File Explorer - For Movie Files? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shark007

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 117
File Explorer - For Movie Files?

has anyone come across a windows-type file explorer for movie files? something that would list movie files the same way that windows explorer lists them (and other files) but also includes more info about each movie file, such as resolution, bit rate, colorspace, etc., etc...

using windows explorer you can attempt to make more info available about each file by clicking the window header and then selecting a description name, but not only is it really hit and miss for movie files but files in mkv containers really throws it a wrench and, if you have a lot of movies in a folder, it can grind things to a halt.

i've found a couple that really don't do the trick that well (don't remember their names, altho i do remember that they were pretty dated), and while mediainfo is a helpful tool, it's a file by file proposition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I use Tiny Media Manager as it is updated very regularly and is a standalone compact program.. It may require each movie in its own folder (as they should be for use in something like KODI). There is software that will convert a folder with individual files into folders with one click. Using KODI alone for a Netflix like GUI works well but TMM organizes each folder locally and you don't need to worry about backing up KODI's library.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2020, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I use Tiny Media Manager as it is updated very regularly and is a standalone compact program.. It may require each movie in its own folder (as they should be for use in something like KODI). There is software that will convert a folder with individual files into folders with one click. Using KODI alone for a Netflix like GUI works well but TMM organizes each folder locally and you don't need to worry about backing up KODI's library.

thanks very much, downloaded and am giving it try, looks like it might work for me altho it does a lot of things i'm really not interested in by default which can't be disabled, but thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With the basic k-lite codec pack installed, file explorer will show thumbs and list/sort/filter by most video/audio metadata properties. The tricky part is figuring out how explorer has them named, i.e. length=duration.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
With the basic k-lite codec pack installed, file explorer will show thumbs and list/sort/filter by most video/audio metadata properties. The tricky part is figuring out how explorer has them named, i.e. length=duration.
For clarification, it is the Icaros project developed by Xanashi that provides Windows Explorer with thumbnails and details such as video dimensions, duration, codec dtails etc within Windows Explorer itself. K-Lite has nothing to do with this. A stand alone version of Icaros is available on the Icaros Development forums.
SuperFist likes this.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
For clarification, it is the Icaros project developed by Xanashi that provides Windows Explorer with thumbnails and details such as video dimensions, duration, codec dtails etc within Windows Explorer itself. K-Lite has nothing to do with this. A stand alone version of Icaros is available on the Icaros Development forums.
Thanks for the info, Shark007. Icaros standalone looks very cool, think that was my last reason for using k-lite. Do you know if windows caches and indexes properties from Icaros or are they always looked up on-demand?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

gave icaros a try, great if you're interested in thumbnails but like media info you have to right click on the file to get the most info as far as i could tell.... i'm looking for a simple video file explorer that, in a file explorer format, i.e. listed view, show information about each video file such as color space, bit depth, fps and the usual stuff, so far no luck....
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2020, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Starsky, you would be better served to take your Icaros questions to the Icaros forum.

aeneas01, With Icaros installed, click View at the top of Windows Explorer, then select to use the 'Details pane'. Enjoy.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2020, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
Starsky, you would be better served to take your Icaros questions to the Icaros forum.

aeneas01, With Icaros installed, click View at the top of Windows Explorer, then select to use the 'Details pane'. Enjoy.
yep, tried that, didn't see anything for color space or bit depth.... actually bit depth is selectable but nothing appears when selected....
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 07:37 AM

aeneas01, any property shown in the details pane/tab can be added as a column in the list view, and can be used to sort/filter/search. Not sure how helpful you will find this, but the video compression column seems to be a key for video subtype which not readable per se, should be the same for any given format thus you could figure it out or look it up.

When I need all stream-level properties, I run a powershell/ffprobe script that outputs csv values recursively for a folder, I think MediaInfo can do this too, but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page