Help, I would like to get 5.1 Dolby Digital on HDMI - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2020, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help, I would like to get 5.1 Dolby Digital on HDMI

I have a stereo HDTV HDMI cable connected to a windows 10 PRO pc.
I have tried this here CRU.exe which supposedly modifies the EDID to fool the nvidia driver to send 5.1 Dolby through HDMI, but I can't get it, all it ever does is show up as stereo PCM
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/T...on-Utility-CRU

Tried joining that forum but nothing registers.

I know this can work as it works for a few others.
I have a Firetv stick also directly connected to the HDTV and I get DD 5.1 coming out from the HDTV coaxial port into my sony receiver.
I recently added an HDMI extractor splitter,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and that works fine with firetv stick only, still no DD5.1 from the HTPC.

I can only get DD 5.1 from the HTPC using the motherboard coaxial port directly into the Sony reciever. I have to swap coaxial sound cables constantly just to hear 5.1 surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Are you using the HDMI output from the motherboard or graphics card? I know you can allow pass through of the audio when using a graphics card HDMI output, but I have no idea what you get from the motherboard HDMI output. Chances are you'll only get what you have configured in the sound device configuration on the HTPC. It sounds like you have the sound output configured as stereo and not 5.1 channels.

What are you using as your source? I'm confused as to how you are feeding the audio signal to the HTPC. I have no idea what you mean by stereo HDTV HDMI cable. The TV does not send audio back to the HTPC via HDMI. You need to provide a bit more information about your setup.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Are you using the HDMI output from the motherboard or graphics card? I know you can allow pass through of the audio when using a graphics card HDMI output, but I have no idea what you get from the motherboard HDMI output. Chances are you'll only get what you have configured in the sound device configuration on the HTPC. It sounds like you have the sound output configured as stereo and not 5.1 channels.

What are you using as your source? I'm confused as to how you are feeding the audio signal to the HTPC. I have no idea what you mean by stereo HDTV HDMI cable. The TV does not send audio back to the HTPC via HDMI. You need to provide a bit more information about your setup.
I got it working. I had to create a modified HDTV driver. That lets Nvidia driver put out dolby digital onto the HDMI cable.
I have an older no HDMI Sony AV reciever, an HDTV, and PC running windows 10 and a firetv stick and a HDMI switch with audioextractor.

Basically PC to HDMI switch with audio extractor, then onto HDTV, coaxial audio out on back of HDTV to coax audio in on reciever. The FIRETV stick is plugged into the HDMI switch
Here is my link with all the info.
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audi...-whatever.html

Audio is not fed to the HTCP, the HTPC feeds audio out to the attached devices.
HDMI out is coming from the NVidia graphics card.
Now get this too, the Nvidia card has a display port and DVI port only. I use a PASSIVE display port to HDMI adapter, and that passes video and audio fine.

the HDMI switch I can have 4 input sources. And DD audio appears on both the switch coaxial port and out the TV coaxial port simultaneously. Really all I needed was a HDMI switch, not one that also has an audio extractor.

Last edited by sdowney717; 01-12-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2020, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Get a AVR that has HDMI it will make your life 10 times easier. The used market is flooded with older HDMI capable receivers as users upgrade to all the new 4K standards. With all the hassle and cost to keep that dinosaur alive it just isn't worth it and maybe you can repurpose it just for it's power amps.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Get a AVR that has HDMI it will make your life 10 times easier. The used market is flooded with older HDMI capable receivers as users upgrade to all the new 4K standards. With all the hassle and cost to keep that dinosaur alive it just isn't worth it and maybe you can repurpose it just for it's power amps.
The hassle is over and done as it is now working fine.
I know what your saying. They design these things today for the AV receiver to be the HDMI switch hub. I have no current plans to upgrade to 4k, but whenever we get a new TV. it will be 4k. The HDMI switch I got clearanced for $16 at Amazon, it does 4k 60 hz , HDR, HDCP 2.2 and so far has been working ok, unlike the first one I bought which was crud.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had been given a FireTv stick and when hooking it up found I really needed a HDMI switch as I then had 3 HDMI devices and the HDTV only switches two. And I had been getting DD sound from the coax port on the back of the HTCP and was using an old analog switch box to flip between various coaxial inputs, so solving the Nvidia HDMI DD issue fixed things much better. Dont have to switch audio and video separately anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page