Cheapest GPU for Netflix 4K + Dolby Atmos ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2020, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Cheapest GPU for Netflix 4K + Dolby Atmos ?

My HTPC has a Ryzen 2700 CPU and an nVidia GT 1030 card with 2GB of GDDR5 RAM. Passively cooled also and completely quiet.

Sadly, the Win10 Netflix app only plays video in HD. But it does pass Dolby Atmos audio to my receiver ...

On my Chromecast Ultra and Fire stick 4K, it's the opposite. They both play Netflix in 4K, but audio in DD 5.1 only. Amazon Prime Video works in 4K + Atmos on both sticks, though. Just not Netflix.

I have an 11.1 system with 4 subs, so I find it a shame to miss on the combination of 4K and Atmos.

The Netflix support page on 4K on PC at
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23931
says you need
Intel's 7th generation Core CPU (i3, i5, or i7 models in the 7xxx or 7Yxx series) or newer, or a NVIDIA GPU that meets these requirements.
and nVidia says :

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...on-nvidia-gpus

Apparently my GTX 1030 is excluded from support by nVidia, even though it's a Pascal GPU. I'm pretty upset.
There is no GTX 1050 or higher available under $150 new as far as I can tell. That seems high a price to pay just to be able to have both 4K and Atmos on Netflix. I am not a gamer, and am tired of upgrading my nVidia GPU every 2 years without really getting benefits. I'd really like to see DSD HDMI support for example. I have been waiting over a decade for that one ...

Anyway, it seems like some AMD GPUs actually support Netflix 4K, contrary to what the Netflix support page says. Does anyone know which AMD GPUs actually work with this ? Ideally something sub $100 and passively cooled. Only HDMI 2.0 is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2020, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I'll never understand why many people that spend thousands or often tens of thousands on their home theaters balk at paying a few hundred for a graphics card. Most modern cards' fans don't spin at all until you put them under load, which won't happen while streaming 4K video. I get that everybody likes to save money but in this hobby you should be used to paying for features you'll never use. For instance, my main system's AVR is 7.1 and my bedroom system is Atmos-capable but I have no interest in anything beyond 5.1. All of the 5.1 AVRs at the time I put these systems together were low-end junk so in essence I had to pay for amp channels and processing I didn't need to get the quality I was after.

Just a matter of perception I suppose.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2020, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
I'll never understand why many people that spend thousands or often tens of thousands on their home theaters balk at paying a few hundred for a graphics card. Most modern cards' fans don't spin at all until you put them under load, which won't happen while streaming 4K video. I get that everybody likes to save money but in this hobby you should be used to paying for features you'll never use. For instance, my main system's AVR is 7.1 and my bedroom system is Atmos-capable but I have no interest in anything beyond 5.1. All of the 5.1 AVRs at the time I put these systems together were low-end junk so in essence I had to pay for amp channels and processing I didn't need to get the quality I was after.

Just a matter of perception I suppose.

Look, I have spent well over $100K over the years in electronics over the last couple of decades. But I have a goal to retire some day, sooner rather than later. So I'd like to minimize expenses going forward.
I think my request is a legitimate one. I'd like to hear if AMD has something that works and at what price point. If the answer is that there is nothing new below $150, so be it, I'll get something on the used market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 611
The AppleTV 4K will play Netflix in Atmos along with most other streaming apps (the most supported of any of the streaming boxes). It is frustrating as to why no one box solution works. Netflix requires 4 GB of memory to support 4K in a graphics card eliminating the max of 2 GB in the 1030. Used 1050ti's are cheap and it is true the fans never come on for just streaming 4K so still silent.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The AppleTV 4K will play Netflix in Atmos along with most other streaming apps (the most supported of any of the streaming boxes).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Apple TV box needs to be controlled from another Apple device, and I don't own any (no iPhone, iPad or Mac). There is unfortunately no Apple TV app for Android phones.

Apple brought it's Apple TV app to the Amazon Fire stick 4K, however. I tested it earlier today, and the app shows movies in 4K from my Movies Anywhere collection which is linked to iTunes. Unfortunately, the audio is not in Dolby Atmos, only in 5.1 . When I play the same movie in the Movies Anywhere app, they stream with Atmos on both the Firestick 4K and Chromecast Ultra.

Quote:
It is frustrating as to why no one box solution works.
+1000 !!! It was a lot simpler with the black & white TV I grew up with in France that could get all 3 channels via OTA, with snow.

