Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 228
3D with MKV MVC files HTPC?

For those watching 3D MKV MVC files on a Windows 10 HTPC can you please advise what your setup is including display device, if you're using an A/V receiver, etc.?

I have an Epson 5040UB projector that has an HDMI 2.0 input and an HDMI 1.4 input. I also have a Denon X6300H A/V receiver and own the latest PowerDVD Ultra and a license for Windows 10.

On the HTPC I'd also like to be able to stream 4K HDR from Netflix/Disney+ etc. and play 4K UHD rips (MKV/M2TS) which I don't think will be a problem but I'm confused what I need in order to playback 3D MKV MVC files.

Last edited by WynsWrld98; 02-12-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You don't seem to need anything else. If you can play UHD, then you should be able to play 3D too. You need an HDMI 1.4 chain, which you already do if you have HDMI 2.0. Of course, you need 3D glasses with the projector, whatever standard and adapter its manual specifies.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post
You don't seem to need anything else. If you can play UHD, then you should be able to play 3D too. You need an HDMI 1.4 chain, which you already do if you have HDMI 2.0. Of course, you need 3D glasses with the projector, whatever standard and adapter its manual specifies.
I don't have a video card yet. I was hoping to hear from people that have Windows 10 HTPCs and are playing 3D MKV MVC files and can explain their exact setup. Perhaps you can explain what you mean by HDMI 1.4 chain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I don't have a video card yet. I was hoping to hear from people that have Windows 10 HTPCs and are playing 3D MKV MVC files and can explain their exact setup. Perhaps you can explain what you mean by HDMI 1.4 chain?
HDMI 1.4 chain means every component in the video chain - video card, AVR, display - is minimum HDMI 1.4 capable. I said that as I did not check your AVR. Any modern video card or Intel processor will do, especially one that can do UHD. The only non-trivial item is the software player, but you have that covered with PowerDVD.

For the UHD playback, it is more complicated, you have to read up.

My setups are AMD RX480 directly to UHD/3D TV (JS9000); and GT430 to an old Sony HDMI1.4 AVR to HT2150ST (edit: DLP 3D projector; PowerDVD on both).

Last edited by Roussi; 02-13-2020 at 04:08 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nvidia remove the 3dtv play on their drivers over a year ago? I think you have to use one of the first rtx drivers if you want to retain 3d playback in Windows.

Latley I just use a disc player for 3d. For 4K, makemkv to rip and playback with madvr, or if I don't rip then my Panny 820 disc player.

I also have a Epson pj (6050) and a Marantz AVR.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by MMoser; 02-13-2020 at 06:36 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDMI 1.4 chain means every component in the video chain - video card, AVR, display - is minimum HDMI 1.4 capable. I said that as I did not check your AVR. Any modern video card or Intel processor will do, especially one that can do UHD. The only non-trivial item is the software player, but you have that covered with PowerDVD.

For the UHD playback, it is more complicated, you have to read up.

My setups are AMD RX480 directly to UHD/3D TV (JS9000); and GT430 to an old Sony HDMI1.4 AVR to HT2150ST (edit: DLP 3D projector; PowerDVD on both).
I pulled up some info on your graphics card and it says this:
With HDMI® 2.0b, DisplayPort™ 1.3 HBR3, and DisplayPort 1.4 HDR2support, the Radeon™ RX 480 graphics card will have you prepared for the new standard of display technologies.
I'm assuming each of those are a separate connector on the video card. So does that mean for watching 3D you use the DisplayPort 1.4 connector of your video card (with an adapter to HDMI) but for UHD file playback you use the HDMI 2.0b connector?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I pulled up some info on your graphics card and it says this:
With HDMI® 2.0b, DisplayPort™ 1.3 HBR3, and DisplayPort 1.4 HDR2support, the Radeon™ RX 480 graphics card will have you prepared for the new standard of display technologies.
I'm assuming each of those are a separate connector on the video card. So does that mean for watching 3D you use the DisplayPort 1.4 connector of your video card (with an adapter to HDMI) but for UHD file playback you use the HDMI 2.0b connector?
HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with (includes) 1.4. This is why if it can do UHD, then it can do 3D. I have the TV plugged into the HDMI; one of the DisplayPorts is used for HDMI1.4 adapter to a Rift.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nvidia remove the 3dtv play on their drivers over a year ago? I think you have to use one of the first rtx drivers if you want to retain 3d playback in Windows.

[…]
Yes. I saw mentioned somewhere that you can install the 3D driver separately, together with the latest video driver.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-14-2020, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with (includes) 1.4. This is why if it can do UHD, then it can do 3D. I have the TV plugged into the HDMI; one of the DisplayPorts is used for HDMI1.4 adapter to a Rift.
Thanks. It seems it's more complicated than that though. Here's an article I found: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html
post #10 of 10 Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. It seems it's more complicated than that though. Here's an article I found: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s-drivers.html
Oh, ok, didn't know about this (Intel dropping 3D support). My Cherry Trail tablet does 3D just fine. And a dedicated card, rather than Intel integrated, is more useful for UHD anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page