PC & Receiver HDMI Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
PC & Receiver HDMI Issue

I am running a 1080 TI Nvidia video card with 1 DVI, 2 HDMI and 2 display ports. I have 1 DP connection going to the Monitor and 1 HDMI connection going to a Denon Receiver with a 5.1 speaker setup. PC is Intel based with a Asus MB.

When first powering up the PC, I can not get any audio out of the receiver. Does not matter if the PC is started up with the receiver off (receiver is turned on after the PC powers up) or on, the result is the same. The standard Win10 audio trouble shooting steps does not resolve the issue. From the sound control panel, I can see the Denon is connected (when turned on) and set the default device. I have run down various Win10 audio services stopping and restarting them but it does not correct the issue.

The only thing I have found that does work is having the Denon on and rebooting the PC. PC comes back up and audio works fine with no trouble shooting or other adjustments.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get the audio to work when the PC is starting up and eliminating the need to reboot the PC?

Thanks

Update: Turns out windows is defining two different devices for the Denon. One is being used when the PC initially starts up, the other is being used when the PC is restarted...

Sony XBR-65Z9D | Marantz AV7702MK II | Monoprice Monolith 7 channel Amp | SVS: Prime Tower(2), Ultra Center, Prime Elevation(4), PB-2000 Sub | OPPO UDP-203 Ultra HD | Nvidia Shield 17/19 Pro | HDfury X4

Last edited by jrolmstd; 02-13-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 629
I have had this issue with an older PC. If I unplug the HDMI cable after everything is booted up and plug it back in it would work or better yet just power off the receiver and power it back on after the PC has booted (both of these are forcing a new HDMI handshake). My issue would occur when PC woke from sleep or after a reboot from a win10 update. I upgraded my PC to a Ryzen7 and new mother board and still have the issue randomly with a reboot but audio repair does fix it now where it didn't in the past. I also don't allow it to sleep any more.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 6 Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I have done the hdmi unplug/plugin in the past but while it does correct the issue it is not convenient. Unfortunately, the re-cycling of the receiver does not fix the issue for me. The guts of the PC has been updated just recently to handle 4k so new MB, CPU, and memory followed up by moving to WIN 10 from WIN 7 (fresh WIN 10 install). At this point, I am not positive but i do not believe I had this issue under WIN 7. I have gone through and removed all the audio drivers and replaced them with new ones. Nothing has changed. Not installing the Nvidia drivers will force windows to install its own "HD" generic driver but the POS while showing the multiple speaker option(s) only plays in stereo.

I have been reduced to renaming the devices so one is labeled REBOOT and the other POWER-UP. Lame but effective with my only involvement being selecting the right output device based on how I get there.

Sony XBR-65Z9D | Marantz AV7702MK II | Monoprice Monolith 7 channel Amp | SVS: Prime Tower(2), Ultra Center, Prime Elevation(4), PB-2000 Sub | OPPO UDP-203 Ultra HD | Nvidia Shield 17/19 Pro | HDfury X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-14-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have done the hdmi unplug/plugin in the past but while it does correct the issue it is not convenient. Unfortunately, the re-cycling of the receiver does not fix the issue for me. The guts of the PC has been updated just recently to handle 4k so new MB, CPU, and memory followed up by moving to WIN 10 from WIN 7 (fresh WIN 10 install). At this point, I am not positive but i do not believe I had this issue under WIN 7. I have gone through and removed all the audio drivers and replaced them with new ones. Nothing has changed. Not installing the Nvidia drivers will force windows to install its own "HD" generic driver but the POS while showing the multiple speaker option(s) only plays in stereo.

I have been reduced to renaming the devices so one is labeled REBOOT and the other POWER-UP. Lame but effective with my only involvement being selecting the right output device based on how I get there.

Just for kicks...go disable "fast startup" in windows, then shut down the pc and restart and see if that helps...

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-14-2020, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Just for kicks...go disable "fast startup" in windows, then shut down the pc and restart and see if that helps...

Thanks for the feedback DavidinGA.

I am confused but happy. Changing the "fast startup" did not initially correct the problem so I turned it back on and recycled the tests power off Vs rebooting. I now found the same REBOOT labeled device showing up both times AND it always worked. The other DENON devices were coming up as disabled or not plugged in.

I have now been able to do cold start-ups, reboots without issue . Only thing left to try is to power up the PC with the receiver off and see if I can get the thing to work but that is just icing on the cake.

And yes, I did relabel the device as a DENON-AVR without any indication of power up or reboot

post #6 of 6 Old 02-14-2020, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post
Thanks for the feedback DavidinGA.

I am confused but happy. Changing the "fast startup" did not initially correct the problem so I turned it back on and recycled the tests power off Vs rebooting. I now found the same REBOOT labeled device showing up both times AND it always worked. The other DENON devices were coming up as disabled or not plugged in.

I have now been able to do cold start-ups, reboots without issue . Only thing left to try is to power up the PC with the receiver off and see if I can get the thing to work but that is just icing on the cake.

And yes, I did relabel the device as a DENON-AVR without any indication of power up or reboot
Good.

I don't quite understand the weird win10 problems associated with fast startup, but a lot of problems have been fixed by disabling it.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 5040, 150" 16:9 1.1gain, Source: HTPC w/madVR, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 4 diy Slim VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page