Quote:
Netflix requires 4 GB of memory to support 4K in a graphics card eliminating the max of 2 GB in the 1030. Used 1050ti's are cheap and it is true the fans never come on for just streaming 4K so still silent.
Actually they list 3GB minimum, not 4GB. I haven't had any luck finding a cheap 1050ti (or higher) I can actually buy for under $100. Nothing on Amazon. Craigslist sellers list plenty, but just don't answer their emails (I have emailed many 4 days on!). Ebay "buy it now" listings all come above $100 including shipping & CA sales tax.

I am still looking for information on AMD GPUs that might work for Netflix 4K + Atmos, if there any. Netflix support says there are none. But Google searches seems to imply there are some.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...deo-cards.html
The Radeon 5700 series are a $300 GPU though, so I would definitely pass on that. Is there anything cheaper from AMD that works ?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2020, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Apple TV box needs to be controlled from another Apple device, and I don't own any (no iPhone, iPad or Mac). There is unfortunately no Apple TV app for Android phones.
No the ATV is a standalone streamer just like the others. FireTV, Roku and Shield make up the others in the top 4 streamers. I don't believe you need to be sighed up for Apple TV to use it just like you don't need to have Amazon Prime for the FireTV.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
No the ATV is a standalone streamer just like the others. FireTV, Roku and Shield make up the others in the top 4 streamers. I don't believe you need to be sighed up for Apple TV to use it just like you don't need to have Amazon Prime for the FireTV.

I wasn't wondering about the tie between the Apple TV Plus service and the Apple TV device. What I was wondering was, how to select any content from any provider to stream onto the Apple TV device if I don't have an iOS device or Mac to select it, absent Android apps that can stream onto the Apple TV. Are there any ?

For example with Netflix, I can use the Netflix Android app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Android phone, and after I have found the content using the virtual keyboard, I can then select to stream it onto the Chromecast Ultra or Firestick 4K. Same with the Amazon Prime Video app on Android - it shows both streamers. Are you saying that if I had an Apple TV device, it would also show up in both of these Android apps ?

Looks like the Vudu Android app is different - it only lets me cast onto the Chromecast Ultra, but doesn't see the Amazon Firestick 4K. I have to use the Amazon RF remote and the Vudu app on the Firestick to select content, though that would be inconvenient (more on this below). But since Vudu already works with full 4K HDR and Atmos on the Chromecast Ultra, there is no reason to use the Firestick.

I see that the Apple TV does come with an the RF remote control, but it would be challenging to do content searches with only that. Apple's remote might support Siri for voice input also. I tried that yesterday for the first time with the Firestick . Seems Alexa just can't deal with my French accent. Much worse than Google assistant, which is already comically useless for selecting classical music pieces in Google Play Music when driving. I don't have much hope that Siri would fare better :-(

Anyway, this is diverging significantly from the topic of this particular forum which is for HTPC; and the thread which is about GPUs for HTPC. I plan on keeping the HTPC. I even have 2 HTPCs in the house. One is in the home theater with the 4K projector. The other HTPC in the master bedroom upstairs with an HDTV. It's using an Intel iGPU. I also have 3 other PCs in my home office also on a KVM; one server with iGPU, and two other with nVidia GPUs. I have been building my own PCs for almost 3 decades. The cost of GPU upgrades adds up, especially if more than one machine gets upgraded. I do video encoding with one of the desktops, and might upgrade the GTX 960 4GB that it has eventually. I would much rather buy 4 or 5 $60 - $80 previous-generation GPUs as upgrades (if, say a used GTX 1050 Ti/1060 could actually be had for that price) than 1 or 2 brand new current generation GPUs that cost $150 - $250 a piece like the GTX 1650/1660.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-03-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 515
You don't need an iOS device to use Apple TV but you do need an Apple Account in order to install apps. And without an Apple device, either iPhone or iPad, it is virtually impossible to login to that apple account because Apple enables two-factor authentication on all Apple accounts.

As for casting from phone to ATV, it doesn't work very well. Theoretically, both Netflix and YouTube have a standard protocol to cast to devices with the corresponding app installed. My experience with YouTube (I don't have Netflix account to test) is that it doesn't work 99% of the time, e.g. when you choose Cast target in YouTube app (either iPhone or Android Phone), my Apple TV 4K often doesn't show up. So, to casting the content, you often rely on AirPlay screen mirroring to do it (not the best way to view video content).

Now the biggest problem is you really can't play any local network contents (DLNA) without a Mac or without going through some (often paid) 3rd party apps.

I have Android TV, Roku and Apple TV 4K. In case of pure streaming from the device (no phone involved), I use Apple TV all the time because it is just much better integrated and reliable to use. I use Android TV mainly for app support of HDHomerun TV/DVR access. Roku is now rarely used because it is no better than ATV and don't support my HDHomerun viewing due to its lackluster video codec support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page