Newbie needing help with getting surround sound from PC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Newbie needing help with getting surround sound from PC

I want to get 5.1 surround sound from my PC using my 5.1 home theater system but I couldn't figure out what sound card to buy and what kind of cables, output and inputs to use to connect it to my receiver. I'm kinda lost and I'd appreciate any help.

Here's the backside of my receiver:

Click image for larger version

Name:	receiver_inputs.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2674010

Does this receiver support true 5.1 input? It supports DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD/DigitalPlus/ProLogic II.

What kind of sound card should I buy? (my on-board sound card doesn't support surround sound)

What kind of connection should I use? What output from sound card to what input on receiver using what kind of cable?

I'd appreciate any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 445
You don't need a sound card. Get a graphics card that supports the latest HDMI and HDCP specs. There are lots of threads here that discuss this topic so do some searching. Configure your playback software to allow passthrough of the audio signal via HDMI and the receiver will decode it and send the surround sound to your speakers. Check the specs of your receiver to answer the questions about what it supports. We can't tell by just looking at a pic of the back panel without knowing the make and model of the receiver.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 615
If you PC has HDMI out that is all you need. The receiver will support at least 5.1 assuming you have 5 speakers and a sub attached. HDMI cable from PC to HDMI in on the receiver. HDMI out from receiver to HDMI in on the TV. IF the PC only has VGA then you need to add a Video card that has HDMI. You PC may also have a Display port if it doesn't have HDMI and it "might" support audio with a Display port to HDMI adapter.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
We can't tell by just looking at a pic of the back panel without knowing the make and model of the receiver.
It's a Philips htb5570d/12 (sorry cant post direct link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
You don't need a sound card. Get a graphics card that supports the latest HDMI and HDCP specs. There are lots of threads here that discuss this topic so do some searching. Configure your playback software to allow passthrough of the audio signal via HDMI and the receiver will decode it and send the surround sound to your speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
If you PC has HDMI out that is all you need. The receiver will support at least 5.1 assuming you have 5 speakers and a sub attached. HDMI cable from PC to HDMI in on the receiver. HDMI out from receiver to HDMI in on the TV. IF the PC only has VGA then you need to add a Video card that has HDMI. You PC may also have a Display port if it doesn't have HDMI and it "might" support audio with a Display port to HDMI adapter.
I have a Nvidia 2070. It says it has HDCP 2.2. I tried GPU->HDMI->TV and PC->HDMI->Receiver->HDMI->TV but in both in Window sound output configuration there was option for Stereo only. Do you think there should be an option and there is a problem with drivers?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With it setup PC (2070) HDMI to receiver HDMI in and receiver HDMI out to TV you should have a sound option in the PC audio setup called HDMI (receiver name). You want it to be setup for stereo only but other options should be available. What ever software media player you are using should be setup to bitstream the audio so it bypasses the windows setting anyways. For multichannel PCM leave it on stereo so the AVR decodes it or else it will confuse the AVR if you setup multichannel in windows.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Liked: 4012
Quote:
With it setup PC (2070) HDMI to receiver HDMI in and receiver HDMI out to TV you should have a sound option in the PC audio setup called HDMI (receiver name). You want it to be setup for stereo only but other options should be available. What ever software media player you are using should be setup to bitstream the audio so it bypasses the windows setting anyways. For multichannel PCM leave it on stereo so the AVR decodes it or else it will confuse the AVR if you setup multichannel in windows.
First, I completely agree. You want to bitstream the audio from your player.

However, the AVR won't care what your setup is in windows between 2.0 and 5.1 or 7.1 if you're bitstreaming. The settings in windows between 2.0, 5.1 etc is only used when windows plays the audio via the windows mixer. Setting 5.1 is useful for gaming and getting the game to decode in surround. 2.0 is best when playing music so it lets your AVR actually see stereo input rather than multichannel input with only 2 channels populated.

Finally, 2 channel is preferred before loading your video media player (kodi, plex, or whatever) and using bitstreaming. The reason on this one is because if you have multiple input formats. Lets say you have a 5.1 track or an atmos track. You can pass this through via bitstreaming just fine and the receiver will decode it. The problem is when you have a 2 channel source. The 2 channel source will be decoded by windows and sent to the AVR. If you have windows set to 2 channel in this case, it will send stereo and the AVR will upscale that nicely using all your speakers. However, if you have windows set to 5.1 in this case, windows will decode that 2 channel audio, populate the left and right front channels but still send multi channel PCM of 5.1 channels to the AVR. Since the AVR gets 5.1 channels, it will *not* upscale that and the result is your only speakers working is the left and right front.

Hope all that makes sense.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
First, I completely agree. You want to bitstream the audio from your player.

However, the AVR won't care what your setup is in windows between 2.0 and 5.1 or 7.1 if you're bitstreaming. The settings in windows between 2.0, 5.1 etc is only used when windows plays the audio via the windows mixer. Setting 5.1 is useful for gaming and getting the game to decode in surround. 2.0 is best when playing music so it lets your AVR actually see stereo input rather than multichannel input with only 2 channels populated.

Finally, 2 channel is preferred before loading your video media player (kodi, plex, or whatever) and using bitstreaming. The reason on this one is because if you have multiple input formats. Lets say you have a 5.1 track or an atmos track. You can pass this through via bitstreaming just fine and the receiver will decode it. The problem is when you have a 2 channel source. The 2 channel source will be decoded by windows and sent to the AVR. If you have windows set to 2 channel in this case, it will send stereo and the AVR will upscale that nicely using all your speakers. However, if you have windows set to 5.1 in this case, windows will decode that 2 channel audio, populate the left and right front channels but still send multi channel PCM of 5.1 channels to the AVR. Since the AVR gets 5.1 channels, it will *not* upscale that and the result is your only speakers working is the left and right front.

Hope all that makes sense.
I use my PC both for movies and gaming so I'd like to get surround from both if possible.

I have an option in AVR for Audio with options for Auto and Bitstream. It's default as Auto, should I also set it to Bitstream?

Here's my Sound options:

post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2020, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Liked: 4012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deastr View Post
I use my PC both for movies and gaming so I'd like to get surround from both if possible.

I have an option in AVR for Audio with options for Auto and Bitstream. It's default as Auto, should I also set it to Bitstream?
Bitstreaming is not set in the AVR. It's set in the player.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the Name and model of your AVR? Is it a Samsung? Something is not right as you should have more selections then just stereo if it supports multi-channel audio. Do you have it connected via hdmi from pc to avr to display?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page