Correct settings for 4K@60Hz on Windows? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Correct settings for [email protected] on Windows?

Hi,
I had an older PC laying around with an i5 760 and an old 560Ti, and I decided to invest in a 1050Ti to get that sweet HDMI-out (the 560 only did DVI and thus no 4K HDR for me) and use the PC as a "HTPC" (except a bit louder - it used to be a gaming rig 9 years ago).
Everything works all hunky-dory, my 4K BD rips look and sound amazing (MPC + madVR is love), and I'm finally getting TrueHD Atmos (which was not working over ARC on the TV or over the DVI from the PC ofc), BUT I have trouble getting the system to output [email protected] (neither for videos only nor for Windows generally).
The setup is the PC with the Asus 1050Ti, which is connected to an LG SK10Y soundbar via HDMI (High speed HDMI cable with Ethernet, tried a couple of cables, none helped) (yes, a soundbar, please don't hate, I got the bar and the rear SPK8s for 700 USD so for me gettin 7.1.2 for that price is a win) which is then connected to an LG OLED B7.
The soundbar should be able to pass through [email protected] (see https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/lg/sk10y - "Finally, the SK10Y supports HDR10, and can passthrough 4k @ 60 Hz @ 10 bit"), and the TV is capable of 120Hz and the graphics card should be more than enough for 60 fps video playback even on 4k.
I have HDR turned on in Windows 10, however, I'm stuck with 30Hz. Whenever I try to switch to 60Hz on the nVidia Control Panel, I only get a black screen. I tried Full RGB, YcBcr, on 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 8-10-12 bpc, full color range, limited color range whatever, and I still get the same result - whenever I switch to 60Hz, all I get is a black screen. Given all the components SHOULD allow me to get 60Hz, I wonder if anyone could help me find the correct settings? How do I solve this? What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
First step of troubleshooting is to bypass the soundbar and connect directly to the TV.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Make sure all your HDMI cables are 18Gb certified. If you didn't get them recently I doubt they are.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_pn View Post
First step of troubleshooting is to bypass the soundbar and connect directly to the TV.
Connecting directly to the TV enabled for 60Hz. I guess the soundbar's passthrough might be rubbish...
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 341
How are you using HDR with Windows? Whenever I enable that, my image gets super dark with low contrast and saturation.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
How are you using HDR with Windows? Whenever I enable that, my image gets super dark with low contrast and saturation.
Yes that was my big problem, too... What I noticed is that even if you have HDR off for windows, MPC-HC will override those settings and will kick into HDR mode if you open an HDR movie. It still does get super dark though. There's two things you can do - under Windows HD color settings (looks like a link where you enable HDR in Windows) there's a slider with which you can make SDR content brighter. Plus I increased the gamma in the nVidia control panel, that seems to fix the darkness issue (although I cannot tell which gamma produces the best image quality, so that's more of a workaround).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
60hz , htpc , htpc 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page