Any Receivers have proper colorspace support? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any Receivers have proper colorspace support?

I've had an Onkyo receiver since mid 2012, and it's started to crap out on me so I need to replace it. Up until now I've run my video card split, with one HDMI going directly to my 4K TV, and one HDMI going to the receiver so I can have 7.1 audio and still have 4K HDR display. I would LIKE to just run one cable to receiver and use 4K passthrough.

This past weekend I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR797, and when I plug into it Windows tells me that it can only do 8bpc, YCbCr 4:2:0. This is, weirdly, WORSE than the old HT-R591 I've been using, which had full RGB 4:4:4 support. So I can't turn on HDR in Windows display settings (I can click the button to turn it on, but it will immediately turn back off again), which means there are games I can't run in HDR. I can go back to the dual HDMI set-up, but this is less than ideal, especially as (for reasons I haven't been able to figure out, maybe just a bad DP->HDMI adapter) my PC has issues re-acquiring the receiver when I turn it off and on again, or use it to watch TV and then switch back to the PC (this isn't receiver specific).

So I'm leaning towards returning this one and getting something else, but I don't know which (if any) receivers will actually have the correct available colorspaces when plugged into a PC, and I don't want to be running back and forth exchanging receivers until I find one that works, and it's not like PC Display Color Specs are listed anywhere, and I don't have a laptop I can bring to the store to hook up and check.

I'm leaning towards a Denon (either the AVRS950h or the AVRX3600H for future-proofing). Do either of these have what I'm looking for? And if not can anyone recommend one that does? I need 4K, all the HDRs, and all the good sound things that seem like they're pretty standard now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Sounds like you have something that doesn't support HDMI 2.0. Hence limited to 4:2:0 mode which is what HDMI 1.xx's upper limit on 4k. It could be your video card or any adapter you put on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, wow. Yeah, looks like the receiver isn't HDMI 2.0 in. I guess I should've played closer attention to the box. I wouldn't have expected anything released in the past couple years to be below HDMI 2.0.

I'm running a Radeon 5700 XT, which is definitely HDMI 2.0, and when run to the TV directly I get all the pixel format options. Running to the receiver I didn't, but I just tried dropping the refresh to 30hz, and suddenly all the pixel formats are there.

Can anyone confirm that the Denon models I mentioned actually have HDMI 2.0 in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
Oh, wow. Yeah, looks like the receiver isn't HDMI 2.0 in. I guess I should've played closer attention to the box. I wouldn't have expected anything released in the past couple years to be below HDMI 2.0.
According to Onkyo, it does support HDMI 2.0. I have the older version TX-NT787 and it has no problem with HDMI 2.0.

Quote:

I'm running a Radeon 5700 XT, which is definitely HDMI 2.0, and when run to the TV directly I get all the pixel format options. Running to the receiver I didn't, but I just tried dropping the refresh to 30hz, and suddenly all the pixel formats are there.

I'd still looking into the video card and any adapters in between. If you can't figure this out, any receiver you buy will be a waste.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-11-2020, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
According to Onkyo, it does support HDMI 2.0. I have the older version TX-NT787 and it has no problem with HDMI 2.0.

I'd still looking into the video card and any adapters in between. If you can't figure this out, any receiver you buy will be a waste.
It is absolutely 1000% not the video card. And there are no adapters. And it is not the cable.

HDMI Out from Video Card -> TV: [email protected] with RGB 4:4:4 no problem.

HDMI Out from Video Card -> Receiver: 3840x2160 @ 60hz only has YCbCr 4:2:0.

Same output plug. Same cable. The only thing it can be is the receiver. And I can't find anything in the specs or the manual that actually says it's HDMI 2.0 in.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-15-2020, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so returned the Onkyo and picked up a Denon X1600H, hooked it up. Same colorspace problem. "Well, this sucks," thinks I. But I dig around in the settings on the receiver and there is a '4K Signal Format' option. By default, this is set to 'Standard.' Changing it to 'Enhanced' suddenly makes all the colorspaces available to my PC! Hooray!

The Onkyo doesn't have a setting anything like that anywhere.

That said, I think I might still take the 1600H back and get a different Denon because this one only has 1 HDMI out and I'd prefer two so I don't have to keep changing the input name on the TV when I'm using it for my PC or my dedicated 4K Blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page