Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 42
My HTPC - No Spring Chicken

I think I slowly have to face up to the fact that if my main board goes (2011 H67M series For Core i3) I am going to probably have trouble finding a replacement other than the used/refirb, market. Would lean toward upgrading to an i5, but which version and what main board? No gaming, run Ceton Pcie6 and record video, do not use the onboard DVD, no surf the web etc. Must be able to run the Win7 OS I have and not be obsolete from the standpoint of 4K and HDR etc. I currently have no GPU (integrated Intel Graphics HD 2000). Want very best video I can get, but again no gaming. Won't say money no object, but not the main issue either.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Well, you have conflicting requirements. 4K/HDR and Win7.

Best solution for most is to use WMC for everything except 4K/HDR. For that, use an external device or apps on your TV.

Used/refurb is no problem. Ebay full of people scared about Win7 end.

Still able to get robust Win7 PCs. Just update to H or Z, 87 or 97 motherboards with Haswell cpus, i3 or i5. You don't need to "upgrade", i3 is fine for your use.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I have both a Win7 HTPC and a Win 10 HTPC in my home theater setup. Win 7 with WMC is used for recording from FIOS and OTA. The Win 10 HTPC has JRiver Media Center to use with 4k and various other media playback. I tried using both on a Win 7 platform but WMC and JRMC don't seem to play well together, hence the separate HTPCs. If you want to be adventurous and try some newer hardware with Win 7 you can try a Ryzen 1st generation setup if you can find any of the CPUs. Gigabyte Aorus motherboards still have support for Windows 7, but you have to modify the Win 7 installation iso file to include USB3 and NVMe drivers. You may have to fiddle with some BIOS settings before Win 7 will even acknowledge the NVMe drive and install any files to it. You can still use a standard drive or SSD for the installation if you choose. There is a file to download from the Gigabyte driver downloads section along with instructions on how to modify the iso file with the additional drivers. There are some other motherboard manufacturers that have a similar type of mod available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys. I do assume my 1155 socket i3 cannot be part of the picture unless, as grittree said i go the refirb route. I only use WMC for viewing (Ceton 6 Tuner) and recording, so would not a 6th gen Intel i3 or i5 work with 64Win7? Does not seem like a lot of $.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 292
WMC doesn't need much horsepower, so choice of a backup solution is mostly based on availability and price. I would tend to look for a Z97/i3 rig. Better chipsets on lga1150 boards.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Well, you have conflicting requirements. 4K/HDR and Win7.

Best solution for most is to use WMC for everything except 4K/HDR. For that, use an external device or apps on your TV.

Used/refurb is no problem. Ebay full of people scared about Win7 end.

Still able to get robust Win7 PCs. Just update to H or Z, 87 or 97 motherboards with Haswell cpus, i3 or i5. You don't need to "upgrade", i3 is fine for your use.
So a Win7 Ceton6 Pcie with WMC is not HDR/4K capable and cannot be made so, that what you guys are saying? Not that Comcast is sending much if any 4K of course, but maybe HDR?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page