Suggestions for a new TV tuner card - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Question Suggestions for a new TV tuner card

I currently have a Silicon Dust HR2 tuner. This is an OTA tuner connected to my HTPC via an Ethernet connection. Last night I was confronted with the fact that the picture breaks up but the same channel, connnected to the same antenna my CM700-PAL has a perfect picture without any issues.

So at this point I want to abandon the HR2 and purchase a new OTA (for the US market) tuner card from my HTPC. I would like some suggestions. Thank you in advanced.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Any of the newer HDHR ATSC tuners are perfectly fine. If you want more tuners you can get the Quatro.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I am reluctant to go with another SiliconDust product.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 515
HDHR network tuners are the most flexible in that once connected to your home network, all your home devices like smartphone, PCs, Android tablets and iPads all can watch TVs using HDHR apps. Even most smart TVs can access the tuner via DLNA functionality. However, their OTA tuners do tend to be slightly less sensitive than other OTA tuners. But all you need is really a better antenna or antenna amps.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I am reluctant to go with another SiliconDust product.
About the only other tuners that I could recommend would be the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD with four tuners. It's a PCI-e internal tuner. I believe they still make a dual tuner PCI-e model as well.

FWIW, I've tried literally dozens of different tuners. I've tried networked tuners, USB tuners, PCI tuners, and PCI-e tuners and pretty much anything from Hauppauge or SiliconDust work quite well.

I agree with what Foxbat21 said about the HDHR tuner sensitivity. I have a HDHR Quatro for OTA and I suffered from severe pixelation and freezing for a long time before I finally found the right antenna for my location. I kept trying antennas recommended by sites like TVFool.com, Antennaweb.org, and solidsignal.com and none of them could pull in the local Baltimore channels with a clear picture, and I'm only about 10 miles from the broadcast towers but I have a lot of tall trees between my house and the towers. I recently discovered the recommended antennas are mostly optimized for UHF reception. I wasn't aware that a couple of the old VHF channels were still broadcasting in VHF and will be moving to another VHF channel when the channel repack occurs.

My house is in a low-lying area surrounded by tall trees but is clear to the south where I have a 2nd antenna pointed at the Washington DC channels that were about 30-35 miles away. I was getting a better picture from the DC stations than I was from the Baltimore VHF channels. I finally found an antenna that gave me higher gain for the upper VHF channels as well as having good reception for UHF. I used to blame my HDHR tuners for the problem but now they work great. FWIW, I had the same problem with lots of other PCI-e tuners so it wasn't the fault of the HDHR units. A proper antenna for your location is paramount. I'm now using a ClearStream 5 antenna for the Baltimore stations and a ClearStream 4 for the DC channels.

Last edited by captain_video; 02-06-2020 at 01:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
About the only other tuners that I could recommend would be the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD with four tuners. It's a PCI-e internal tuner. I believe they still make a dual tuner PCI-e model as well.

FWIW, I've tried literally dozens of different tuners. I've tried networked tuners, USB tuners, PCI tuners, and PCI-e tuners and pretty much anything from Hauppauge or SiliconDust work quite well.

I agree with what Foxbat21 said about the HDHR tuner sensitivity. I have a HDHR Quatro for OTA and I suffered from severe pixelation and freezing for a long time before I finally found the right antenna for my location. I kept trying antennas recommended by sites like TVFool.com, Antennaweb.org, and solidsignal.com and none of them could pull in the local Baltimore channels with a clear picture, and I'm only about 10 miles from the broadcast towers but I have a lot of tall trees between my house and the towers. I recently discovered the recommended antennas are mostly optimized for UHF reception. I wasn't aware that a couple of the old VHF channels were still broadcasting in VHF and will be moving to another VHF channel when the channel repack occurs.

My house is in a low-lying area surrounded by tall trees but is clear to the south where I have a 2nd antenna pointed at the Washington DC channels that were about 30-35 miles away. I was getting a better picture from the DC stations than I was from the Baltimore VHF channels. I finally found an antenna that gave me higher gain for the upper VHF channels as well as having good reception for UHF. I used to blame my HDHR tuners for the problem but now they work great. FWIW, I had the same problem with lots of other PCI-e tuners so it wasn't the fault of the HDHR units. A proper antenna for your location is paramount. I'm now using a ClearStream 5 antenna for the Baltimore stations and a ClearStream 4 for the DC channels.
As I mentioned in my first post, I have a Channel Master CM-7000PAL connected to the same antenna. It has no issues with any of the stations. However it does not have a functioning EPG which my HTPC does. I will purchase a Hauppauge tuner card from Amazon and then return it if there is no improvement. I really don't use the networking abilities of my current unit, the only thing accessing it is the HTPC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page