• 1 Post By Schurter
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So lost.

Planning my HT hopefully basement will be finished in 2 mounths.

Leaning towards jvc nz3.

So do I need a HTPC
Do I need madvr
What media player to watch the UHD movies.

Going to watch

Netflix
Amazon prim
Uhd ripped movies

Going to have 5.4.4 audio

Thanks Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post

Leaning towards jvc nz3.

So do I need a HTPC
Do I need madvr

Going to watch

Netflix
Amazon prim
Uhd ripped movies

Thanks Jeremy
Short answer: NO. I built myself a $3K HTPC with an $869 video card (RTX 2080)... then JVC released a new firmware that enabled Frame Adapt HDR which essentially does 70-80% of what madVR does. For me that makes the Apple TV 4K my go-to player for all Atmos/HDR streaming (Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, etc.) and NON-Atmos ripped materials, and the Shield TV 4K for Atmos ripped materials. Ask me how many times I've used my HTPC to watch a movie? Zero. I've tested it briefly, decided it's not worth the hassle.

Of course others will disagree.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.35:1 CIH AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
ATV 4K / ShieldTV / HTPC Kodi/MadVR / 24TB Plex Server (uncomp. UHD rips)
Klipsch RP-160Mx3 / RBH A-610 x 6 (surr) / Kef Ci160ER x 4 (clg) / HSU ULS-15
LR: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #3 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Quote:

Leaning towards jvc nz3.

So do I need a HTPC
Do I need madvr

Going to watch

Netflix
Amazon prim
Uhd ripped movies

Thanks Jeremy
Short answer: NO. I built myself a $3K HTPC with an $869 video card (RTX 2080)... then JVC released a new firmware that enabled Frame Adapt HDR which essentially does 70-80% of what madVR does. For me that makes the Apple TV 4K my go-to player for all Atmos/HDR streaming (Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, etc.) and NON-Atmos ripped materials, and the Shield TV 4K for Atmos ripped materials. Ask me how many times I've used my HTPC to watch a movie? Zero. I've tested it briefly, decided it's not worth the hassle.

Of course others will disagree. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
This jvc has auto tone mapping for hdr BUT no frame adapt hdr. Unless there's an update coming.

Not an apple guy or have any of there products.

Nvidia Shield 4K I guess is the next option.

Am I understandingthis correctly that shield can play UHD ripped movies off my laptop.

Or am I looking at plex with derect play ( is there a free version )

And let the reciver fig out the audo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 11:47 AM

Refinement

Quote:
This jvc has auto tone mapping for hdr BUT no frame adapt hdr. Unless there's an update coming.

Am I understandingthis correctly that shield can play UHD ripped movies off my laptop.

That's a bummer it doesn't have frame adapt. Still, with 3000 lumens, you shouldn't need frame adapt as badly. But my understanding of madVR is it tonemaps HDR to SDR mostly for the benefit of either PJs w/o HDR or low brightness HDR PJs. I hope someone corrects me if I'm not right on that.

But I'm perfectly happy with the efficacy of my HDR, so I don't feel the need for madVR in my case: I get good shadow detail (sometimes too good, messes up some dark scenes IMO) and really effective highlights and glare/specular highlights.

As for Shield TV vs Apple TV 4K, I've read a lot of comparisons, and the consensus is the ATV is more polished than Shield TV in terms of UI and even HDR/SDR switching, intuitiveness. And generally the apps for the ATV are better/more refined than the Shield TV apps. But if you only want one device, it has to be the Shield TV, as ATV won't pass Atmos from ripped UHD Blurays, only from officially sanctioned streaming apps. Shield TV passed Atmos with little futzing. And the new version of AndroidTV seems to be noticeably better than before, but there's still a refinement gap, IMO.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.35:1 CIH AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
LR: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
post #5 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 AM

Oops, forgot to respond to playing back media from your laptop: you may simply be able to plug your laptop in to your AV Processor if it can pass bitstream audio through HDMI. In this case you may not need even a Shield TV, as long as you have Windows 10 Fall Creator's Edition or later and a GPU capable of HDR. But I use Plex Media Server and on the Apple TV, Infuse as a client app, on Shield TV, I find the Plex Media Player with advanced decoding works with no hiccups I've been able to see so far.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Quote:

That's a bummer it doesn't have frame adapt. Still, with 3000 lumens, you shouldn't need frame adapt as badly. But my understanding of madVR is it tonemaps HDR to SDR mostly for the benefit of either PJs w/o HDR or low brightness HDR PJs. I hope someone corrects me if I'm not right on that.

