

I’ve managed to interface this drive w/ an old western digital My Book PCB so did I just unshuck a drive basically the reverse of shucking?

post #14 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

amazone still haven't even shipped usually I receive smallish packages in 2 or 3 days if the sata/usb cable was on backorder they usually mention before order.

starting to think the current interface only supports 1TB not 2TB I can test that theory w/ another drive.

anyone know what the tiny red reset buttons function is? this button isn't exposed from outside of enclosure?

Byran where are you, are still mad at me for that time you gave me bogus advice.

post #15 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1457 Post(s)
Liked: 6049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I was going to replace the 128gb ssd internal hdd in my Dell laptop with a 256gb drive. I spoke to the BB Geek Squad about the process of doing this and was warned that it can and often causes problems because there are drivers, etc. that don't transfer over, or correctly transfer, causing boot problems.
I definitely wouldn't trust Best Buy's Geek Squad for any relevant, accurate or reliable computer information!

All internal HDDs, SSDs, etc. can be easily replaced as long as you have capable backup imaging software such as Macrium Reflect Free Edition. I recently replaced a generic 128GB NVMe SSD M.2 SSD with a Samsung 250GB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD in my Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop ($260) with no issues whatsoever. I also updated the RAM from 4GB to 16GB and it takes only 6 secs for it to cold boot!
Kai Winters likes this.

Last edited by SuperFist; 01-08-2020 at 06:41 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I resolved the booting issue by removing this drive and reinstall the OS.

the new objective is file recovery from a flakey HDD before I RMA.

hopping it would flake back in long enough for file transfer.
SuperFist likes this.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I resolved the booting issue by removing this drive and reinstall the OS.

the new objective is file recovery from a flakey HDD before I RMA.

hopping it would flake back in long enough for file transfer.
I remember an issue similar to yours, however, I was using an ADATA SSD for my boot drive. Every 6-7 reboots, it would forget the boot order and force me to choose it from the startup BIOS menu. As soon as I replaced it with another SSD, I never had that issue again.

So as not to lose an extra drive entirely, I purchased an external case and now use it for a temporary, portable SSD to transfer and play movies in my home theater. It actually doesn't exhibit any unusual behavior just transferring files and playing movies.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
now use it for a temporary, portable SSD to transfer and play movies in my home theater. It actually doesn't exhibit any unusual behavior just transferring files and playing movies.
using the same SSD that gave poor bootup performance but good as storage sounds weird.

you're using SSD as storage? didn't think that was economically feasible.

still waiting for advice on the problem storage drive. thanks

post #19 of 23 Old 01-08-2020, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
using the same SSD that gave poor bootup performance but good as storage sounds weird.

you're using SSD as storage? didn't think that was economically feasible.

still waiting for advice on the problem storage drive. thanks
Nah... just temporary, as in load movies I will watch this weekend from my archive HDDs, plug it into my HTPC and that's it.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-09-2020, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If I do the following steps and choose to not format will the Simple Volume Wizard erase the files?
Are there 2 different Disk Management 1 w/ Administrative privileges 2nd
None Administrative privileges?

Disk Management.
3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then select New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, select Next.
5. Enter the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then select Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then select Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
8. If you don't want to format the volume right now, select Do not format this volume, and then select Next.
* To format the volume with the default settings, select Next.
1. Review your choices, and then select Finish.

post #21 of 23 Old 01-09-2020, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In recovery Windows is contradicting itself under drive it see’s the new volume
as it doe's in disc management

under status the drive cannot be found I'm assuming this term means rotten drive maybe this is why I can't select the new volume in recovery
Attach screen shot of restore.

even w/ the my book USB interface the drive disappears from device manager then I repower it and it reappears.

this must be why recovery & disc management recognizes the hardware but not the logical files.

edit: I may have only selected the C drive in recovery after the reinstall of OS because that uslley the problem drive don't remember ever restoring a storage drive.

do you experts set restore point for all drives?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	restor bad drive.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	2667004  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 01-09-2020 at 06:42 AM.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If the drive is faulty in a manner where it is falling on and off the sata bus, then yes it can hang windows as accesses to the drive take a really long time to timeout. Supposedly if you waited a very long time windows would finally come up. Before swapping the drive, I'd swap SATA cables. If it still is flaky you can try it in a USB enclosure or with a USB to SATA cable to copy off what you need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WZ1N4K
I ordered the cable it would;nt power the drive power supply was defective.
RMAing HDD and interface.

then retested w/ my old my book interface it spun up still unallocated. lost files.

the folks at go hard drive seam easy to deal w/ however I;m buying new not new old stock from now on.

I`m now considering a dock station for future interfacing.

post #23 of 23 Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good: I completely forgot about the recycle bin must of had a major brain fart, was able to recover a lot of files.

Bad: Must have emptied it a few times so didn’t recover all.

now I`d like to have these files displayed in W7MC they can be played from explorer but it`s inconvenient.
STB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page