Ethernet Jack - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2020, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ethernet Jack

sorry guys I am not sure if this is the appropriate spot for this post.

This will probably sound dumb, but how does an ethernet jack work? meaning I have my pc in basement hardwired and connected via my router. i have an ethernet jack right next to the router and another ethernet jack in my office on the 2nd floor. so if I wanted to be connected to my pc hardwired in my office how exactly would I do this? do i need to create a lan network? i know if i take an ethernet wire and plug into wall and my pc that would not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Assuming the two jacks are connected by Ethernet cable behind the walls, all you need to do is get two Ethernet cables. Connect one from the wall Jack to your router's LAN port. Another cable connect from your Office wall Jack and office PC and you are done. If it didn't work, the two jacks are probably not connected behind the walls.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2020, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ethernet Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjells View Post
how does an ethernet jack work?
cjells,

It's different from your 115V power lines. Powerline cables can have several sockets (so one switch can turn on all the lights in a room). Ethernet cables can have connectors only at the two ends.

As Foxbat said, if the in-wall cable goes directly from your upstairs office to the basement, connect your office computer to the router via that cable.

However, I assume there are more Ethernet jacks than the two you've mentioned. If so, they ALL lead back to a closet (where the home's previous owner may have put his router). None of the jacks would be directly connected.

I would guess the closet has a few Ethernet cables terminated with plugs (not wall plates). If so, connect all of them with an "unmanaged gigabit Ethernet switch" like this

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ether.../dp/B0000BVYT3

The installation guide shows which port should be connected to your router.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjells View Post
do i need to create a lan network?
cjells,

Your router automatically created a LAN and told your basement PC how to join it. Soon your upstairs office computer will be on the LAN.

What else might you do with your LAN ?

If there's an Ethernet wall-plate near your TV, you might choose to stream movies via the LAN.

A "wireless access point" connected to the LAN (upstairs) could give you a good Wi-Fi signal in places the basement Wi-Fi/router doesn't cover very well.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page