• 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2020, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked: 959
eBay Chenbro NR40700 cases

Anyone on AVS grab one of these Chenbro NR40700 48 bay chassis off of eBay? I was very tempted, and there was but one left, when I saw it, but I just didn't know
enough about the needed drive bays, and drive capacity it could handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chenpro NR40700.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	2662556   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsrdytf.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	2662558  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I just looked at that on ebay and the one thing that jumped out at me was the fact that it did not include any drive trays. I did a search on completed auctions and there were a lot of new server racks that sold pretty cheap but none of them had any drive trays. You could end up spending a small fortune to get 48 drive trays to fill this beast, assuming you can find them. I checked the Chenbro website and couldn't find a part number for the removable drive trays, but I did see some on ebay that said they were compatible with all Chenbro server racks. One thing that I noticed is that it says the maximum capacity it will support is 192TB. That's a maximum drive size of 4TB x 48. It appears that you can install pretty much any motherboard and CPU(s) you choose, but the controller cards that are compatible with the backplane may put a limitation on the maximum drive size. There may be other controllers available the will work with the unit, but I have no idea without further research.

I use a 24-bay 4U Supermicro rack in conjunction with a 2U 8-bay Supermicro rack for a total of 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, one cache drive, and a spare slot for performing pre-clear functions on new drives for my unRAID array. The server currently has a capacity of 159TB with lots of room for further expansion. The current maximum drive size I am using is 8TB, but I believe I can go even larger with the controllers I'm using if I ever have a desire to do so. I can't see myself going in that direction as I already have more media on the server than I will ever watch in my lifetime.

At first glance the Chenbro rack looks like a great deal, but you have to factor in everything else you will need for a working server and then see what the tally is. You can find used turnkey 24-bay 4U Supermicro server racks that come with drive trays, motherboard, CPU, Memory, controller cards and cables, and power supplies for about $400 delivered, give or take. Just add the server software and hard drives and you're up and running.
Tedd likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2020, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 211
The Chenbro NR40700 works just fine with any modern HDD/SSD. Once you're past the 2TB barrier, you're good for a very long time in terms of drive sizes. I have two of these with 48x 12TB drives each. That's > 0.5PB per chassis.
Tedd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
The Chenbro NR40700 works just fine with any modern HDD/SSD. Once you're past the 2TB barrier, you're good for a very long time in terms of drive sizes. I have two of these with 48x 12TB drives each. That's > 0.5PB per chassis.
Holy Crap! Is this for a business server or personal data? Mine is just for personal use. And I thought I was a data hoarder.
Tedd likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2020, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the useful input, guys.

I am kicking my butt, for letting logic over rule my gut check call.

A 24 bay Supermicro rack case, actually wouldn't buy me any expansion space. And a used server wouldn't be able to jump through the 4K optical disk playback hoopla, since that is
a checkbox. But I understand where that approach is a pretty solid one. I am actually looking to consolidate three systems into a single "forever" case, and put cores to work with some virtualized
machines. I figure that might not be all that expensive as it first appears, as a consolidation as such, would displace a fair amount of 9th generation hardware to sell off.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2020, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Holy Crap! Is this for a business server or personal data? Mine is just for personal use. And I thought I was a data hoarder.
Business. Spread out into two locations (replicated). One location (my home, the other is a colo) looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2664292  

Last edited by kapone; 01-04-2020 at 06:19 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There's a case back up. More information added to the auction, including the tray part number.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NR40700 tray part numbers.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2667472   Click image for larger version

Name:	size and weight.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	2667474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement