InfiniTV 4 - Where can I go from here? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
InfiniTV 4 - Where can I go from here?

All,

I currently use two InfiniTV 4 cards in my server in a network tuner configuration with two windows 7 HTPC's. I'm in the process of implementing EPG123 as a guide replacement but I would like to move the HTPC's to Windows 8.1. Is this still possible? Does Windows 8.1 support network tuners like 7 does? Does 8.1 support tuners locally? What are my options for maintaining live TV on my HTPC's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2019, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
All,

I currently use two InfiniTV 4 cards in my server in a network tuner configuration with two windows 7 HTPC's. I'm in the process of implementing EPG123 as a guide replacement but I would like to move the HTPC's to Windows 8.1. Is this still possible? Does Windows 8.1 support network tuners like 7 does? Does 8.1 support tuners locally? What are my options for maintaining live TV on my HTPC's?

I have used Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC for a limited time in an VM environment, mostly for testing with and it works fine. I think the limitation is that it no longer supported extenders (might be wrong though). Plus you will need the version of 8.1 Pro with the WMC option, which is a hard version to find since there are no product keys for that any longer. I still have my InfiniTV 4 card but haven't used it in ages. Still sitting in its box; since I live in the sticks with no cable company in my area I have no use for it.

But as far as WMC support with 8.1, its pretty much the same as it was with 7. And yes EPG123 is a better guide choice.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Why on earth would you want to move from Windows 7 to 8.1? WMC is exactly the same in both versions so there's no benefit in making the switch plus it is no longer available for download from the Microsoft store to install in 8.1 anyway. If you're switching over to EPG123 for your guide data then you're good to go. Just turn off automatic updates in Windows 7, not that there will ever be any more coming so it's probably not all that necessary. I would recommend using an A/V program to protect the PC from viruses since it will connect to the internet to download guide data. Other than that you can continue to use your InfiniTV 4 tuners for as long as you like. I've got several HTPCs running Windows 7 with EPG123 and don't ever plan to switch to any other OS. WMC is the only game in town for viewing and recording copy protected channels and Windows 7 includes it for free in every version except Home Basic. I believe it's also included in Vista, but is there really any need to mention that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2020, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just to close out this thread,

I chose to stick with Windows 7 but I did do an upgrade to a 64-bit version. This will allow me to do some gaming using emulationstation. I am running on an older MSI Media Live diva board and I had some concerns about whether I could use 64-bit with the Diva's 5.1 channel D2Audio card that I use to provide 5.1 audio, but it seems to work fine. I was also able to implement EPG123 for both HTPC's, and I think at this point I'm satisfied.

My only regret is that I'm forever locked out of Windows 8.1 which, as far as I am concerned, looks like an ideal HTPC interface. It's really a loss that Microsoft doesn't see that.

Thanks for all the assistance..

Last edited by ajkrishock; 01-06-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page