But I'm perfectly happy with the efficacy of my HDR, so I don't feel the need for madVR in my case: I get good shadow detail (sometimes too good, messes up some dark scenes IMO) and really effective highlights and glare/specular highlights.

As for Shield TV vs Apple TV 4K, I've read a lot of comparisons, and the consensus is the ATV is more polished than Shield TV in terms of UI and even HDR/SDR switching, intuitiveness. And generally the apps for the ATV are better/more refined than the Shield TV apps. But if you only want one device, it has to be the Shield TV, as ATV won't pass Atmos from ripped UHD Blurays, only from officially sanctioned streaming apps. Shield TV passed Atmos with little futzing. And the new version of AndroidTV seems to be noticeably better than before, but there's still a refinement gap, IMO.
Thank you.

I believe I have some reading and YouTube watch. .

I can just plug in my external drive into shield.
Boom play moves.
Hdmi to av receiver to project.
This seems easier
post #7 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 611
It's very frustrating as there is still no one box solution. Shield won't do ATMOS on Netflix not sure about prime. ATV supports the most streaming services with ATMOS. I have FireTV,s and that supports ATMOS on Prime but not Netflix. HTPC with windows 10 supports ATMOS on Netflix but no other streaming services. HTPC with MadVR is by far the best for playing rips with 4K/HDR/ATMOS.
davidahn likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 PM

Exclamation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
It's very frustrating as there is still no one box solution. Shield won't do ATMOS on Netflix not sure about prime. ATV supports the most streaming services with ATMOS. I have FireTV,s and that supports ATMOS on Prime but not Netflix. HTPC with windows 10 supports ATMOS on Netflix but no other streaming services. HTPC with MadVR is by far the best for playing rips with 4K/HDR/ATMOS.
@rekbones , I was not aware that Shield TV didn't support Atmos on Netflix. I'll have to play around with it some more, even though I'm 90% Apple TV. Atmos didn't really matter to me before I finished my theater, since despite my Atmos equipment, I only had 3 front speakers and a sub actually hooked up. Now that I have a fully 7.1.4 theater (only as of a week ago), I'm much keener to make Atmos work on every piece of media that supports it. I'll check it out further on Shield TV.

Seems like the device that's closest to full Atmos support is Apple TV, if they would only not BLOCK the Atmos metadata from Plex Media Player and Infuse/Infuse Pro.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I use a Shield in my HT and love it. I primarily use Plex and Vudu and get full Atmos and UHD with HDR through both. I don't use any other video processors as my Sony PJ uses the "German gamma curves" and I find the picture to be outstanding letting my PJ do the tone mapping. I don't use Netflix so I can't speak to that through the Shield, and while I do have Amazon Prime, for most movies, I use Vudu. I do also watch YouTube and YouTube TV through the shield, which does great too. I also can't speak to comparing the Shield to ATV as I don't own an ATV.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #10 of 12 Old 01-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Can the 2017 nvdia shield pro handle 4k hdr ripped movies for playback or only the latest model?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobenavidesahavia View Post
Quote:

Can the 2017 nvdia shield pro handle 4k hdr ripped movies for playback or only the latest model?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
No idea.

Learning about the product..
post #12 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Per the The Verge, the 2019 version of the Shield TV does support Netflix Atmos:

"The 2019 Shields support Dolby Vision, HDR10 (not HDR10+), Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. So you’ll find plenty of 4K HDR movies and TV shows from all the usual suspects, and the Netflix app finally outputs Atmos on Shield."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/28/...specs-features

I have the 2017 version so I can't personally verify this.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page