dvd fab player vs mkv rips - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 12
dvd fab player vs mkv rips

I've been ripping blu rays to MKV and playing with MPC HC. However there are discs which I will view only once and want a software player where I can pop in the disc and play. Tried Power dvd but it was too buggy. Any thoughts regarding DVD fab - specifically if the audio video quality is on par with mkv rips. Also, I recently purchased a 4k tv and want to play uhd discs without ripping - is a third party decrypter still required for use with dvd fab and also are there hardware requirements such as a uhd friendly drive or specific graphics card like those that are required when using madvr? Many thanks in advance -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
By the time you finish paying for a PC Blu-Ray drive, decrypting software and a software player it might be more convenient and cost effective just to get a standalone Blu-Ray player to play the occasional disc. You can get a basic player for as little as $40. If you want a lot of bells and whistles then you will obviously pay much more. I personally wouldn't bother with trying a PC-based playback setup for physical discs. A standalone player is much more convenient for that.

Last edited by captain_video; 01-10-2020 at 09:20 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2020, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
By the time you finish paying for a PC Blu-Ray drive, decrypting software and a software player it might be more convenient and cost effective just to get a standalone Blu-Ray player to play the occasional disc. You can get a basic player for as little as $40. If you want a lot of bells and whistles then you will obviously pay much more. I personally wouldn't bother with trying a PC-based playback setup for physical discs. A standalone player is much more convenient for that.
Thanks, Captain Video. Totally agree. Problem is my audio is a very good 2 channel system that does not use HDMI. And the I want the 2 channel lossless (decoded to pcm) track sent to my dac. It is my understanding that unless hdmi is used, in a stand alone player the 2 channel track is the lossy decoded to pcm. With a computer the decryption would allow me to send the lossless - that is what I'm doing now with mkv - but it's a royal pain to rip discs every time I want to watch a move I rent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post
Thanks, Captain Video. Totally agree. Problem is my audio is a very good 2 channel system that does not use HDMI. And the I want the 2 channel lossless (decoded to pcm) track sent to my dac. It is my understanding that unless hdmi is used, in a stand alone player the 2 channel track is the lossy decoded to pcm. With a computer the decryption would allow me to send the lossless - that is what I'm doing now with mkv - but it's a royal pain to rip discs every time I want to watch a move I rent.
If you're using a separate DAC then chances are you can get a Blu-Ray player that has a digital audio output that you can send to the DAC. The output may be limited to 5.1 audio but since you're only going to listen to it in stereo that shouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page